Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tabletop/Pen & Paper RPGs (Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder, etc.) • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Shrek, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

have always been curious about playing D&D, so I bought the starter kit. it’s something new for my friend group to do!!!

Shrek and theagentcoma like this.
  2. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

you have opened the floodgates

Shrek likes this.
  3. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

one of my primary resolutions in 2020 is to get back in the D&D game. i have been desperate to play for like three years but have been unsuccessful because there are 100 people that want to play for every 1 person who wants to DM. so, im gonna work on being a better DM. i wanna start running starter set level stuff around March on Roll20 which is a fantastic online D&D tool. if you're interested in playing under my amateur hour dungeon master skills in a few months, lmk!

if you're curious about playing or inexperienced - so am i. let's do it.

theagentcoma likes this.
  4. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

I really should probably start posting in this thread since I'm currently involved in two D&D groups - one as a full-time player, the other as a half-player, co-DM. My full-time player group is about to start a homebrewed 1-20 5e campaign set in Chult, and I'll be playing with a halfling warlock there. In my other campaign, I'm letting my co-DM take the lead for now since I haven't had any time to plan a game with a newborn. We're working our way through Dragon of Icespire Peak from the D&D Essentials Kit where I'm playing as a tiefling archer. That go isn't going as swimmingly at the moment since the last two sessions have been cancelled last minute due to illness.

I'd also be down for a chorus game if we could make it work. Probably couldn't commit to DMing due to time commitments, but I'd be an eager player.

Shrek and theagentcoma like this.
  5. Shrek

2020 has been raining D&D on me and i couldnt be happier about it. recently started playing in a Curse of Strahd campaign and am going to DM with the same group starting with Dragon of Icespire Peak. ive also gotten back into painting minis, and fuck, literally nothing else makes a day fly by as fast. did the first pass on a troll and a couple of bugbear tonight. the lighting in my apartment is almost impenetrably bad but im persisting. on that note if anyone has recs on a tabletop craft lamp im all ears.

theagentcoma likes this.
  6. theagentcoma

I have a couple boxes of Tau Empire models from 40K and I haven't even assembled them because the thought of gluing and painting all of them stresses me out lol

Shrek likes this.
  7. Shrek

yeah my buddy convinced me to go in on one of the Warhammer battle packs that are like two armies designed for somewhat self contained play, my half was like a bug army. regardless we both bailed before ever playing because assembly was a nightmare - we both had super glue on our hands for days at a time lol.

i love painting minis, though. only done four total, first being a human fighter a year ago that came out pretty rough. got back into on new years day and did a dragon that came out real well. this weekend i went smaller scale and did a pack of two bugbear. really pleased with them! took 6 or 7 hours all told tho and staying patient with it when you fuck the same eye up 10 times is rough. v rewarding tho and makes me that much more excited to run a game.

wish i got into it earlier tho. at 29 with a family lineage of shitty joints, im already seeing the skill ceiling my shaky hands are leaving me with.

theagentcoma likes this.
  8. theagentcoma

post piccssss

Shrek likes this.
  9. Shrek

def will when i finish detailing. one still lacks a mouth lol

theagentcoma likes this.
  10. swboyd

Status update: 1-20 Chult Campaign is going strong still. Currently at Level 3. I'm pretty sure we're working through an adapted 5e version of the 3.5 Shackled City Adventure Path with this campaign but I'm avoiding looking at the source material for obvious reasons. I'm playing a high elf wizard at the moment named Phrenelith. I think @theagentcoma will appreciate that one.

The Dragon of Icespire Peak campaign I was in died after two sessions. It was the typical problem of trying to get sessions scheduled and everyone not agreeing on a time. Ugh, but that's life.

theagentcoma likes this.
  11. theagentcoma

wow looking at my posts from a few years ago, our D&D campaign basically came to an end because my ex-wife and I split. They were all her friends from work so I wasn't really going to hang out with them without her, so I haven't been played an actual tabletop RPG in a few years. Also reading those posts about the Mouse Guard session we had makes me sad, I still really want to play that.

But also also I'm getting married in a few months so things worked out

Shrek likes this.
  12. Shrek

lol i was introduced to d&d, and subsequently lost my whole player group for it, by my ex that i split with two years ago so i feel this. only.recently got a good group together again and it feels like i fuckin climbed everest.

theagentcoma likes this.
  13. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

I am playing my first game tomorrow and I'm super excited.

swboyd, theagentcoma and clucky like this.
  14. clucky

Trusted Supporter

anyone interested in doing a level 1 5E oneshot tomorrow over discord/roll20? Was trying to run one for a some people but then some guys had to drop out and I wanna make sure I still have enough players. Looking to do it at 5 ET and go 4-5 hours.

Shrek likes this.
  15. Shrek

damn i wish i saw this!

16. Shrek

was literally coming in here to post about Roll20. been a member since 2016 but only really dove in recently. got a pro account, bought the module for the 5E essentials kit, and got three of my best friends to make accounts and did a small one shot tonight to get everyone familiarized with the interface.

happiest ive been since the world went to shit. the Roll20 folks have made something special. i built the one shot dungeon from scratch with some premium and some free assets. i spent a lot of this week playing with the dynamic lighting and the gm layer to learn to do things like light braziers at a players behest etc. it was maybe more fun than our in person sessions. i encourage anyone with a displaced role playing group to try it out.

clucky likes this.
  17. clucky

Trusted Supporter

thinking of maybe trying to find some randos on the internet to run a Dragon of Icespire Peak campaign with (or maybe some other low level easy to get into adventure) if you'd be at all interested in that.

Shrek likes this.
  18. Shrek

i literally did a session zero for icespire peak tonight as DM lmao

19. Shrek

if you do a different adventure and need someone, hit me up! i am relatively inexperienced but im easygoing and loveeee it

20. clucky

Trusted Supporter

lol do you have an extra spot in it? :-pobviously don't wanna impose if you've already got a full group but mainly just been looking for some way to get my DnD fix on and wound up coming to the conclusion trying to run stuff was easier than trying to find a group to play in

Shrek likes this.
  21. Shrek

unfortunately i do have a full group - got 5 people in it but two of them are a couple with one laptop so they're copiloting one character. if one of them drops out or the group falls apart ill hit you up and we can maybe get a chorus group or other randos.

your last point is the reason im running, too. everyone wants to play but no one wants to run

clucky likes this.
  22. clucky

Trusted Supporter

sounds good I totally understand.

and yeah if anyone else is interested in playing something def post here and we can maybe get something going

23. swboyd

I'm always interested in playing an online 5e game if we can make the timing work. Keyword there being timing.

24. clucky

Trusted Supporter

lol so I found a group of people to run through DoiP. Between working in my players backstories and expanding out the list of characters in the starting settlement I'm already at 14 NPCs and I'm only done with like 2/5 backstories and half the starting locations and suddenly two hours have gone by :crylaugh:

Shrek likes this.
  25. Shrek

you're much more ambitious than i haha. im very new to DING and having high anxiety about it so im keeping it very by the module lol