Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taking Back Sunday Live Acoustic

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Yikes. Don't want to give Barstool any clicks.

scottlechowicz and Jason Tate like this.
  3. thegreatbenbino

Be excellent to each other! Supporter

(Taking Back) Sundays are for the Boys

marceting, Kingjohn_654 and Ryhaan like this.
  4. Dog Fish

Mutt

I was a huge tbs fan back in the day, but will always be the first to admit that adam struggles singing live. Why do people give him a pass? Isn't it objectively bad? If this was a brand new band and this was the first performance you saw - would your first thought be "oh shit, I need to check this band out!"

5. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

the comments are fucking brutal lmao

6. Sean Murphy Dec 19, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 19, 2018)
    Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i'm of the same opinion. i love TBS, saw them the other night, and FWIW they killed all 3 albums in their entirety, sounded as good as ever, but adam should not be allowed to perform acoustic like this.

7. Davjs

Trusted

I was just going to comment on they sounded great on all 3 songs..... but uhhh.... Nice weather today?

BackyardHero11 and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  8. Dog Fish

Mutt

username as in the sean murphy from little giants?

9. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

sadly i am a regular sized sean murphy

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  10. John

Trusted Prestigious

Barstool, man...

scottlechowicz likes this.
  11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

they should have done a pizza review

Kingjohn_654 and ncarrab like this.
  12. schackbr

Regular

for whatever reason he changes the way he sings on acoustic tracks....and it's odd.

saw them at Starland the other night and he sounded really really great

13. MacbethSin

Regular

Sounds pretty good to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

slimfenix182, Ryhaan and Davjs like this.
  14. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Bob Dylan, Craig Finn, Conor Oberst, John Prine, Townes Van Zandt, John Hiatt, Matthew Ryan, Neil Young, early Ryan Adams... These are all guys that could be considered "objectively bad singers" because, well, they aren't good singers. It doesn't mean they don't write good songs though.

heymattrick and orangehorizon like this.
  15. Dog Fish

Mutt

I think the difference is the contrast between his studio voice and the live voice displayed here. I get that other's have their live issues too (tom delonge), but the others got big because of their unique, albeit not great, voices.

16. nickdr921

Regular

They obviously weren’t trying to strain their voices because they had a long weekend of singing ahead of them. They were prob very content with giving a meh performance to a bunch of college bros who love and appreciate them anyways. Shit i think it’s cool they went there in the first place.

Kingjohn_654 and AshlandATeam like this.
  17. schackbr

Regular

this is just something he does on acoustic tracks. he doesn't do this full band live for the most part. watch full band performances from 2018

18. AshlandATeam

Trusted

“Adam can’t even sing live” will be the opening argument for the Leslie Jones character when TBS gets their own SNL skit.

19. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Also, to me Adam sounds really good here. I enjoyed it greatly.

orangehorizon, Kingjohn_654 and Davjs like this.
  20. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

This is probably the best his voice has sounded in an acoustic performance I've seen actually. He really overdoes it with the live warbling or whatever sometimes though, an odd choice lol

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  21. Iain

Regular

I love TBS. However, on some tours its as if they turn his microphone down deliberately. Maybe just me.

22. zachmacD

Trusted

You guys are tough. I actually thought this was really good and I liked All Ready to Go better than the studio version. Honestly, I think Adam sounded way better than John

23. Ryhaan

I thought this was a very entertaining performance. Loved how Adam just goes off on tangents. He sounded fine to me. Probably not trying to strain his voice before playing 3 albums at Irving. He put a new spin to the songs. Viva La Stool!

24. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

lol @ all the Barstool haters

enjoyed the performance

Ryhaan and HarrisonMonopoly like this.
  25. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I honestly can’t think of anything more fitting than a “lol @ barstool haters” comment from an American flag avatar.