Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

System of a Down Band • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Philll, Apr 8, 2018.

1. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

the self titled record still gets me so hype - I know it'll never happen, but I'd love an album tour for that record

2. Jim

Trusted Supporter

I was blowing my ear drums out to this song as I read this post haha

3. AgonizingFir

Currently Distracted Supporter

It's true, and it hits just as hard today as it did back then.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  4. AgonizingFir

Currently Distracted Supporter

Was just talking to a coworker about how well Toxicity holds up like an hour ago

5. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Honestly don’t love their debut but everything after is phenomenal.

AgonizingFir likes this.
  6. foomanfat

Regular

So, John is MAGA, Daron was weirdly obsessed with Charles Manson, Serj did NFTs. Is Shavo chill?

7. throwawayaccount1

8. foomanfat

Regular

9. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

as someone who only properly got into them in the past year or so (I obviously grew up hearing their hits a ton, but never bothered to give them a legitimate deep dive), it’s probably my favorite by them, maybe a toss-up with Steal This Album. Toxicity is great obviously, but for some reason the aforementioned two just light my fire a little bit more as a whole.

riotspray likes this.
  10. tomtom94

Trusted

Paulms85, Phantoms, Zilla and 4 others like this.
  11. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

12. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I get where he's coming from, but Serj feels so vital, it's hard to imagine a System album with someone else behind the wheel.

On the other hand, it's worked for many bands just fine, so who knows. Maybe they could've moved on and continued to more success. Not much point in mulling it over now.

Phantoms likes this.
  13. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I can't think of too many bands where it worked out 'just fine' when they changed lead singers...

I actually can't even think of one.

14. Groogz

Tranquilo Prestigious

AC/DC did quite well after they had to replace Bon Scott.

Paulms85 and Phantoms like this.
  15. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

To each their own. There are many bands I listen to where I enjoy their music with new singers just as much as the old. Sometimes more, although it's rare. I'm not precious about it. Good music is good music.

Phantoms likes this.
  16. Zilla Jan 4, 2023
    (Last edited: Jan 4, 2023)
    Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Jimmy Eat World
    Alice In Chains (to an extent)
    Van Halen

I don’t think it would work with SOAD. Serj’s voice is singular and such an appeal to the band’s sound. They might as well just call themselves a different name.

17. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

And of course the drummer is saying this on a pro-gun/military podcast.

Phantoms likes this.
  18. tomtom94

Trusted

If I were thinking of members that SOAD could replace fairly easily...

He kind of isn't wrong in that it's been common knowledge for years that Serj is the reason they haven't made any new music, seemingly because he doesn't want to deal with Daron's control freak stuff when he can take the money he makes from SOAD shows and put it into music he actually wants to make. And I guess if they'd done that back in 2006 then we might have two or three Serj-less SOAD albums out now and people could debate how good they are, Sepultura-style... but at this point, 13 years on from the reunion, they are kind of stuck doing what they're doing seemingly forever.

19. Phantoms

Regular

When did Plain White T’s replace their lead singer? I’ve never heard of this before tbh

20. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

They didn't, as far as I can tell.

21. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I got that wrong and confused it with the two singers switching off.

Phantoms likes this.
  22. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I mean, you could argue plenty of bands changed their singers early in their career/well before they were established or popular (Jimmy Eat World).

I was referring to successful/popular bands that changed their singers. I still cannot think of one (I don't listen to AC/DC so maybe that's one?)

Aaron Mook likes this.
  23. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

The biggest example is Van Halen. But for the most part, it doesn’t work as well.

Phantoms and ncarrab like this.
  24. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

Someone mentioned Alice In Chains.

This is not going to be a popular example, but Three Days Grace.

25. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Blink? Haha

but yeah to me Serj’s voice and vocals are probably the biggest appeal the band had/has to me, so not sure how much they would have kept my attention without him. I tried Scars on Broadway and was very meh on it. I like Daron’s voice best how it’s used on Toxicity…mostly harmonizing, with some small spurts of him singing here or there. The more even split of Mesmerize/Hypnotize brought those albums down a notch for me.

Though individual songs that are more evenly split can be among their best (Prison song!)….but that utilized the more vack and forth call and response type vocal split that I love

Phantoms, Zilla and Elder Lightning like this.