Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taking Back Sunday to Release ‘Tidal Wave’ • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Agreed, I wish the songs on the record worked more cohesively, but all in all it's a relatively solid collection of songs from a band that was obviously gonna have an adjustment period since they hadn't played together in years.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

The song preview is interesting, I like it. Curious to see how much of that sound shows up on the rest of the record. As I've said earlier in the thread, "Flicker, Fade" was obviously not representative of what the rest of Happiness Is... sounded like so I wonder if the same will be true of this album. Like what I'm hearing so far, though.

3. towhatend

If I randomly heard that song, I would have never guessed it was TBS. Seems as if they are trying are branching out, excited to see what the rest of the album sounds like.

4. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Almost complete lyrics:

What’s gonna happen when the old man goes

When ? ? ? Take control

When the guns are drawn outside your doors

Will you call for peace or will you join the war

What you gonna do when the law breaks in

Will you stand your ground or confess your sins

Oh no no no you don't know

Oh No no No you don't know

Where you gonna hide all he lies you talk

About back any of the soul you sold

When your will is weak and the weight is strong

Where will you go when you cant go on

What’s gonna happen on your dying day

Terrified to find the pearly gates

No no no you don’t know

No No No you don't know

You can beg you can plead you can try you can pray

Nothing’s gonna save you from the tidal wave

You can run, you can hide, you can leave you can stay

Nothings gonna save you from the tidal wave

You can run, you can hide, you can leave, you can stay

Guns are drawn outside your doors

Watcha gonna do when the law breaks in?

Whatcha gonna do when the law breaks in?

Oh no, no, no you don't know

Oh no no no you don’t know

You can run, you can hide, you can leave you can stay

You can run, you can hide, you can leave, you can stay

5. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Ive seen them live at least 10 different times since 2003. Honestly, the only time they were HORRIBLE was 2003 warped tour when they came back with Fred. That said, they played three songs of WYWTB, which wasn't released at the time so no one knew what the hell was going on. Other than that, their live shows are pretty great. Their energy is unmatched.

6. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I think Sad Savior, This Is All Now and You Got Me are their best songs in awhile. Uneven album but worth it for the high points.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  7. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Thanks for writing that up. I'd much rather read than strain to listen closely.
    I will say, I think it's "you can beg you can plead you can cry," as opposed to pry.

8. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I think you are right, typed these out as the ambien started kicking in so I could make sense of them and had a real hard time figuring it out

I'm really excited to see this live now that the studio version is released.

Is there any video of Holy Water that you guys think is worth watching?

js977 likes this.
  9. inagreendase

When's the last time you heard Bryan Adams cited as an influence? Something tells me Adam said "Ryan Adams" like most other people and the interviewer misheard.

10. NotBruce

Regular

I like the single and I'm sure I'll enjoy the album. It's fine. It's not amazing, but it's solid enough for me to add it to a road trip playlist. They aren't the same band as WYWTB but they're doing their thing so whatever, more power to them.

I couldn't care less how Adam chooses to define or classify a genre.

11. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I love They Don't Have Any Friends haha

12. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Single is aces. I'm really encouraged.

13. Anyone else getting a Dropkick Murphys vibe?

Anyways I'm digging this.

14. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

I really liked the music to it, but I felt like the lyrics were kinda pushed in and rushed.

15. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

I might be alone in saying this, but I think "Everything Must Go" will go down as Top 3 best TBS songs of all time. Go back and re listen to it today if you have the chance. Song is just so good.

hongfong00, js977 and Ben Lee like this.
  16. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I really dislike New Again besides four songs but that's absolutely one of their best songs ever. I don't think you're close to alone, I've never seen that song talked bad about.

17. Leftandleaving

Won't disagree there haha

18. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Just went back and revisited their first four albums during a long drive and I have to say I still don't understand the love for Louder Now, I think the guitars are really interesting but the mixing makes the record feel flat overall. I did like New Again a lot more than I remembered though and Everything Must Go is so great

19. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

hmm. just listened to "Everything Must Go" for the first time. definitely don't see (or hear, i should say) what some of you do. Adam's voice is awful in the chorus. screechy.

also never saw the album artwork for New Again before. TBS sure likes album artwork with people's backs to the camera. interesting.

20. jciswhatis

Ugh, I hate America. Supporter

Since it came out that has probably been my most listened to song by them. Not the album, just that song. That and This Is All Now are constants for me.

Frank Lapidus likes this.
  21. Leftandleaving

Yeah never got the love for EMG

22. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

The echo effect or whatever it is on Adam's voice in "Everything Must Go" chorus is a little off putting, but to me it's a minor flaw in an otherwise great song.

23. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I like this song. I don't know how much staying power it'll have with me, but it's a fun jam.

24. Leftandleaving

I'm listening to this single finally. This is way different and fun as hell. I'm so excited for this album hahaha

25. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

Any "Everything Must Go" fans have to check out this version of it. I would say Live At Oresanz is my most listened to TBS album. Some of the arrangements they do sound amazing, and Adam's voice is stellar throughout.

thenewtypetheory, js977 and OotyPa like this.