Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taking Back Sunday Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by JordanKTM, Apr 25, 2016.

1. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Close to mine but I didn't like new again

2. JordanKTM

@jordanmohler @killthemusictv killthemusic.net Prestigious

I always loved this version of Liar; I wish the solo was in the original song

AndrewSoup likes this.
  3. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

i just checked, thank heavens i didn't sell my TBS cd's
    i'm gonna rewatch that Louder Now DVD. Blonde Adam is classic!!!

4. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

Just got done spinning WYWTB and it definitely holds up. I'm pretty excited for LP7, it seems like they're having a good time recording it.

5. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

WYWTB
    TAYF
    LN
    HI
    NA
    TBS

Been listening to Louder Now a lot lately, its so under appreciated. Lots of good songs on there.

6. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I am not sure why I am interested in hearing the new record they are working because I haven't really liked anything since Louder Now. As more time passes I get the sense that I just preferred the songs Matt and Fred brought to the band. Here is my ranking:
    TAYF
    WYWTB
    LN
    -------
    HI
    TBS
    NA

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  7. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

i've come around so much on Happiness Is since it came out. i wasn't feeling it at first, thought it was kinda bland, but i love/appreciate the songs on there so much more now (esp Better Homes and Gardens & Beat Up Car)

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  8. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I just miss the old TBS songwriting style of taking two parts of a song and slamming them together (The Union, Bike Scene, Youre So Last Summer) or building up to a massive climax instead of having a verse-chorus-bridge (180 By Summer, Theres No I In Team, Head Club)

But they still write really solid rock songs so I'm down with whatever they decide to do next tbh

9. Michael Schmidt

Did anyone listen to the podcast Matt Rubano did a few months back? I know there is possibly some bitterness, but he seemed to be quite honest about the inner-workings of TBS. And if you step back and look at some of the drama centered around the band in the past it seems mostly valid to me. I love the idea of John and Shaun in the band again (lord knows we called for it a ton on AP), but I just haven't connected with anything recently. Some of the self-titled and HI songs are fine, but nothing is totally registering either. I want to really like this band again or something haha.

10. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

They got way too far away from the dual vocals thing since John came back, preferring to go with more Adam and melodies instead of Adam and John singing their own things, IMO. And most of their best songs since the reunion have been the songs that split the vocals more, IMO.

But that's not anything I haven't said before on here hah.

TAYF
    WYWTB
    LN
    HI
    TBS
    NA

11. "El Paso" and "Flicker Fade" are the two newish TBS songs I ever go back to. Those two songs rule!

12. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I did, and I suppose with any falling out there's two sides to the story. One thing that struck me was how much older he was than the rest of them. I think it's more than possible that the guys in the band didn't know how to cope with these things when he was introduced, and then found an opportunity to replace him down the line. Sounded like he came from a structured way of making music based on his education and prior work experiences, whereas TBS didn't. Not the end of the world or anything, but I don't think their inner workings are as juicy as I thought they were years ago. Personally, I was always more interested on why Fred was booted, but whatever.

13. Michael Schmidt

It was pretty nice having that podcast and the one Adam did with Shane pretty close together, so you sort of heard both sides in terms of the timing of Matt being ushered out and John and Shaun brought back in. Definitely sounds like Matt was slowed played a little bit despite having new material ready to go. I would be pissed if I was him too because he probably earned the right to be more in the loop on that.

Steve_JustAGuy likes this.
  14. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

Fred wasn't booted, he quit the band.

15. Collins

Trusted

This Is All Now and Call Me In The Morning are the best things they've done since the reunion, in my opinion. El Paso and Flicker are both jams tho.

16. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

No love for We Were Younger Then?

collin512 likes this.
  17. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

We Were Younger Then is good, and different for them. I really like All The Way, It Takes More, and Beat Up Car as well.

18. Jdaniels

Regular

I wish they'd have some dual vocal songs, because both still have pipes, but i have dug the hell out of Better Homes and Gardens the past few years and overall that record is strong for me.

Summer Man and Where My Mouth Is are some others I don't see get a lot of love... and Can You Feel That has been stucj in my head since some acoustic tv performance they did.

Overall, TBS introduced me into this type of "music" i guess? Ill always follow them, find at least a track or two I dig, but a big appeal was the dual vocals.

Although Ill always go to a TBS show, until the time I go and I dont feel that angst. Isnt that the fun?

teebs41 likes this.
  19. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I agree about the duel vocals they are badly
    Missed

20. CoffeeEyes17

Dual vocals were another thing that made them stand out from the pack I think, Fred and John both did well with their parts. Its a shame Fazzi didnt get a chance to shine on record, dude can really belt in addition to being the best guitarist TBS ever had from a purely technical perspective.

21. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Yeah my favorite Taking Back Sunday song is probably Can You Feel That right now, still think it should have been on HI in place of It Takes More or something.

But self titled and HI are my favorite TBS records, I had only liked Louder Now and singles before that.

22. Michael Schmidt

I don't know Fazzi's previous work too well, but I always thought Fred was a really good musician. Him and Rubano seemed to be more classically trained and have a good understanding how to write songs. Is Fazzi cut from the same sort of cloth? Was he from Facing New York?

23. CoffeeEyes17

He definitely had some classical training. I think he shows it off more on NA than Fred did on WYWTB or LN. The changing time signatures and the jazzier chord progressions are all over NA. He also shows those skills in his other band Happy Body Slow Brain.

24. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Now known as Rare Futures. Love that band.

25. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Just hearing the acoustic version of MakeDamnSure for the first time. I really like it.

It was released on a live and rare acoustic compilation 10 years ago.