Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taking Back Sunday - Tidal Wave (September 16, 2016) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by xtbs7645x, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Blake Brown

The preorder bundles are interesting. They even teamed up with David Kennedy to do a collaboration coffee.

2. Blake Brown Jun 28, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 28, 2016)
    Blake Brown

Also his (Adam's) wife took the photos for the album. Their son Asa is pictured on the cover.

3. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

I'm sad that I don't like it but I'm willing to give the rest of the album a chance.

4. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Not sure how I feel about the new song yet. Gonna give it a few more spins. At the moment, it hasn't grabbed me. Promising sound, even if the song isn't immediately captivating.

5. marineal

I don't know why, but I just listened to "Tidal Wave" and its goddamn awful. They sound like a 2nd tier Against Me.

6. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

New song is alright. Not entirely sure how I feel about it yet.

7. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Yeah exactly. It's not a promising or flattering sound, and most of the band looks bored playing it.

8. dead_fm

Regular

after three listens I've determined that I do not like this track. oh well, I lost interest after Louder Now anyway.

9. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I'd probably like the artwork a lot more if it weren't for the familiar letting. Also, the faded shape of a record is kind of cliche / overdone. Not big complaints though. I like the song though. I'm guessing the entire album is going to sound the same pretty much.

10. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Do not like the new track, do like that it reminded me to listen to the Brian Fallon record some more.

11. Paul Beaumont

Listened to the new track a few more times and it's growing on me. Really fun listen.

12. Collins

Trusted

I'm not so sure it will sound the same. Happiness Is was pretty varied and I could see them going in a couple different directions on this record.

Blake Brown likes this.
  13. janexo

Regular

this is a really, really, really bad song.

14. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Great song imo nice little change of pace

15. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

I like the new song

16. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Gaslight Anthem is my number one musical obsession, and I dont hear those comparisons whatsoever, especially to almost anything on Get Hurt. Closest song of theirs to me is Rollin' & Tumblin, and even that is only a faint resemblance. I definitely hear the clearance rack Against Me! comparison, but I'm just glad Adam is singing something within his actual vocal range for once.

On first listen, I heard the intro drum fill and thought "sounds like Bouncing Souls", then the guitars kicked in and I thought "oh hey, Ramones", then the vocals queued Laura Jane Grace. Overall, it's derivative, but I like everything they threw in the stew... even if they used store brand ingredients. I dislike 90% of TBS' catalog but will check this record out for sure.

collin512 likes this.
  17. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Yeah, I don't like the new song. Gave it a try, and even after 6 listens, I don't remember much about it other than thinking, "this is just a really shitty Menzingers cover band." They typically have a few solid jams on their albums, so I won't write this off entirely. Yet. lol

18. stuckinvhs

Social Justice Wizard Prestigious

what's the deal with that? i mean it doesn't bother me or anything but its definitely become kind of a trend.

19. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I think it's a relatively easy way for a designer to make something feel "vintage" in a sense. It simulates a vinyl sleeve for a record that has been used for a while and the indent sinks in. Same thing goes for writing track names or other text towards the top (Jack's Mannequin Glass Passenger and Gaslight Anthem Handwritten come to mind) and certain logos. They all kinda throwback to when vinyl had a bit more of a standardized look.

collin512 likes this.
  20. stuckinvhs

yeah and it does kind of look cool but i don't see how so many artists are doing it now. Probably solely because it looks cool. At least its not tacky.

21. RJ Knorr and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  22. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

23. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Shortest track on the record by quite a bit.

24. Caterpillars

I saw them the other day and was really thrown off by their new song. I think it would fit better in a Green Day set but good for them for trying new things.

25. stuckinvhs

way too broke for that but that coffee sounds like it would be really good.