Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tabletop Games • Page 17

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Stephanie, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Hahahahahah.

This sounds like the kinda thing to convince me to buy it.

2. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Omg with the right group of people, understanding of the rules and committed to the concept, it’s a singular gaming experience. The most energy I’ve ever felt from 8 people in one room for better or for worse haha. I hope you buy and adore it as much as I do

3. Looking at Amazon, it looks like there's a bunch of expansions/other versions.

What's the one I should get? Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008A2BA8G/?tag=absolutepunk-20

Do you have any of the expansions?

4. Cody

That seems to be the OG one in terms of name and box art and price. I’d go w it.

Re: expansions, you could go for them since everything from this company is relatively cheap, but you definitely don’t need them. The game is very well-weighted as is, and there’s a delicate balance to it all that I honestly found most of the expansions watering down or convoluting rather than streamlining or adding to.

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. Cody

Also, it plays 5-10, but I’d say 7-8 is your magic number. 5 and 6 work but it’s a bit too easy, and with 10 it usually just devolves into noise lol. Have fun, report back!

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. Nice. I'll need to have more friends over some time and give it a shot.

7. Or make more friends.

8. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Times Up, Codenames, and Balderdash are probably my favorite party games.

I just picked up Marvel and Disney Codenames from GameStop for $10 each.

zigbigwig and Jason Tate like this.
  9. What’s codename?

10. JRShoenberger

Trusted

I forgot Wits & Wagers and Say Anything. They’re good too.

I don’t really like social deduction games, but I’ve heard great things about the Resistance, so I’d back up Cody’s suggestion.

11. JRShoenberger

Trusted

It’s a clue-giving word game. You play on teams with a grid of word/ picture cards in the middle. Some words secretly belong to each team and some belong to neither team. Giving one word clues you try to get your teammates to guess your cards and not the other cards.

@Jason Tate

12. This looks right in our wheelhouse.

13. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Yeah. It can be tricky.

They sell a bunch of versions. I think Target has regular, pictures, and adult

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

Came in here to recommend Codenames and Resistance and was not disappointed.

JRShoenberger and Jason Tate like this.
  15. JRShoenberger

Trusted

We gotchu

zigbigwig likes this.
  16. Cody

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was. It’s essentially a party game created by a super heady Eurogame designer who wanted to try creating a party game haha. It’s airtight and takes a minute to “click,” but it’s so rewarding and insanely fun and easy once you’re in

Jason Tate likes this.
  17. I'm totally in on this one too.

Is it also a 5 person one? Or can you do 4?

18. zigbigwig Jul 5, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 5, 2018)
    zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

You can do teams I guess. But basically it’s just 2 sides. Unless there’s a variant that I haven’t played?

EDIT: also not sure if it was mentioned but Codenames is a coop game. Each member of the team can only talk among themselves, but ultimately are working towards the same goal.

A very good palate cleanser after Resistance for sure. I’ve played Resistance both drunk and sober, and it always ends up in hilarious tension-filled arguments. Trying to manipulate the group’s perspective is really fun. Even more rewarding when you win as spy without anyone suspecting you.

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. Cody

You can work with any number of people, the game sorta reinvents itself slightly with less then four or more 10

20. Can’t wait to check some of these out.

21. Cody

Onnnnnne more haha. Circling back to my OP, if you want something more instantly accessible I highly recommend Anomia. So simple, so immediate, super g-rated but creates a sense of fury and competition in just about every one.

I play these three (resistance, codenames, Anomia) at just about every party I throw which is why I snuck it in haha

JRShoenberger and zigbigwig like this.
  22. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Anomia’s good. It’s a speed word association kinda game. It doesn’t look like much from the box so don’t judge it off of that.

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Colby Searcy and JRShoenberger like this.
  24. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Should I get codenames word game or picture game as my first purchase? Which one is better?

25. Cody

Word. Get Dixit or Mysterium if you want a picture-based association game