Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tabletop Games • Page 18

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Stephanie, Apr 1, 2016.

1. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Maybe pictures. It has pictures one side of the cards and has the corresponding word on the other side. So it gives two different dimensions.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  2. JRShoenberger

Trusted

This is also sound advice.

Colby Searcy and Michael Schmidt like this.
  3. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Thank you for the responses @Cody and @JRShoenberger!

I just went ahead and bought the word version. Before I moved, I would join friends on game night, but now that I am the one organizing game night since moving I have to buy a few games so I just want to make sure I have a good collection to start.

zigbigwig likes this.
  4. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Nice. I used to organize a monthly game night, but work and kids have gotten in the way over the last few years.

What games do you have in your collection?

5. Michael Schmidt

Wits and Wagers
    The Resistance
    Werewolf
    Codenames

Still pretty small. Definitely open to other suggestions.

I have a few games like Catan (not great for large groups) and various versions of Trivial Pursuit at my parent's house. I do have cards against humanity, but got sick of it fairly quickly and haven't played that in about 4 or so years haha.

6. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Those are all solid games. I'd suggest looking into Times Up for a game that just plain fun. It doesn't really have any deepness or clever-factor to it, but it's a riot and awesome for creating inside jokes.
    It's pretty much "Celebrities" or "Fish Bowl" but in published form. Those are at least what my friends called it growing up.

7. Michael Schmidt

Yeah Werewolf and Resistance are definitely in the same realm, but I was gifted werewolf and just wanted Resistance haha.

Times Up sounds like a good change of pace from those. Do you have any others you recommend for a group game night?

8. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Honestly, i think you’ll get a lot of mileage out of what you have now.
    My friends aren’t really into party games do I rarely get to play them. My friends are mostly into Euro style strategy/ abstract strategy games.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  9. Michael Schmidt

Good to know those will go a long way. I should say I am not opposed to more strategic games. We’ll have a large group so multiple games will be going so that everyone can take part. And given the numbers not everyone will want to play the same style of game. What are some examples of Euro style/ abstract strategy games?

10. JRShoenberger

Trusted

@Michael Schmidt
    The most famous Euro-style games are probably Catan, Ticket to Ride, and Carcassonne. Low luck games that usually include resource management, some kind of economic engine, and not roll and move.

Michael Schmidt and zigbigwig like this.
  11. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

SCYTHE

12. Michael Schmidt

I guess I have one Euro-style game in Catan. That’s pretty tight.

13. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I've had my eye on Mysterium for awhile but don't have a player 3 until my son is a bit older
    Ticket To Ride is great fun for 2+ players. Depending on age of kids they could play too

14. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

For 4 player games, my wife and I have really been digging Splendor and Sushi Go

eight30 and JRShoenberger like this.
  15. JRShoenberger

Trusted

These are two of my favorites. Sushi Go is a big hit with my extended family. Splendor was a bit dry for them to get into. But I love it.

theagentcoma likes this.
  16. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

While browsing board games today at Target I noticed Carcassonne for some reason was on a clearance sale so I swooped it up for 17 dollars. Also recently picked up Survive: Escape from Atlantis.

Also last night I played Takenoko and Small World, both of which I'd never played before.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  17. Colby Searcy

Found 13 Dead End Drive today at HPB and was real tempted to get it. I have only ever played the sequel despite having the original 2X

18. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Got Secret Hitler, Scythe, and Dead of Winter for Christmas. Hitler is a fun party game but at minimum requires 5 people so it’s a little harder to break out. Dead of winter is enjoyable but it’s a little too cooperative for my liking but still a decent time. Scythe is the most up my alley. Very competitive and requires a whole lot of strategizing. I love it.

19. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Does Munchkin count as a tabletop? I'm assuming it is, I'm brand new to the genre. Played it over christmas with my cousins and had a blast. None of us knew how to play so I spent a few hours reading and watching people play on youtube then once it clicked I had a great time.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  20. Colby Searcy

Wife and I have always been interested in Munchkin but hate that it requires minimum of 3 players

oldjersey likes this.
  21. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Yeah and even 3 I feel like wouldn't be the best experience. I had 4 and felt like 5 or 6 would of made it perfectly hectic.

22. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Also I got my friend Wildlands and another one friend gifted him Azul. I greatly enjoyed both of those games more than the ones I got haha. Azul is addicting.

Cody likes this.
  23. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Excellent games. Carcassonne and Survive are family favorites for us.

It’s played on a tabletop, right?

We love Azul. It’s awesone. Wildlands isn’t my type of game but I’ve heard good things.

24. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Ganz Schon Clever and The Mind are two really unbelievable games. Azul is incredible too.

25. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Dude. Ganz Schon Clever was my favorite game of 2018. It’s incredible!

I’m not a huge fan of the Mind but I respect what it does. Just not for me.