Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tabletop Games • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Stephanie, Apr 1, 2016.

1. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

i hear ya man, i hate starting around dinner time. as of late we've been starting around 3ish which has been awesome because we can get several games in and not feel completely wiped out by the end of it.

electro haikus likes this.
  2. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Has anyone actually played Scythe? Generally consensus is that it's gorgeous and has an engrossing theme, but mechanically is a little bland. Definitely want to pick it up, though.

3. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

I like Euros and it looks right up my alley. Wanna try it sometime

4. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Played telestrations with the roommates tonight. Great party game. Especially when we starting making up our own words it got really good.

5. Platy

Sam

Being really frugal at the moment, but getting the money together along with using my credit card reward points to get a couple of games. Black Orchestra, Spyfall and possible the final expansion to Galaxy Trucker are on my list for buying next. Might be able to get all three!

6. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Gonna be playing Spyfall all night tonight!

7. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

oh my god this is a real thing and i want it

8. LuigiPeppercorn likes this.
  9. DeviantRogue

Not sure how I feel about the theme of Secret Hitler tbh... feels kind of exploitative?

I'll stick with resistance for that type of game. (though SH art design is miles better)

Also, just played Splendor, Libertalia and Villages of Valeria at Boardgame night... liked all 3.

Came away most impressed with Splendor, so simple with a lot of strategic depth. Will probably buy it to play with family and roommates.

Villages of Valeria is extremely my type of game. Libertalia is a fun, what else is everyone going to play and what value card should I play to influence turn order.

10. not sure what you mean. is it any more exploitative than video games or movies based on WW2?

and for what it's worth, everyone I know has said there's pretty much no reason for them to play Resistance anymore because Secret Hitler does it so much better

11. DeviantRogue

Most video games and movies address WW2 with more levity for the subject than a secret hitler.

It's not like it disgusts me or anything, just the theme is enough to not want to play it for me.

12. Shrek

We did two rounds of Captain Sonar on Sunday, and man I can't recommend it enough. We had ten people and it's only meant for eight players, so we had two people team up for the engineer role on each team. The players ranged from die-hard board gamers, a buddy's girlfriend who won't play anything but Smallworld, and an 8 year old child... and everyone loved it. Total chaos.

dylan likes this.
  13. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Going for the "Longest Road" title in Catan is a total noob move. Everyone is so caught up spending their brick and wood for roads trying to outrace everyone else. Plus, the control of it can change frequently since everyone is trying to outdo each other. I say build cities first and then expand outwards!

That's my board gaming rant for the day.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  14. Platy

Sam

Treated myself to some new games.

[​IMG]

The expansion for Colt Express is on its way too.

theagentcoma likes this.
  15. DeviantRogue

What are some Euros y'all would recommend?

Interested in Great Western Trail and Scythe, what else is out there?

Only real euro game I have is Lords of Waterdeep.

16. Terra Mystica, Caverna, Puerto Rico, 7 Wonders, Ticket to Ride, Takenoko

I feel like everyone defines Euro slightly differently, but those are all great games.

electro haikus likes this.
  17. Shrek

I second Takenoko, big fan of that one.

18. Platy

Sam

Orléans is a euro I'm big fan of.

19. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

got dead of winter for christmas and its a ton of fun. im finding its pretty intimidating to teach people to play (at first glance it seems SUPER complicated) but after going through a couple rounds, its very easy to pick up.

dylan likes this.
  20. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

I love Dead of Winter, mostly because it allows you to be cooperative while still secretly screwing over the others depending on your secret objective.

Also, hoping to play Scythe this weekend and will report back.

The past week i've played City of Spies which I loved but I'm not keen on their end of game scoring, Blood Rage which was pretty fun, Cry Havoc which was decent, and then Dead of Winter.

21. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

Played Scythe, hella fun but it took us a while at the beginning to understand all of what we were doing, but once it picked up it was great. Might be my favorite of the dozen or so we got for Christmas. Reminded me of Civ a bit

22. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Played Ticket to Ride for the first time last night and loved it.

OwainGlyndwr, scott and dylan like this.
  23. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Played a game called Dragoon last night. Loved it, but I can't find a place to buy it anywhere. Its this weird super limited edition game that apparently they don't want anyone to have. Let me buy it damn it!

24. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Yo for real, everybody, @channel, whatever, Sentinels of the Multiverse is the best game ever. card-driven coops for LIFE

high af and just bought:
    Battle Line (easy 9/10 from me as well, if you want the resentment Catan gives you in 1/4 of the time, grab this)
    Sentinels of the Multiverse: Infernal Relics/Rook City expansion
    Decktet (Which, if you don't already know, peep this thing, how cool, right?)

25. Viva Sonata

gooberplex.tumblr.com Prestigious

Scythe is too pure for this world. I'm in love.

dylan and DeviantRogue like this.