Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

System of a Down Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Philll, Apr 8, 2018.

1. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, Toxicity is cool, but this has to go to WP, no contest.

waking season likes this.
  2. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

So I stumbled upon this guy reacting to the Toxicity album in full, and it made me realize that Toxicity is so fucking amazing at its highs that its lows (Jet Pilot and X, IMO), don't do anything to bring the album down.

And TBH I hadn't listened to X in a long time and forgot the second half of the song being as cool as it is. It also a perfect example of how Serj's voice in that era really was like another instrument. Man just had such a unique sound to his voice.

Matt and JamesMichael like this.
  3. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Huge album.

They definitely pushed the boundaries.

David87 likes this.
  4. Philll

Trusted

Recently been compliling a big nostalgia playlist ahead of my 30th birthday, and I was revisiting some tracks from toxicity. Science is an underrated gem I feel, that weird bridge is the kind of thing that made this band stand out for me.

David87 likes this.
  5. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Same! Science is super underrated and that bridge really was a classic example of their unique ME influences in their music. The way that song just went from a hard rock song right into a middle eastern sounding medley def helped hook me in when I was 13/14.

Philll likes this.
  6. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

So ever since I watched a few of those reaction videos, I keep getting recs for more people reacting to SOAD for the first time (usually self proclaimed rap fans).....and it cracks me up how similar every single person's reaction to BYOB is. Initial confusion and "omg what am I listening to", followed by head bobbing and grooving and smiling at how smooth and groovy that chorus is lol

7. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

8. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

HOly shit just saw on their social media.

I was actually just thinking the other day how they were dealing with the war in Armenia. I guess we know!

beachdude likes this.
  9. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Protect the Land sounds pretty much like I would have expected a followup to the double albums would have honestly.

beachdude likes this.
  10. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Possibly an unpopular opinion but they continued the trend of more Daron vocals and Serj's vocals falling more in the background (for the most part) and that sitll annoys me.

He does have more prominent parts on the 2nd song but still Daron heavy/centric. I think the way they split the vocals on Toxicity was much better than the albums after.

aspeedomodel and MathiasGeleyn like this.
  11. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah I don't disagree about the vocal part. Overall though I'm really happy they're back and I enjoy both songs quite a bit.

12. Cmoney86

Trusted

holy fucking shit. saw they had new music on fb went straight to apple music. never would i have thought id see the day where they put out new music.

i hope a full album is coming now at some point and its not just a 2 song single

13. I mean it makes sense on protect the land cuz it was initially meant for scars on Broadway but I do agree with your overarching point about the vocals

beachdude likes this.
  14. Don’t hold your breath on a full album

I recommend reading the RS article linked a few posts up

beachdude likes this.
  15. Not big on "Protect the Land," pretty radio rock-y for my tastes, but "Genocidal Humanoids" goes

Surprised they're back together, isn't their drummer a big Trump guy?

16. They aren’t back together

17. Cmoney86

Trusted

they've been touring every year since 2011 except 2016

18. Should've said got back together to do this, but I just read the RS article and it makes sense.

Did not know this.

19. Cmoney86

Trusted

read the article. i get why they did it but it sucks they have no plans for new music. maybe after whats going on stops they will change their mind. if they can put aside their internal bullshit for this maybe they can do it again and make another album at some point

Protect the Land is very radio/rock friendly but Genocidal Humanoids fucking slaps hard

20. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I just don't understand what happened there. Serj wanted more say in the song writing, okay, they fought, okay....Are they both so hard headed about the song writing that they can't just let it happen? Hell, do it like other bands with multiple song writers do and record a bunch written by both members and then pick the best album together as a band! I don't get it.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  21. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I think both of them are very controlling and were drifting apart creatively once Daron wanted a bigger voice in the band.

i really hope the songs do what they hope and raise money and awareness. I just wish they were better songs because I don’t see a ton of people coming back to these after the initial shock that there’s two new System songs wears off.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  22. JM95

Trusted

I just don't think they're that interested in it anymore. Some of their live shows in recent years have been really half-assed, like they didn't really want to be there. I can't see a new album happening.

23. tomtom94

Trusted

The last double album was almost exclusively written by Daron, I'm pretty sure he co-produced it, his dad did the artwork, he started a side project where he plays all the instruments and released an album called Dictator. Is it honestly a shock that Serj might find him a scooch controlling?

24. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Genocidal Humanoidz is definitely the better song.

Neither are mind blowing but they are quite enjoyable anyway.

beachdude likes this.
  25. Their drummer being a Trump supporter has put me off them for good, fuck that shit.

333 GANG likes this.