Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taking Back Sunday – Tidal Wave

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Taking Back Sunday have long been a divisive band. From swaths of fans who only ever loved the band’s classic debut, to those who swear by the middle and most commercial era of the band, to those who’ve just hopped on and prefer the band’s newest material — there just doesn’t seem a way to please every group of Taking Back Sunday fans.

Enter Tidal Wave. The funny thing about this album is that while it borrows elements from each previous album, it’s also the most distinct Taking Back Sunday album. The most obvious point of reference is the album’s first single. The title track is a rollicking Ramones-style punk track with one of the most captivating hooks the band’s written in years. The song is a bit of an outlier amongst an album that’s something of an outlier itself in the band’s discography. The rest of the album is far more in the vein of the band’s older material, injected with a bit of Americana/heartland rock influence for good measure.

The back-to-back pairing of “Fences” and “All Excess” is where that influence shines through the most and, a bit unexpectedly, it sounds completely natural. While the two wear the band’s newfound style proudly — with bright acoustic guitars and Petty-flavored riffs — they retain just enough of that Taking Back Sunday signature sound to feel completely at home on an album with songs like “Call Come Running” and “Holy Water.” Both of which harken back to the days of Where You Want to Be. The former is destined to become a crowd favorite at shows, and the latter carries some of the same aggression the band into on that album with its rough chorus. Sure, Adam Lazzara’s vocals might still take a bit to get used to, but once they sink in, it’s a fun shout along.

However, it’s “Death Wolf” that’ll win over fans who miss the unbridled energy of Tell All Your Friends. From its distinctly-theirs riff to its dueling Lazzara/John Nolan tradeoff verses, the song is a modern take on the almost-post-hardcore sound of the band’s debut. I’d also argue it’s one of the weaker tracks on Tidal Wave. Since it’s a reasonably heavy song it feels a bit out of place on this less in-your-face album. It does lend itself to the argument that Tidal Wave is the band’s most diverse album though. And, it stands in sharp contrast to the record’s two ballads. “I Felt It Too” is in the running for the best song this band’s written, a gorgeous and swelling track built around a dreamy bridge. It’s not a song I’d ever expected to hear on a Taking Back Sunday album. Then we come to the piano-driven “I’ll Find a Way to Make It What You Want.” This song, without giving too much away, is strong evidence that these guys still know how to close an album out right.

Even if this album is never canonized the way Tell All Your Friends or Where You Want to Be are — Tidal Wave is special in its own right. Not just for being the one album that might be able to bridge the gap between fans of the different eras of the band, but for being, a really good rock and roll album. And who knows? Maybe in ten years Tidal Wave will be seen as their magnum opus. It’s the most energized the band’s sounded in years and a testament to the band’s ability to keep things fresh seven albums in. And even for a fan of all the Taking Back Sunday’s albums — this one makes the band feel new again.

2. bloodinthesand

Regular

This is the weirdest album to me. I hate it one day. The next day I listen to it, I love it. I guess I would give it a 5/10? We don't go in there is a jammer though

thenewtypetheory likes this.
  3. SoundInTheSignals

@Bake_Wear / soundinthesignals.com

Good review! I probably prefer Happiness Is a little bit to this one, but this is still an overall solid album. I think "Tidal Wave" is a pretty good song.

Side-note: Am I the only one that thinks TBS needs to step up their artwork game? It seems like Louder Now is the last time they had halfway decent album artwork.

4. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

While I agree that "Death Wolf" sounds a bit out of place, it's also one of the only tracks I truly love on this record lol

Bayside 182 likes this.
  5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Tidal Wave is definitely the best record yet since John and Shaun came back into the fold. It's the most fully realized and cohesive as a whole.

"Death Wolf", "All Excess", "Call Come Running", "In The Middle of it All", and "We Don't Go in There" are the half I enjoy. The rest I'm meh to or doesn't hook me in and that's fine. I've finally accepted that. Prior to the S/T, every record of theirs I instantly loved. Those days are gone and now if I can enjoy a couple songs off a new record then cool.

6. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

Album is really cool and plenty of interesting parts. I personally love the artwork. Definitely their best since WYWTB

Dan O'Neill and fenway89 like this.
  7. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I like this a lot more than Happiness.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  8. skaorsk8

"You Can't Look Back" is the stand-out track of the album. The first 3 songs are great, the rest I'm not impressed with.

Bayside 182 likes this.
  9. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

I think this artwork is fantastic. Also, I'm sure it means way more than to them than any of the other ones.

Dan O'Neill and AshlandATeam like this.
  10. efp722

Regular

Hm, for me, Louder Now and New Again(? the one after LN) have the weakest art. This and Happiness Is have the strongest

11. efp722

Regular

Really surprised with how much I enjoyed this album. I think this stands tall, right next to WYWTB, as TBS's best work.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  12. alexjlow

Regular

I must say that I have really been into this album (even over Against Me!'s new one which I certainly wasn't expecting).

Aside from the first 3 pre-released tracks I particularly enjoy 'Fences', 'Homecoming' ,'I Felt It Too' and 'All Excess'. Really solid album.

13. schackbr

Regular

excited to see more peoples reaction to this record.

i haven't stopped listening since it was released. it's great.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  14. Clockwork

Regular

I feel like Louder Now is the only time they had good artwork. The rest is okay, though, except maybe the self-titled.

SoundInTheSignals likes this.
  15. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I stated over in the Music thread that at first listen, I wasn't blown away and was underwhelmed, especially because that thread is REALLY hyping the album. Then, I spent the entire weekend with it and have now listened front to back at least 10 times and I'm in love with it. I really enjoyed Happiness Is...as well. I'm not sure which one is better. All I can say is, I don't dislike ANY songs on this new album. I disliked a few on Happiness Is...

I feel like this captures the energy of their earlier records while still making more mature music like their last few albums.

Also, anyone else feel like Homecoming should have been the closer? I like I'll Find a Way, but I maybe would have put that 2nd to last on the album.

16. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

This artwork reminds me a lot of WYWTB which I like a lot. I think I need a lot more time with this record to fully appreciate it for what it is. It kinda lost me in the second half proabaly because I was listening while driving and not paying a ton of attention to detail. I'll give it another go at home after work today.

17. AshlandATeam

Trusted

This album makes me feel at 32 what TAYF and WYWTB made me feel at 18 and 20. It really is everything I've wanted TBS to be.

Also, on the artwork: I've always felt like their artwork is top notch. That's a really a secondary thing, but I don't have any complaints about any of their album covers at all.

18. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

The three song run with Can't Look Back, Fences, and All Excess is so good. Might be my favorite string from them.

19. Dan O'Neill

Regular

I've never disliked a TBS album, but I haven't loved one since Where You Want To Be - until now.

Tidal Wave is amazing.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  20. Will Montei

this record is almost as good as their crowing jewle, deja entendu

Amber likes this.
  21. The last 4 songs really make this album for me.

dp619, Dan O'Neill and AshlandATeam like this.
  22. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Great record. Love the Petty vibes running throughout it.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  23. Kuri44

Happiness Is has some great ideas but the album as a whole kinda sounded like a band that settled and was getting tired. Tidal Wave is breath of fresh air, no its not their best, but they just sound energized and alive on this one. Fun album. Their best album since Louder Now

24. ANTEMASQUE

Exactly how I feel. I loved the first three songs then after that it's like each song got worse and worse. Really disappointed in this album.

25. bloodinthesand

Regular

Screw Taking Back Sunday...I just like your stryder avatar

robb likes this.