Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taking Back Sunday - Twenty Tour Tour • Page 6

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by heymattrick, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Cammiecoke

They closed with both. Even made a point that they were doing a un rock and roll thing and closing with 2 of their most obscure songs in their catalog being non album songs.

2. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Yeah, they closed the main set with "Head Club" and encored with "Your Own Disaster" and "The Ballad of Sal Villanueva."

I don't understand why people are so confused about this tour.

Larry David and Jim like this.
  3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

lol seriously

4. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

who cares what gets opened and closed with who cares what order they play the dang songs in just go have fun at the rock and roll show and drink a beer or something

chewbacca110 and Ben Buchnat like this.
  5. mynamesgeneric

Regular

Absolutely, a couple nights of nostalgia of this level is worth it to me. I bought 4 tickets today and it was only $10 more than my ticket to Childish Gambino so I didn't feel all that bad.

6. Cammiecoke

I only care in that they are my favorite band and I have been wanting them to do something like this for a while now. With the size of their discography many songs don't get a represented as I and I assume many fans would want.

I was already going to both nights the minute this was announced. What I don't understand is some of the negativity and shots about nostalgia milking. This band tours constantly plays songs off every album. When Tidal Wave was coming out. They played it from front to back before it was even released.

7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Most of their sets are old album songs, which isn't even really a big deal to me, it's just annoying when they get so defensive about being called a nostalgia act (they are) then go out and tour and 80% of their setlist is from albums 1, 2 & 3.

it would also seem a lot less like nostalgia milking if they didn't already spend nearly 2 full years touring TAYF.

also, to each their own obviously, but this whole VIP thing bands do nowadays kinda sits funny with me, if anything THATs what seems like the cash grab, these fans are already gonna shell out the money its like "well for a 3 song acoustic set and special laminate pass lets see how much more we can make them pay".

ncarrab likes this.
  8. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Bought a ticket. Almost had a heart attack cause I accidentally got vip at first and didn't know why it was so expensive. I only got one night. I am in this for nostalgia grab. I haven't kept up with them since louder now and I'm not gonna pay for both nights cause I'm not that hyped to see them play Tell All Your friends twice. I don't mind whatever other album they decide to play. But I do think it'll be a fun time. Wish frank iero was opening my date tho.

9. Cammiecoke

But that 80% figure from albums 1, 2, and 3 just isn't accurate. I'll give you that it's the majority or their sets but not to that degree. They played TAYF tour 2012 it didn't last 2 years. They have released 2 albums since that time, one they played in full during a small club tour.

As to the VIP packages I agree they can be hit or miss. I have been apart of some real good ones but others that didn't seem that great. In the end its the fan or consumer's choice if they want to go that route. TBS's tickets are very reasonable.

I'm just glad they are still around and making music that I and others enjoy. 20 years is a long time to be apart of something. Many bands in their peer group or no longer around for many reasons. TBS probably could have gone the way of the dinosaur several times. I have been around since they were touring TAYF, I have seen every incarnation of this band, I enjoyed everything they have put out, and I just happy to be able to go to something like this with my friends who have been down this journey with TBS.

ramomcferno and Scott Siegel like this.
  10. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

It's inconvenient for fans, but brilliant from a marketing standpoint to say that, "Oh, you want to hear all three albums? Well the only way you can do that is to come to both nights, or take your chances that we play your favorite other album on the coin flip."

11. Cammiecoke

You would have to come both nights to hear all 3 albums no matter what. They aren’t going to play 3 in one night. Some places aren’t getting 2 nights.

TBS is my favorite band so I going to both nights but there are several bands/artists that I’m more casual about that I would do the same for if the played a multiple night concert like this.

12. Scott Siegel

TAYF boths nights, flipping a coin for either WYWTB and LN in addition to fan faves (which I guess will be both nights as well).

On nights they only play one show, it will be TAYF plus fan faves.

13. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Anyone else feel like seeing TAYF twice is gonna be a slog? Aside from a select few I really don’t care to see a lot of those songs.

Theemoflamingo and Daniel182 like this.
  14. Theemoflamingo

Regular

Can't really think of any album I'd be stoked to hear in full two nights in a row, especially from a band with plenty of other material I'd also like to hear

disambigujason likes this.
  15. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Yup. There's a reason why NFG didn't play the same album twice in the same city - I can't speak for everyone, but for a lot of those songs, I've seen them play them so many times that seeing them again twice in two nights (presumably in order-ish) is gonna be kinda repetitive.

16. zachmacD

Trusted

The thing that baffles me is that TAYF is the album they're playing if there's only 1 show. They should've either picked WYWTB or Louder Now plus fan favorites or both of those albums together and no encore. They already played TAYF extensively and even played that album acoustic in some cities. If you wanted to see that album live, you had plenty of chances.

disambigujason and ncarrab like this.
  17. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Great point. Not to mention that can’t possibly be the consensus fan favorite right?? Aside from cute what draw does that album have over either of the next 2??

zachmacD likes this.
  18. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I'm willing to bet that most casual TBS fans are more into Louder Now (simply because that was the height of their popularity, songs on soundtracks/MTV/Late Night shows/etc.) or even WYWTB than Tell All Your Friends. LN and WYWTB did really well on the Billboard charts and they were playing their largest shows around that time.

The die-hards (like most of us) got into TBS with TAYF, but this tour seems to be aiming more at nostalgia and casual fans - so it literally would make more sense to do Louder Now or WYWTB on the one-night shows than TAYF (which as previously mentioned by many - has kind of already been done to death)

disambigujason and zachmacD like this.
  19. zachmacD

Trusted

Exactly. I love bike scene, great romances, no I in team, and timberwolves but I didn’t even go to the anniversary tour and I’m tired of hearing those songs live. As soon as they announced the tayf tour 6 years ago, I’ve been anticipating a Wywtb tour so I’ll probably just eat it and buy tickets to both shows if they even come to philly. If they do 1 show I’ll pass

20. zachmacD

Trusted

Agree 100%. I saw them on their headlining tour in 2006 with Angels and Airwaves and it’s still crazy to me that they were headlining their own amphitheater tours.

21. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I first saw them/started getting into them around the Louder Now era when they did the projekt rev tour, but I still got way more into WYWTB. these days I appreciate LN a lot more than I used to but the nostalgia/emotional factor is almost completely absent. It’s just another great notch in the discog.

22. Cammiecoke

TAYF is still their biggest draw among most fans IMO at least from my exprience across seeing them over the past 15 years in 3 states, 30 + shows and friends that were/are fans of TBS. You Know How I Do, You’re So Last Summer, Bike Scene, Timberwolves etc all get great reactions.

TAYF is the only album of the first 3 that all the current members were apart of. I honestly didn’t think these albums would get the same treatment.

It’s easy to forget that us (forum goers) are a very small subset of people who attend their shows.

23. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I always assumed bike scene and timberwolves get good reactions because they’re old and mean more oldies are coming, not necessarily bc they’re good :P

24. babydanger

Regular

I’m pretty sure the VIP this time around doesn’t include an acoustic set. Those are often fun just to watch Adam and John interact though. However, I do like that they offered different options for people crazy enough to pay $160+ each night for two shows. (Also, somebody figured out that for most venues it is cheaper to buy the ticket and then a VIP upgrade because of the way Ticketmaster assesses fees. Edit: not significantly cheaper. Just like $5-$10.)

It is a cash grab but at the same time this is their career and it’s not like they’re getting a weekly paycheck (could be wrong). With families to support, I think the cash grab things are a way to support themselves and the creation of future albums because I don’t know if they’re making that much off future albums. I think a lot of fans ask for songs off TAYF in terms of people which don’t frequent their concerts because they’re trying to recapture whatever feeling. But I agree in that I am not interested in hearing TAYF two nights in a row.

25. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I mean, putting out a product of any kind (in this case, touring) is a cash grab. The difference is we want a better one lolz.

Sean Murphy likes this.