Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tabletop Games • Page 26

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Stephanie, Apr 1, 2016.

1. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

2. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

[​IMG]

3. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I'll definitely rec Tabletop Simulator on Steam. Great platform for all kinds of games.

ugman_2000 likes this.
  4. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Yeah. This is a great resource. I prefer the interface of Tabletopia

ugman_2000 likes this.
  5. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I played a lot on tabletopia last year when we first went into lockdown in the uk and it’s a great platform. Some games were a little clunky but I thought it worked really well in general.

6. @@ron

Regular

My wife and I have been playing Duel, the two player version of 7 Wonders and have been enjoying it. The two expansion definitely add to the strategy

Colby Searcy and JRShoenberger like this.
  7. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Really really great game. I might like it better than the original.

@@ron and Colby Searcy like this.
  8. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

My girlfriend got me a chess set for Christmas so she could teach me. We play every weekend and I am having a blast.

JRShoenberger and Colby Searcy like this.
  9. stayillogical Feb 10, 2021
    (Last edited: Feb 10, 2021)
    stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Played a bunch of games with my closest friends over the holiday break. I taught everyone to play Camel Up and we had a blast. I love that game. I also got a Dixit expansion as a gift the previous year and we played that. Plus, Codenames in Spanish, regular Codenames, Munchkin, Settlers of Catan, and Parcheesi. The one game of Munchkin we played was wild, everyone was one step away from the finish line so we were throwing down curses at every turn until we ran out and someone won.

One of my friends said she knows someone who won a game of Codenames on the first turn. Apparently it was a group of brothers vs their wives, and the brothers went first. The wives were very angry. I wonder what the clue was and what the words were. Crazy story.

JRShoenberger and Colby Searcy like this.
  10. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Wife and I played Ticket to Ride after not playing it in a long while. Also played Sequence which we got as a Christmas present several years ago and never played. It was pretty challenging but fun.

JRShoenberger likes this.
  11. @@ron

Regular

We just got sequence as well and have had fun with it!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  12. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Those are two great games!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  13. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

My girlfriend bought me Terraforming Mars for my birthday. We've only played it twice but it's a lot of fun.

14. Colby Searcy

I like that even though it's quite heavy on the strategy and the long game there is still plenty of luck to be had as well. Pretty balanced game so far!

15. @@ron

Regular

It’s one of those games that after we play it for a while I’m going to want to make up some new rules/twists. Like incorporate the jokers in some way with a purpose.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  16. Platy

Sam

I love that game, if you're keep playing it often it may be worth looking at the Prelude expansion. It speeds up the early game so you get to do the fun engine building quicker.

I can't wait for lockdown in the UK to be over so I can go back to playing games with my brother/friends weekly again.

17. Zach Mar 9, 2021
    (Last edited: Mar 9, 2021)
    Zach

Trusted Supporter

Anyone in here ever played Xia?

One of my students has an original copy and we played it the other night with his wife, it was a ton of fun, although a little confusing at first. Went online to find one for myself and they are only on eBay right now for like $300:cringe:.

They do reprints occasionally so I’m hoping I can snag one of those next time.

18. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Check the Boardgamegeek marketplace. I know Xia is a popular game though so there’s demand.

Zach likes this.
  19. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Realized I probably could have given people a basic rundown of the fun aspects of the game lol.

The game was an interesting mix of Risk, Monopoly, and Dungeons and Dragons. You basically get a spacecraft with "x" amount of spaces on board. You can use those spaces to armor up, purchase shields, and/or get weaponry at the start of the game (and later, if at an outpost or planet). Your engines decide how far you can move, with a roll of a d6 or d8 die. You also have impulse movement each turn, which can range anywhere from a straight 1-4 spots on the board (if you play D&D, think of this as a bonus action). The goal of the game is to get anywhere from 1 to 30 Fame Points [FP], which the part can set the limit for. You get FP by completing missions, killing other players, and selling all of your cargo [with a minimum of two cargo spots being sold]. You can do a bunch of different actions, but two of the most interesting actions are to Scan (where you use energy to scan the edge of the game map, and get one or two new tiles to place there, depending on location. You can either move into these areas, or decide not to), and Blind Jump (where you just take a random sector tile, and put it on the board in front of you, but you HAVE to move into it. So if it spawns a Sun, you are dead). So every single time you play the game, the game map is entirely different. Attacking employs some elements of D&D where one player rolls a hit die, and the victim rolls a shield die (if shields are purchased and available). There are other elements of energy usage and whatnot to where people end up only being able to use impulse to move due to not having enough energy to re-arm their engines or anything, but I won't get into that here.

Each planet produces one type of cargo, and sells another. If your ship gets destroyed, you come back at a random spawn location with the same ship, and all of your previously purchased items (this part I thought was sort of lackluster, you should at least lose one add-on you purchased or something).

It was a blast. I was in last place with other two players having 7 and 5 Fame Points respectively (I had 3), and in the span of three turns I got to 9 and then the previous leader came in and killed me and turned in my loot I had on board. So close.

I'd give it a 5/5 with the caveat of the killed players being given the same exact ship on respawn being the only somewhat negative thing about the game. Price point is also a negative, but that's to be expected with game with so many pieces that is very rarely produced anymore.

20. JRShoenberger

Trusted

21. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I looked there but I'm hoping a reprint might be cheaper whenever (if ever) the next one is produced. Got excited cause there was one for $20, but in the notes the seller was like "I'm only selling the coins in the game, not the whole thing" lol

22. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Lol. I saw that and figured it was a typo.

23. Colby Searcy

24. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Colby Searcy likes this.
  25. I can’t convince my wife to play Villainous with me (I got it for Christmas) so I found instructions on how to play it single player. Haha we’ll see how this goes.

Colby Searcy likes this.