Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taking Back Sunday – “You Can’t Look Back” • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 23, 2016.

1. doubledribble

Regular

Absolutely. But this sounds so much like Tom Petty, that I instantly think they sound like Tom Petty and less like anything I know from TBS. I never said that they shouldn't change styles. This just does nothing for me. That's all I really meant.

2. somethingliketj

And that's why you always leave a note.

The verse vocals remind me way too much of "Boys of Summer"...

3. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Isn't the point of bands progressing that they metabolize the different influences as they get older, rather than mimicking them?/not a TBS fan

Also, and I'm not sure how this is possible, but Adams voice has gotten worse.

4. doubledribble

Regular

That's exactly how I feel. The first 2 songs feel more like tributes to artists they love than actually integrating that sound into what they already do.

5. aniafc

Trusted

That's fair, sorry I misinterpreted what you meant.

I understand though, it's certainly a shift that will lose some people and gain some. I just hope it does well for them, they've always been solid guys to me.

doubledribble likes this.
  6. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Song is great, TBS is never bad

7. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  8. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I like it. It feels like it drags on a bit, but it's a solid song.

9. Slave to the Grind

I've always been a casual TBS fan, this doesn't change my opinion of them either way. Between the 2 songs released so far, i do think it sounds better than the last 2 or 3 albums.

10. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I didn't hate this, but it's definitely boring and sounds like every other local band I've heard in the last 2 years.

11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I did and while it's better than S/T, it didn't do that much for me. Even their best song on there (When We Were Young) doesn't give me the excitement that Louder Now and New Again still do.

12. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

This record is going to be great

ChaseTx likes this.
  13. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I don't understand the negativity either. These guys are creeping towards 17/18 years as a band so kudos to them for finally stepping out of their comfort zone. Looking forward to hearing the whole album.

Letterbomb31 and ChaseTx like this.
  14. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Yeah I feel like they just can't win around here

15. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

You can listen to spotify for free on computer just not on mobile devices.

I can hear that. And "Tidal Wave" reminded me of "I Fought The Law".

16. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Rdio was just the absolute best.

17. Rushmore33

This sounds like it could fit on the last two records easily. Oh, and it's really very good. I'm not 16 anymore, this is the sound I want from TBS these days.

ChaseTx likes this.
  18. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

That's the truth.

slimfenix182 and ChaseTx like this.
  19. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Exactly. But a band like Brand New or The Hotelier (I like both) could fart into a mic for 3 minutes and people would be all about it haha.

truelovewaits and ChaseTx like this.
  20. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Good point, I totally forgot about this.

It really was. The UI was miles better than any alternative. I really wish they had done a better job of marketing themselves before Spotify hit the US. Huge missed opportunity.

Jim likes this.
  21. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Also, that video... wtf? The vomiting of blood kind of came out of know where.

22. jco3 Aug 23, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 23, 2016)
    jco3

Regular

Hey, is it me or does this song feel kinda mono in terms of the stereo field? There's not a ton going on far to the left and right channels. I like the song, especially the bridge.

Okay, WTF! The youtube version w/ the video sounds way different than the version on Spotify. The song in the video on youtube is in mono - or at least sounds like it is -, and the one on Spotify sounds fantastic with full left and right channels. Not sure what happened, but Hopeless should get on that. Anyone on the Chorus.fm staff able to get word to people on Hopeless's team?

23. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

wait, that's not the normal reaction to hearing a TBS song?

I'm just kidding with you.

aoftbsten likes this.
  24. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I'll admit, I chuckled.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  25. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

All of the first three are gold, then it was a slow decline into boring.

aniafc likes this.