Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taking Back Sunday to Release ‘Tidal Wave’ • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 27, 2016.

1. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Emo stands for emotionally charged punk rock.. so yea it doesn't just mean "emotional"

beachdude42 likes this.
  2. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

I think he means it in the sense that he doesn't agree with genre titles in general and he calls anything emotional "emo" - he's been saying the same thing for 10+ years. It's his view on it, who cares? I don't necessarily agree with it but I have no issue with him having that outlook on it.

3. Hunter Norman

Regular

I think most everyone is missing his point with that comment. Regardless of the "official" definition of emo, he's kind of showing how pointless it is to attribute music with that term. Emotion is still a key component of that definition

4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Really hoping for an interesting record this time. After really enjoying the self-titled album, I found Happiness Is... to be pretty boring, honestly. Especially considering they led with "Flicker, Fade," a song that screams classic TBS, only to deliver an album that I can't seem to get all the way through since the first couple times I heard it. Disappointing. I'll reserve judgment until I hear the whole album this time, rather than the first couple singles, because I'm not going to be fooled again.

5. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

It's confusing because the term has been used to refer to multiple genres that don't sound alike, i.e. The World Is... and Boys Like Girls have both been called emo before.

supernovagirl and Penguin like this.
  6. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Totally agreed. "Emo" has always been a stupid designation.

7. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I don't think his quote was that offensive, his point was clear. That said, I don't get why people have to run from the emo name anyway. If someone on the street asked me what I listen to and I said emo, they'd have a rough idea what I'm talking about. Is there ambiguity? Sure. But they're genres, not definitions. Genres are not bad things.

On a more important note, Happiness Is was terrific and I'm excited for this.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  8. Callum Macleod

I really enjoyed HI as well. Excited to hear Tidal Wave, live recording sounds pretty different for TBS.

js977 likes this.
  9. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I've been avoiding live recordings but the reception seems to be pretty good. My bar is set high.

10. heymattrick

Sending my love

Ahem...TBS, you're supposed to drop the single when you announce an album. Sheesh. The live recording of "Tidal Wave" in my voice memos on my phone from the Chicago show earlier this month isn't doing enough for me. Good jam though, has a Ramones-y vibe and some good back and forths with Nolan.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  11. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

This thread isn't as full of TBS hate as I expected. Excited for this, happiness is was fantastic

12. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Really excited to see that Americana influence shine a bit more than it has. Also very content with the evolution of their sound.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  13. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

Didn't know they were writing new music. I feel like I should have given Happiness Is... more of a chance. I loved the self-titled album, but have only listened to HI one or two times and it didn't do much for me.

14. CMilliken

Trusted

Excited for another album by these guys. Also thrilled it's coming sooner than I expected.

15. Callum Macleod

16. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Am I one of the only ones who like "New Again" more all these years later ? It's not a perfect record, but it's a good spin

Daniel182, Frank Lapidus and js977 like this.
  17. Callum Macleod

I like it.

18. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Yellowcard, Bayside, TBS, Saosin and Blink all the in same year.

This is amazing.

Solid album. Always liked it, spent way too much time on ap.net talking to other people about how it wasn't trash.

19. schackbr

Regular

20. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Yeah, New Again is good. It's not perfect, but it was totally not worth the vitriol it got. It's definitely in the tier with the self-titled and Louder Now.

Happiness Is... Was their best work in a decade. I'm optimistic about their new stuff - it seems like the third record in a row with this lineup could be really, really good.

21. schackbr

Regular

hi-res artwork on amazon uk

[​IMG]

js977 and AshlandATeam like this.
  22. blacktaxi2d

HAHA maximum throwback. i miss how politically incorrect this video and time period were, this video would never gain traction today

23. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I'm the complete opposite. I really don't like Self-Titled at all. In fact, considering the circumstances ('the reunion album'), it may be one of my most disappointing albums of all-time. Happiness Is... on first few listens, I started to feel the same way, but then for whatever reason, I really, really got into it. I still rank it their 4th best album, but it's a really, really good album imo. They did a lot of stuff on that record they never did before and to me, it was just a big step forward with a more mature sound.

24. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Same way. Didn't like it much when it came out, but over the years, I've really grown fond of it. There are some great tracks on there. In my opinion, MUCH better than Self-Titled, which to me, is easily their worst record.

25. AshlandATeam

Trusted

The artwork is great.