Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

System of a Down Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Philll, Apr 8, 2018.

1. tomtom94

Trusted

Genocidal Humanoidz is very Steal This Album-esque. Protect the Land sounds like a Scars on Broadway song that happens to feature Serj but that riff is absolutely killer.

2. JamesMichael Nov 6, 2020
    (Last edited: Nov 6, 2020)
    JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

What are the odds that SOAD release not one but two new songs for the first time in 15 years on my 30th birthday haha.

Echoing what others have said with Genocidal Humanoidz being the stronger one out the two. After all this time though I do wonder what actually took so long given the sound of both songs. They could easily fit in the later part of their discography.

I have to also agree with what someone said above about the vocals. Toxicity got the balance right.

Zilla, beachdude and stars143 like this.
  3. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

It’s pretty amazing how open they all are in the RS interview that they reeaally had to set all their problems aside to get these recorded.

I imagine having them already worked out in some form had to smooth out the process. It inspires no hope that they’ll record more any time soon. They’ll probably be like Rage and leave well enough alone so they can at least play shows together.

4. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

100% agree with this.

5. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Probably won't revisit these songs that much but it's great to see they are still down to jam

6. manoverboard365

Trusted

Echoing most people, but I think Genocidal Humanoidz is killer but Protect The Land is very forgettable.

I'm not able to see the full Rolling Stone article. Any mention of an album coming, or were these just one offs?

7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

No plans to record anything else. They recorded it solely to bring awareness to the situation in Artsakh. Serj doesn't want to do anything else until there is a cease fire. The rest of the band hopes to do something in the future.

beachdude and manoverboard365 like this.
  8. Both songs sound like b sides to me. Cool that they’re new but I’m not into them.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  9. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Genocidal is tight.

Also, gonna listen to Toxicity on my run and break my ears.

beachdude and Aaron Mook like this.
  10. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

yeah - fuck John. It’s super awkward because literally the rest of the dudes are very outspoken against Trump. Serj has literally fought with John on social media and I wish they would just kick his ass out already. John’s a good drummer but they can easily replace him.

333 GANG, Carrow and riotspray like this.
  11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

They also had to beg Serj to do the double records. He wanted to quit after Toxicity because of creative difficulties and unfortunately - it’s never been resolved. Even though they have more than enough material for a record or two - I don’t see them doing a proper record for possibly ever?

Either way; it’s the perfect time for them to drop new music with the political climate and what’s happening in Armenia.

12. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

That’s crazy they recorded a whole ass double album with Serj having one foot out the door. His energy is incredible on those albums. I’m genuinely surprised his heart wasn’t as in it as I thought.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  13. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

New songs are decent, and definitely for a great cause. It's a shame they could never work out their issues.

I'm sure there are nuances you can't see from the outside, but Daron always struck as me as someone who seems really difficult to work with. His insistence on having a bigger vocal presence bummed me out, because Serj has such a dynamic and interesting voice.

14. Yeah, I'm not opposed to Daron's vocal parts but it's obvious why Serj should be front and center, I also just love the way their voices complement each other and feel Daron has the perfect amount of vocal parts as is for me to get excited when they come up in a song

15. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

We were so close to working with them for the shows this summer and had several meetings with Shavo.

if it wasn’t for him they’d never play any shows. He’s desperate to do new music but the others just aren’t interested and any show they do play is about $$

Zilla, beachdude and mattylikesfilms like this.
  16. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Sounds right to me - Shavo is great. I have friends who know him personally and I’ve met him once myself - super nice dude. Very humble and down to earth.

17. Really wish they would reckon with the amazing cognitive dissonance of simultaneously having the political stance that they do and having a Trump supporter in their band

18. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

What the fuuuuuck are you serious?

Carrow likes this.
  19. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Blah:

Aaron Mook and Carrow like this.
  20. I don't respect John (lol) but I do respect the band coming together for a cause so personal and important to them. Hope that makes sense.

stars143, beachdude, TJ Wells and 2 others like this.
  21. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

LOL once again - fuck John. What a clown.

22. tomtom94

Trusted

23. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Fuck yeah!

24. That rules

25. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

15 year anniversary of their latest album Hypnotize today