Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taking Back Sunday to Release ‘Tidal Wave’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Taking Back Sunday have announced, via Entertainment Weekly, that they will release Tidal Wave on September 16th.

When asked if he would classify Tidal Wave as part of the emo genre associated with their past albums, Lazzara explains, “Look, in my mind every album anyone’s ever written is an emo album because there’s a lot of emotion that goes into all of that. You can’t listen to ‘Hey Jude’ and tell me that’s not an emo song. I don’t like being pigeonholed because I think there’s more to it than that. I think this record highlights that very well, so no I wouldn’t consider it an emo record in the traditional sense of the word.”

So … The Beatles: greatest emo band of all time?

2. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

This should be an interesting thread.

3. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Pretty excited about this. Happiness Is... is a criminally underrated album. 2016 continues to just dominate with music releases.

4. SPine

Trusted

Small venue tour? If Grog Shop is on that list sign me up

Kerrbs and bptky like this.
  5. Shenevercalled

Newbie Supporter

I'll just leave this internet artifact here

6. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

While Adam's example is very extreme, I mean, I get what he's saying. All music is emotional - so therefore, all music could be considered 'emo.' TBS's style has changed drastically over the past 5+ years. Adam really seems to cringe at that word, he gets very defensive in most interviews when it's brought up. I would too if I were being asked about it in every interview for 15+ years.

7. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

That's EXACTLY the venue that popped in my head when he said that. Haha.

SPine likes this.
  8. tomtom94

Trusted

Still on Hopeless?

CMilliken likes this.
  9. JoshRaptorTire

My Dinosaur Life

10. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

I guess John didnt get the memo about outfits

11. Davjs

Trusted

I've always said I don't get EMO being a genre or classification. If it stands for emotion, doesn't every song have emotion?

CMilliken likes this.
  12. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

"You can’t listen to ‘Hey Jude’ and tell me that’s not an emo song" is the dumbest quote I have ever heard about music.

fame, mercury, beachdude42 and 4 others like this.
  13. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

But that's literally not what the term emo means. If pop stands for popular does that mean a song is not a pop song unless it hits the charts? Then what are the other 7 songs on any Katy Perry album that don't chart?

Genres are meaningless, especially subgenres, but that doesn't mean you just get to throw any artist into any genre. I can't throw Elton John into classical because he plays a piano.

14. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Looking forward to this, dumb Beatles reference aside. TBS has never released a bad album, in my opinion. I'm not sure they've released a GREAT album since TAYF or WYWTB, depending on how charitable one wants to be with the term great. But they're always firmly in the camp of 'yeah, this is pretty good.'

15. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I never understood the confusion about emo as a genre. Like if you're confused about what it sounds like-- listen to some of the most influential emo records...? Dig deep into the genre and focus on the guitar sounds, the vocal melodies, the lyrical themes, etc. That's how you understand a genre.

16. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Will be looking forward to this.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  17. atomiccounty

Regular

They played this the other night when I saw them, what I guess is the title track. It was an enjoyable song. I'd like to see them mix it up a bit of this album.

18. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

I've really dug the live version of Tidal Wave that has been floating around for awhile. Excited for this record and really hope the new sounds they are going for work well for them. I'll always give anything TBS puts out an honest,fair listen.

19. kidinthebushes

Trusted

The two new songs they played at Taste of Chaos sounded good!

20. klaszlogt

Weird website for them to announce on. Excited though. Wish they announced more, like the artwork and posted a single, etc.

21. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

Yes, please! If they do, hopefully they play two sets like New Found Glory did there a few years ago.

22. I'm just referencing these two posts again in the event that someone missed them above. They're that important.

beachdude42 and Anthony_D'Elia like this.
  23. efp722

Regular

Looking forward to this.

24. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

Throwing all of my nostalgic bias to the side, I easily consider Happiness Is... their best work to date. Can't wait to hear new material.

Guys Named Todd and CMilliken like this.
  25. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

I don't take Lazzara's comments to ignore the importance of the genre.

I think he's still reacting to connotations of what being an "emo" band meant back then. Similar to how Gerard Way was hostile to the same suggestion.

I was made fun of for liking emo music in Jr.High because it was too emotional. Adam is addressing that this conception of 'emo' music is ignorant when you can apply it most music. He thinks his music is more varied than that.