Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tabletop/Pen & Paper RPGs (Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder, etc.)

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Shrek, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Inspired by the Tabletop Games thread. Talk about your experiences as a player/DM, favorite campaigns, homebrew, DIY set pieces, anything.

theagentcoma likes this.
  2. Shrek

Currently playing: Curse of Strahd (D&D, 5e)
    Thoughts: Loving it. We have a very loose party of 5 that loves to play around with problem solving. Sometimes it works: we took down an animated suit of armor when our ranger threw a blanket on top of it, and I fashioned a lasso out of the twine on my backpack to seal the blanket over it, and then we wailed away on it until it died. Sometimes it doesn't: the player with the highest armor class/HP was reduced to 1 HP by an animated broom because our barbarian broke it over his knee, turning it into two very sharp halves, lol.

theagentcoma likes this.
  3. Shrek

On the crafting/DIY side, my girlfriend has really been enjoying this channel: TheDMsCraft
    She just came home this weekend with a gargantuan piece of foam board, and will be trying to make some basic tiles from that.

Personally, I've gotten into painting miniatures via Nolzur's Marvelous: Nolzur's Marvelous Unpainted Miniatures - Table Top Miniatures
    They are officially licensed, pre-primed, super detailed, cheaper than Reaper Bones, and come with a low level and high level version for player races. $4 a pack. It's an awesome hobby to keep busy with while binging a show on Netflix or something.

theagentcoma likes this.
  4. Shrek

I am bumping this because I'm desperate to get excited over D&D with people that aren't 40 year veterans on reddit

IF THIS BECOMES MY PERSONAL LIVE BLOG, SO BE IT

An awesome and not so awesome thing that happened at this weekend's session:
    - Awesome: We stumbled upon a sacrificial altar with a sealed exit. 13 ghostly apparitions appeared on the balcony and began chanting "ONE MUST DIE". My DM was obviously very excited to see who we would choose to kill. However, our partys ranger had captured some centipedes in a jar earlier on just because he wanted to use his sweet animal handling stat. He put a centipede on the altar, stabbed it with his dagger... and the door opened. My DM was somewhere in between enraged and proud.
    - Not awesome: I am a rogue assassin, and I'm supposed to be sneaky, but I had a curse put on me by a dead kid that makes me afraid of even the slightest noise or shadow. The house that contained a fix for this problem has since been destroyed. So I'm stuck with it for, oh, a year of campaigning.

We played at 11 am with a bunch of mimosas, were done by 2, it was awesome to finish a session and still have most of the day left.

theagentcoma likes this.
  5. emersontheauthor

Regular

I know I'm like...unbelievably late to this thread, but...I play Pathfinder with my family, and this is the only tabletop rpg thread, so LET'S REVIVE IT!

My group is my sister, husband, and me. We take turns GM'ing for each other - so like, I am GM for their two characters, my husband GMs mine and my sister's characters, and my sister GMs mine and my husband's. But all three stories take place in the same world, which is a homebrew world we invented by hand with our own campaign storylines. I drew the map, named all the towns, etc. and we collectively have come up with the history of our world, etc.

Currently my two characters are a Druid and Rogue, and all three stories are around Level 4-5 at the moment.

Forgive me if this is terrible forum etiquette, but I too would like a (living) DnD/Pathfinder thread.

Anyone else?

theagentcoma and electro haikus like this.
  6. Shrek

can i be ur family

7. emersontheauthor

Regular

theagentcoma likes this.
  8. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Here's this damn thread. Why are there only like 7 posts?? I'm playing D&D tomorrow night in a campaign that's been going on for about a year. We already finished the first arc after our Dwarf Fighter god-rolled the final boss and basically one-shotted him off the top of this tower into a portal to another realm lol. I play a Lv. 6 Gnome Warlock named Dimble. I kinda wanted to make a new character after the first arc (warlocks aren't as fun as they sounded at first) but I suppose I'll just keep Eldritch Blasting everything in sight for now. My wife plays too, she's a Half-Elf Bard. We also have the aforementioned Dwarf Fighter and a Half-Elf Paladin.

In other RPG news, I'm about to GM a Mouse Guard campaign! I bought the book back in the fall but no one wanted to play and now all of a sudden I have a party of 5 would-be mouse heroes ready to roll! I can't freaking wait. I've never even played the game before, let alone GMed, but I'm loving the world and overall feel to it.

emersontheauthor likes this.
  9. emersontheauthor

Regular

Yay, a new visitor!

Your campaign sounds cool! I've never heard of Mouse Guard but it sounds adorable!

Y'all the other night in the campaign that my sister GMs, my husband and I took out 20 baddies plus their boss (we had NPC help) and my druid character summoned a giant ant that ended up delivering the killing blow... It was pretty funny.

10. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

I watch a lot of it on Twitch (Geek and Sundry, Hyper RPG, etc). I could never do this, though.

theagentcoma likes this.
  11. theagentcoma

It's dope as hell. Did you ever read the Redwall books? It's sort of like that. You play a mouse in the Mouse Guard, which is the order established to protect the Mouse Territories. It's medieval-y and really encourages role-playing and teamwork. Since you're a mouse, literally everything is dangerous - the seasons, wilderness, animals, etc. Here are a couple pieces of art so you can get a feel for what it's like (it's actually based on a series of graphic novels):

art.jpg

mouse-guard.jpg

That summoning an ant thing sounds awesome haha. Druids always sound super cool!

12. emersontheauthor

Regular

This is so cute! I did read Redwall in elementary school. This is definitely something to look into.

13. theagentcoma

Damn good D&D session tonight. Our party posed as the band for the Prince's birthday celebration. We needed to speak to the King directly but his asshole advisor/Wizard wouldn't let us get near him. Our Paladin distracted the Wizard by fumbling around and trying to give him our band's "card" (which we didn't have since we weren't really the band) and my Gnome Warlock caused a scene by giving the Prince a clockwork frog toy that he was excited about (previously assembled using my tinker skills) and wanted to show to the partygoers. We took that chance to speak with the King and tell him some very pressing matters that we felt he needed to know about. He listened to us and invited us to stay the night.

In the morning, I awoke to a cracking sound. I had been carrying this egg that I found in a cave for months and it finally hatched! From it emerged a black baby wyvern. I named it Balerion after the huge dragon from Game of Thrones. And then the King gave us all magical items as rewards for what we told him previously:

- our Paladin got a Sun Blade, which is legit like a lightsaber and does radiant damage and other cool things
    - the Fighter got a cursed axe that raises damage/HP/attack but causes her to go berserk in battle unless she makes a wisdom saving throw with a DC of 15 (!).
    - our Bard got boots that cause permanent Feather Fall (she can basically never take fall damage).
    - and I obviously took what our DM described as a mysterious black cube, which ended up being a Cube of Force. I took it after he described it because it sounded awesome as shit (although complicated). Here's the entry on the 5E Compendium:

This cube is about an inch across. Each face has a distinct marking on it that can be pressed. The cube starts with 36 Charges, and it regains 1d20 expended Charges daily at dawn.

You can use an action to press one of the cube's faces, expending a number of Chargesbased on the chosen face, as shown in the Cube of Force Faces table. Each face has a different effect. If the cube has insufficient Charges remaining, nothing happens. Otherwise, a barrier of Invisible force springs into existence, forming a cube 15 feet on a side. The barrier is centered on you, moves with you, and lasts for 1 minute, until you use an action to press the cube's sixth face, or the cube runs out of Charges. You can change the barrier's effect by pressing a different face of the cube and expending the requisite number of Charges, resetting the Duration. If your Movement causes the barrier to come into contact with a solid object that can't pass through the cube, you can't move any closer to that object as long as the barrier remains.

Cube of Force Faces:

Face — Charges — Effect:

1 — 1 — Gases, wind, and fog can't pass through the barrier.

2 — 2 — Nonliving matter can't pass through the barrier. Walls, floors, and ceilings can pass through at your discretion.

3 — 3 — Living matter can 't pass through the barrier.

4 — 4 — Spell effects can 't pass through the barrier.

5 — 5 — Nothing can pass through the barrier. Walls, floors, and ceilings can pass through at your discretion.

6 — 0 — The barrier deactivates.

The cube loses Charges when the barrier is targeted by certain Spells or comes into contact with certain spell or magic item effects, as shown in the table below.

Spell or item — Charges Lost:

Disintegrate — 1d12

Horn of Blasting — 1d10

Passwall — 1d6

Prismatic Spray — 1d20

Wall of Fire — 1d4

So yeah I'm pretty stoked about having a familiar and a freaking cube of power.

14. emersontheauthor

Regular

Nice! Sounds like a really good session altogether! I'm up next as GM and I just finished my 20 page document on the town my husband and sister's characters are about to visit, so now all I have to do is write up the adventure. I'll let y'all know how it goes hopefully in the next couple of weeks!

theagentcoma likes this.
  15. theagentcoma

First Mouse Guard session tomorrow night! I've got a party of 5 players and we're doing a sample mission from the book. 3 out of 5 of the players have never played an RPG and none of us have played Mouse Guard. I've never GMed a game either so this should be fun!

16. emersontheauthor

Regular

Sounds good! Let us know how it goes!

theagentcoma likes this.
  17. Shrek

so glad to see this thread active. taking a break from D&D for a bit after a horrible DM'ing experience haha.

me and my buddy picked up the Blightwar set for Warhammer: Age of Sigmar. we are splitting it and each taking an army. assembling/painting them has been a blast, can't wait to play.

18. theagentcoma

1. Can I ask what happened in D&D?
    2. I've been playing the spin-off Warhammer game Warhammer Underworlds for a few months and I'm loving it. I've also been eyeing some AoS stuff too. WH has always been intimidating to me because of the cost/time/painting thing but I'm getting closer to diving in.

electro haikus likes this.
  19. Shrek

oh, boy. a perfect storm. i DM'ed a party of four - two very experienced players, and a couple that had never played. i didn't want to DM, was running two other games already, but my friends are incredibly lazy and unable to commit. i went with Lost Mines of Phandelver from the starter set. the first hour was fine, but my two experienced friends hadn't even rolled characters yet so by the time we started it was late for us. then i was coerced into getting a little high, and it all fell apart. a very unexperienced, high dm trying to guide four high people, half of whom couldn't have been less interested. i eventually just shut it down because no one was able to focus and i would forget what came next. it was just horrible haha

on another note, i run on Roll20 with chorus folks sometimes and am gonna start that up again soon!
    i love the assembly/painting aspect! having glue/paint covered fingers guarantees i stay off my dumb phone and i've been throwing on Oscar nom screeners while i do it, it's so relaxing!

20. theagentcoma

First session of Mouse Guard last night went pretty well considering 1. None of us have ever played it 2. Three out of five of the players have never played an RPG and 3. I've never GM/DMed anything.

They were sent out on a mission to find a grain peddler that had gone missing while delivering a shipment of grain (it was just a sample mission from the book to get our feet wet). The Patrol Leader (Lavender, played by my wife) was informed that the peddler might be a spy selling secrets about Lockhaven (the Mouse Guard HQ) to rebels. The patrol passed a Scout test to catch up to the peddler (who was sleeping underneath the roots of a tree, not a care in the world). They searched his cart and found a detailed map of Lockhaven, confirming Lavender's suspicions. Little did they know that they were close to a snake burrow and the mother had appeared to drive the mice off from its young! They were able to use teamwork to drive it away after a hard-fought battle. After the fight and a night's rest, they were off back to Lockhaven with the peddler in tow to report their findings.

All in all, it was a great session. The players seemed like they had fun. There was plenty of table chatter and strategy and they were super into the snake encounter. One of the players said that it was the most fun she's had in a long time, after resisting role-playing for years. Everyone said I did great for my first time GMing, which was encouraging. Definitely need to read up on some rules again that left me a bit uncertain at times but everything was able to flow along smoothly, for the most part.

We meet again in 2 weeks and we'll be doing an original session which means I need to get to writing. Kind of intimidating, but I'm pretty excited about it.

snake.jpg

electro haikus likes this.
  21. emersontheauthor

Regular

!!!

So cool! I'm glad it went super well! Sounds like a lot of fun.

22. theagentcoma

So for our last D&D session our DM gave each one of us a powerful piece of gear. Problem is that he didn't know what they did when he picked them and he ended up giving our Paladin a ridiculously overpowered sword. It's like +10 damage per roll or some absurd thing.

Tonight we played and while some of the party were sleeping in the tent, a fuckin giant Yeti wandered into our camp. Our Bard was on watch and our dwarf Fighter rolled a 20 to wake up while the Paladin and I were a little slower coming to.

Well we did 55 damage to it in one round (we're only level 7). Our DM was not prepared for how powerful we were with our new gear and added more health to it on the fly. Didn't matter because our Bard cursed it, I paralyzed it, and our Paladin set it on fire with his fancy sword lol. So we destroyed it in 2 rounds.

I think our DM will do a little more research from now on lol

23. emersontheauthor

Regular

Oh wow! Lol that's amazing!

theagentcoma likes this.
  24. theagentcoma

man we FINALLY got to play D&D again tonight. Every once in a while months will go by between sessions. Tonight was a good one tho, I will post a write-up tomorrow.

25. emersontheauthor

Regular

Same, life is so busy that it's usually a couple months between sessions for us. I really only have time to plan on the weekends. But we're supposed to play tonight! It's my husband's game, which means I'm playing my socially awkward rogue/chef character and my sister's playing her grumpy drunk elf character, lol. I'll post whatever we get up to.

Related: we are planning to make the switch to GURPS before the next game. Anyone used it before? Seems to be the ultimate sandbox character creator. I don't know if we'll use all the rules necessarily, but we were planning on trying to start converting our characters today.

theagentcoma likes this.