SZA - CTRL (June 9, 2017) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Jan 13, 2017.

1. adeadgod

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seriously

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Alessia is great though, I'm not gonna act like she doesn't deserve it

3. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Reading straight from the Grammy's rules (on wiki lol), nominees "must have achieved a breakthrough into the public consciousness and impacted the musical landscape during the eligibility period." That's a big stretch to apply to Alessia. She's been in the public consciousness for a good couple years, she had that song with Logic but she didn't really do much else last year. I'm not saying she's not deserving, I'm just sayin SZA is wayyyyy more deserving.

4. irthesteve

You must not realize the impact and reach of Scars

5. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Again, wasn’t saying she’s not deserving, I’m saying 2017 wasn’t her breakthrough year. That song was released in 2015 and it’s been on mainstream radio at least since 2016. Doesn’t make sense to award her this year, especially when SZA had a massive year.

6. irthesteve

Album release date doesn't matter, the song hit #8 on the Hot 100 on Feb 25, 2017. Stay hit #7 in May, the Logic song hit #3 in September.... She had an extremely massive year...

7. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Are we still talking about the Grammys? Cause the guidelines for this category specifically say “releases during eligibility period.” Stay and the Logic collab are her only works that meet that criteria and they’re not even really her releases. Sales aren’t technically supposed to influence the academy’s votes so I’m not sure why you’re bringing up charts.

8. irthesteve

This is a ridiculous conversation, charts show popularity, she was extremely popular in 2017, Grammys are a popularity contest, she got a Grammy. Not rocket science here

9. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

seeing her tonight! bummed that it's not smino and ravyn lenae like i thought, they just changed the opener on the site to some local DJ dude. ah well.

OotyPa likes this.
  10. Same thing happened at my date, except nobody was made aware. It was pretty disappointing showing up really early for that, but SZA was obviously worth it

11. cwhit

did you have one of the rescheduled ones? i lucked out on these tickets and i wouldn't have gotten them if they didn't reschedule so i can't be too upset but it's still a slight bummer. at least now it'll be a shorter show, hah

12. Nope, my show was on the regularly scheduled tour back in November. It was really weird, Ravyn’s absence was never once acknowledged even though it was very obvious the DJ and MC were on stage much longer than they were used to and were (poorly) attempting to stall until SZA

13. cwhit

she was supposed to do a tiny desk but her voice was too shot :/ she was totally killing it on monday too, definitely could see her really losing it at the end but it sounded so amazing either way

14. goation

Regular

8 months later and "Prom" is still a fucking jam

EarthShifts likes this.
  15. algae

Regular Prestigious

wait she didnt win even 1 grammy?

16. goation

Regular

she got fucking robbed for "best new artist" imo

17. adeadgod

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

absolutely, dumbfounded that she didn’t walk away with at least one with everything she got nominated for.

18. irthesteve

She's re-releasing this album with 6 bonus tracks

19. sophos34

Prestigious Prestigious

kevin and mark songs?

20. cherrywaves

Trusted

Hold me

21. irthesteve

TBD, this is all she has said so far