Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Switchfoot - Where the Light Shines Through (7.8.16) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by contra11mundum, May 12, 2016.

1. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I'd honestly still put World You Want above that song. Though, that is definitely the best song on Vice Verses. I'd still put it below all of Oh! Gravity and Hello Hurricane too. Haha

2. bodkins

Trusted

Love that song.
    Something about it just never did it for me. Don't get me wrong, a band would be lucky if they could touch my least favorite SF tune. I don't dislike the track necessarily, it just ranks low for me on FW. Glad to hear you dig it though! Maybe I'll try to listen for something different during my next Fading West listen.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  3. bodkins

Trusted

Love how diverse the opinions of this band's discography/songs seem to be.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  4. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

My opinion of their discography is that I still need to listen to it

Is that an unpopular opinion?

5. bodkins

Trusted

Listen away. The recommendations from earlier in the thread are solid starting points.

FTank likes this.
  6. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, planning on it haha, I just tend to listen to newer music first and I'm bad about procrastinating.

bodkins likes this.
  7. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

The diversity of opinions on the band is certainly interesting. Don't see this wide of a spectrum for most band threads I've read/been apart of.

bodkins likes this.
  8. Lucas27

Trusted

Three words: twenty. one. pilots.

9. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Hahahaha good call.

But even then there are basically just two opinions.

10. Lucas27

Trusted

The Beautiful Letdown is their classic album (and my personal favorite still) so I'd check that out first when you get around to it.

doubledribble likes this.
  11. Lucas27

Trusted

Hahaha! You mean that they're awesome or they're terrible?

12. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah I like the singles from that one, those are the only songs I've heard though

13. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Yep. Latter for me, haha.

14. Lucas27

Trusted

Former for me. But we can still be friends.

FTank likes this.
  15. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Have singles been released for it yet?

16. Lucas27

Trusted

Scroll up, yo.

Edit: Ah wait. They're not mentioned on this specific page. To save you the searching, there are two singles called Float and Live It Well. :)

DejaMoi likes this.
  17. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Cool i'll check them out

18. Colin Your Enthusiasm

I def prefer Live it well but Float is pretty solid too. Hoping this album won't be too poppy. Fading West didn't really do it for me.

19. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I like this. I dunno if I'll ever like Switchfoot as much as I did in the mid-00s, but I think I liked this on first listen more than I liked any album since Hello Hurricane.

"Healer of Souls" is great, and "Looking For America" feels especially relevant now

bodkins likes this.
  20. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Also enjoyed this on first listen. "If the House Burns Down Tonight" was the highlight for me.

21. bodkins

Trusted

Had a listen through before work and my first impression is that this will be one of my favorite Switchfoot records. Something about it feels both new for them (more "classic" rock versus their usual "alternative" sound) and combines a lot of what I would consider old school Switchfoot elements.

On top of all that it's a super timely record considering what's going on in the US this week. Excited to throw the vinyl on when it gets here later today!

22. dlemert

Trusted

My two favorite songs so far are Float and Bull in a China shop, which is weird because I feel like they're polar opposites. Float takes the best aspects of recent, pop-oriented Switchfoot and dashes in a hint of that quirky New Way to Be Human-era sound, whereas Bull sounds like it almost could have been written by the band 20 years ago. Man, I wish they had more songs like that one on here.

23. doubledribble

Regular

Nothing is Sound was my least favorite. Funny how that works, huh?

24. Lucas27

Trusted

It's funny. After Fading West, I was really looking forward to a more experimental Switchfoot record. It's definitely more experimental, but I think I like the more straightforward tracks the best. "Holy Water," "I Won't Let You Go," "Shake This Feeling," and "Hope Is the Anthem" all stand out to me the most on first listen.

Overall, on first listen, this record definitely has to grow on me. It's not my favorite of theirs but it's definitely solid. "Live it Well" and "Healer of Souls" are two of my least favorite I've heard from them, but "I Won't Let You Go" and "Hope Is the Anthem" might be my favorite songs they've released since Hello Hurricane.

25. dlemert

Trusted

Letdown>Nothing>Verses>Gravity>Learning>Hurricane>Human>Fading>Chin

I'm guessing this new album will fall somewhere in the middle for me.