Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Swans - The Glowing Man (June 17, 2016) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

If you have problems with Kanye supporting Bill Cosby why don't you also have problems with members of this site, who you have actual power over, supporting another rapist?

stillbrazy and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

There were questions in that post that I would legitimately really like for you to answer as well, if you're just going to ignore them to try to catch me in "gotchas" like this.

For one, to discuss an artist's music does not equal to support their choices in other areas of their life. To suggest as such is to suggest, for a slightly ridiculous example, is like saying that supporting Brad Pitt's acting career is to support adultery because he is also an adulterer. I loathe adultery, but happen to think Pitt is a good actor. This creates a tension that I deal with regarding my personal moral compass. [Because I have a suspicion you'll immediate jump to this, by making this example I am not saying that rape and adultery are anywhere near the same level of physical violence or social consequence. I am simply providing another example of something that brings about this tension.]

Secondly, I do not mod on my moral compass. I mod on a set guideline of rules. In this thread, no one was defending Gira's actions. That is inexcusable and against those guidelines. In this thread, someone was defending the right to discuss Gira's music.

Again: Gira deserves to be attacked for being a rapist. Users who want to discuss his music do not deserve to be attacked.

3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

4. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

If the woman doesn't think it's consensual and the man does its rape. Sorry.

5. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Uuuuuhhhhhhh what the fuck

6. what the fuck happened here

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  7. There are a variety of threads on the website that are about projects that involve accused individuals of a variety of crimes. I don't think that a blanket policy of deleting any thread that's about art that was created by someone accused of a crime, or has done something wrong, is the best course of action. I think that discussion of the accusations and issues is far more helpful and allows people to be educated on the subject that they didn't know. People should post in a Johnny Depp movie thread about what he did. Four Year Strong threads should have people reminding others of what went down. I think the way this thread has gone has instead galvanized fans of the band and became a way to attack people. If the goal is education about a problematic piece of art -- this thread failed. Miserably.

8. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I think my face reading this thread is just like

kit.gif

9. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

This thread has made me really uncomfortable to stay on this site.

10. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Edit: Deleted because it's pointless

11. chris

Trusted Supporter

People need to stop bringing up the Conor Oberst situation like it wasn't a total anomaly. The fact of the matter is that only something like 2-8% of reported rapes are falsified. The default response should be to support the victim of said assault, because it's OVERWHELMINGLY likely they're telling the truth. So until Larkin comes out and takes it all back, your argument is just as flimsy as you claim everyone else's is, only lacking any sort of statistics to back it up.

your posts in this thread have been shit btw and your continued unabashed defense of an accused rapist is making people uncomfortable. Super admirable tho:eyeroll:

12. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

About this, you should in fact not bother talking imo

13. CoffeeEyes17

im more bothered by the fact that moderators are more concerned about rape apologists feelings than, you know, users that have been around for a while that now feel extremely uncomfortable even posting.

That said very, very few rape accusations are proven false and none of what was posted above really cements anything other than the fact that Gira has always been kind of a creep. Just feel sad for Larkin that the man is still allowed to make music and still has fans that will vehemently defend him/

Nick, Cody and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  14. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Having read through this thread, my impression is most people don't really want to have a "discussion of the accusations and issues", unless that discussion consists of somebody saying that Gira is a piece of shit rapist (which may or may not be true) while everybody else nods in agreement. It limits meaningful discourse when people can shut down opposing viewpoints by stating that "discussing a piece of art is promoting said rapist."

Of course it's equally unhelpful when fans of the band lash out in anger or attempt to diminish what are very serious accusations, and these issues will only get worse if we can't acknowledge and address the fact that this is a real problem in the industry and society at large.

I think these things are difficult to moderate, but for what it's worth, I think you and the staff are generally going about it the right way.

beachdude42 and devenstonow like this.
  15. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Whoaaaaaaaa..didn't see this thread til now.

image.gif

16. Rico Suave

[​IMG]

I can't imagine how some of you are actually going to survive in the real world...

amorningofsleep likes this.
  17. CoffeeEyes17

Lol I survive in the real world just fine kiddo. But to see someone so adamant to go to bat for a rapists piece of art is a bit off-putting, and the moderators being more concerned with their feels also extremely off-putting. I'm going to assume you're very young by using a South Park picture as some sort of slam against me. I hope you find the peace and maturity that seems to elude you my dear friend.

Nick and stillbrazy like this.
  18. oncenowagain Jun 21, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 21, 2016)
    oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

I may be acting naive here, but I'm pretty sure the moderators' main job is to maintain order by squashing hateful and antagonist speech. To complain that the moderator isn't acting in accordance with how some feel they should (apparently by abandoning all semblance of professionalism and bashing users for having different opinions) doesn't mean that they are being unfair. They have allowed people from both sides to discuss this in a manner that, as far as I can see, is pretty free from biased interference. I sure as hell hope I don't get attacked for this, and I hesitated to post, but here we are. As far as I can tell, I can see why people from both sides of the argument would hesitate to join in this discussion. I don't think we can say we wish the moderators would disregard someone's feelings while hoping they act in a way that preserves our own by taking sides.

19. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

ban separator

20. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Damn, this thread...

21. Rico Suave

Meanwhile I received a warning for "trolling" on my one and only post in this thread.

I suppose It's just better to ignore the absurdity than actually call out a certain user for being overly dramatic.

22. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

You deserved that warning for your post.

23. CoffeeEyes17

@ me next time homie

Aaron Mook likes this.
  24. Rico Suave

I have said my peace in this thread.

Please don't antagonize me.

25. CoffeeEyes17

So I guess you feel uncomfortable in this thread then huh

Must suck

Aaron Mook and Nick like this.