Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taking Back Sunday Band • Page 218

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by JordanKTM, Apr 25, 2016.

1. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Haha harder to pin down a definitive favorite for me but probably between that, All Excess and Can't Look Back. Tougher cause it's my favorite front to back

2. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

“it takes more” is a masterpiece

i know tbs songs are really democratically written and it can be really surprising who actually wrote them (mark writes a lot, for instance) but when i first heard that song i was like “yeah that’s some fuckin straylight john shit”

3. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

TW is a hard album to skip through just because of how well everything flows together. It's probably their most well-sequenced album.

4. myawrld

Regular

Tidal Wave didn't do much for me but I feel like that's because of how much I loved Happiness Is.

I'll need to go back and revisit with a fresh perspective to it because I'm loving "All Ready To Go."

5. RobJGolde Jan 8, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 8, 2019)
    RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

“It Takes More” always felt like a closer to me. The way that last chorus/outro just opens up is so great.

EDIT: I think “It Takes More” closes Side A of the Happiness Is... vinyl sooo technically it is a closer.

Bad Frequencies and slimfenix182 like this.
  6. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

I agree so much with this

xmilesross likes this.
  7. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Out of all the songs they discussed, that seemed to be the one they didn't really seem to want to talk about, because they both chimed in with random stories, but then never really finished any of them. It was kind of just a bunch of ramblings, and then Adam was finally like 'Oh, I just listened to it recently and didn't like how we finished the song with repeating the chorus three times' meanwhile completely brushing over Fred leaving (which he started the story with Fred leaving - but was cut off by Mark talking about his pill addiction).

Davjs likes this.
  8. MegT585

Trusted

I’m sorry if this has been asked already but when are we guessing the east coast dates will be announced? Probably a fall tour so probably no announcement til this summer?

Also: slowdance is my fav closer for sureeeeee

Kingjohn_654 and RobJGolde like this.
  9. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Their 2015 tour, they closed with It Takes More (before the Encore) and it was fucking awesome. The band started leaving one by one during the outro and then the outro continued to run while all the members were off the stage. Having seen TBS close to 15x, I gotta say, that is one live moment that will always stick out in my mind.

10. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

If I told you my least favorite TBS album closer, you'd all stab me.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  11. RobJGolde

I never knew about Mark’s pill addiction, but good on him for beating it. If he had to leave to go get well, I couldn’t imagine a new TBS album without his drumming on it.

And yeah there were a lot of random little tangents they went on when talking about that song that didn’t really go anywhere. IIRC I think Mark was the one who came up with the idea for “Swing”. Would’ve been cool to hear them give backstory to that song.

ncarrab likes this.
  12. RobJGolde

I saw that show in Philly, and I totally agree. That was an amazing way to close the main set. The lighting and production for that tour was on point too. On top of that, The Menzingers and Let Live opened? Unreal.

nickdr921 and ncarrab like this.
  13. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

The band told me on Twitter sometime in February

Kingjohn_654, MegT585 and Davjs like this.
  14. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

One thing I forgot to mention in my podcast recap was that Adam talks about when John and Shaun first returned, rehearsing for tour was a complete nightmare because Shaun and John 'didn't do their homework' and had a real hard time learning the songs they weren't apart of.

Adam said he worried about that happening again with them playing some of the deeper cuts on WYWTB and LN (and because John was focusing on his solo album) but he said the rehearsals have been much smoother and they both came prepared this time.

Bad Frequencies likes this.
  15. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Thanks for sharing the podcast @ncarrab. It was a cool listen. I really want to hear that fingerpicking version of "Like You Do" that Adam originally brought to the band. I really like the album version, but that could be cool.

Kingjohn_654 and ncarrab like this.
  16. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Another thing was, Adam and John are currently neighbors in Charlotte (I think we've all known that) but Adam said with his wife getting her Masters - they'll likely move to wherever she can find a job in the next couple of years and he doesn't think that will be in North Carolina.

Wonder what effect that will have on the band because John and Adam currently work on songs together in a studio in Charlotte.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  17. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Misha posted on IG before the holidays in a long post about what seemed like general life updates that this year they are hopefully moving across the country, so that makes sense.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  18. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i love you all but this is the only correct answer.

mattav152 and MegT585 like this.
  19. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

also also the demo of best places >>>>> the album version. a humble opinion.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  20. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

also also also i love hearing from mark, he's such a cool and nice dude and understandably we mostly hear from adam and john but whenever you let mark talk he has a lot of interesting things to say.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  21. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Mark follows me on Twitter. I have no idea why or how (I don't even follow him).

I know I've interacted with him on the site before.

Kingjohn_654 and Bad Frequencies like this.
  22. Eclipse

Regular

I remember at the holiday shows pop up shop John talking about looking up tabs and getting curious and looking at ones for the songs he wrote as well to see if they were right

23. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

at the NYC show a few weeks ago, john was talking about how he calls the middle of Louder Now "the gauntlet". From like Twenty/Twenty, through Spin and Miami he said were the hardest songs for him to get right. Seemed to nail it though.

24. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

"miami" seems hard af to play just from listening to it

25. RobJGolde

That solo tho