Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tabletop Games • Page 19

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Stephanie, Apr 1, 2016.

1. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

has anyone played Root? It looks awesome but a bit complicated

2. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

When I was back home last month I played Catan with my older brother and some of his friends and loved it but by the time I figured out what I was doing it was way too late for me lol. I also played Splendor with my mom and my little brother and I fucking loved that, def gonna buy it for me and my gf

theagentcoma likes this.
  3. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Yes. I’ve played it a bunch over the last week. It’s not overly complicated since you only need to learn the rules to your single faction. And the rules aren’t too bad either. There are plenty of videos for it too. Well worth it.

4. theagentcoma

Splendor is so good! Such an addictive game.

Awesome, I'll watch a few videos and get a better idea for it. It looks really cool.

sophos34 and JRShoenberger like this.
  5. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Looking for a game that isn’t too heavy to pick up for me and my gf, thinking about Azul. Has anybody played it?

6. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Azul would be perfect. The companies next game, Reef, is also excellent and fits into the same niche.

yung_ting likes this.
  7. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Awesome, thank you!

8. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Have you played the Mind? Or Hive? I’d recommend either of those along with Azul which also rules.

9. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I have Hive and honestly haven’t opened it yet...I need to take some time to learn it haha. Heard great things about the Mind too! We need some good 2P stuff because right now we basically just play Patchwork

10. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Ticket To Ride is still fun with 2 players

So is Forbidden Island

11. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Okay all good suggestions, prob gonna hit my local shop this week! Thanks all

JRShoenberger likes this.
  12. JRShoenberger

Trusted

You should definitely learn Hive. There’s a ton of game in there, and my wife and I still play it after ten years of having it or so.

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  13. Cody

Would also personally recommend Pandemic or Forbidden Desert over F Island if that’s the route you’re trying to go down. Honestly The Mind is the best couple game I’ve played in so long (the mental synchronization feels nice for a number of reasons), and Hive has years of replay value. Also been doing a bunch of Backgammon lately and that owns too

wisdomfordebris and Colby Searcy like this.
  14. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

I'd never heard of Root before but that looks awesome. Also it does look pretty complicated compared to the games I usually play with my buddies (Catan, Carcassonne, Takenoko, etc).

theagentcoma likes this.
  15. Dave Diddy

Had some Amazon gift card money burning a hole in my pocket so I ordered King of Tokyo and Puerto Rico

theagentcoma likes this.
  16. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Hive is the best.

17. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

My girlfriend and I bought Agricola a year or two ago, tried to play once or twice but played it wrong each time, and we finally picked it up again yesterday and somehow Got It (although we did realize afterwards we messed up the breeding stage, so getting food was a little easier than it might have been).

Really fun game though.

Cody and JRShoenberger like this.
  18. Cody

It’s INSANE. So so worth it. I sprung for it and got it to the table this week. All the disparate parts that fit together so seamlessly blew my mind. So many different sets of rules and goals. You gotta have people who commit to heavier games, tho

theagentcoma likes this.
  19. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Which factions have you played? I’ve played as the birds twice and the cats once. I like the birds way better.

20. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Bought The Mind based on this recommendation and my girlfriend and I just played it - wow! Way too much fun, and also far more intense than I expected. We did manage to get to level 11 though!

21. theagentcoma

tried to play Coup while drunk last night, did not work

zigbigwig likes this.
  22. OwainGlyndwr

I am the Aleutian allusion illusion Supporter

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Forbidden Island v. Desert v. Sky.

I own and have played all three—Island a bunch, Desert also a bunch, Sky only once at Christmas when we had enough people around to make it worth it. As I predicted, we failed miserably at Sky. I'm sure we'll get more competent with it with some practice, and it was a lot of fun—just wondering if anyone has more to add by having played it more than just once.

Also finally played Exploding Kittens the other day. Man is that game fun. Seriously thinking about backing Throw Throw Burrito—which has about a week left, if anyone's interested.

23. Dave Diddy

Anyone here ever play Mission: Red Planet?

24. theagentcoma

yo any input on Patchwork or Cottage Garden? Both are highly rated and I'm looking for something my non-board game playing gf can get into with me

25. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Both are good. I prefer Patchwork. Cottage Gardens scoring is a little fiddly and isn’t super intuitive. Patchwork is also cheaper..

Both are available as apps if you wanted to try them out first too.

theagentcoma likes this.