Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Swans - The Glowing Man (June 17, 2016) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Horrorca

Trusted

huh? I think I have been eloquent and polite?

2. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Does reading a review financially support the artist like streaming it would? I don't understand why you are consistently comparing two things that don't have the same impact or end result.

3. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

i can justify to myself to listen to the album via streaming because i know how streaming works, i know how payouts work, and hes barely going to see shit especially from MY stream, he might get a fraction of a fraction of a penny. for some people that's too much and that is alright. completely alright. but im gonna go ahead and listen. i cant imagine i'll listen more than once im just curious. i dont listen to their last couple albums hardly ever and i loved them before all the stuff came to light.

4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Yes, I would like to point out that I understand streaming the album once won't make him rich, but it is still a positive impact that reading a review doesn't have on him or his career.

5. jorbjorb

7 rings

this sounds like pure ass. wouldnt listen to it no matter what

6. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

You could always just pirate it. That's a zero dollars guarantee.

7. Horrorca

Trusted

we're discussing two different things

listening as supporting financially & the ideology that some people have in the sense that you shouldn't listen to art created by people who carry out unethical/illegal acts

8. Horrorca

Trusted

so what's wrong is giving money to someone who worked hard on something???

are you suggesting that it is ethical to steal from someone who (allegedly or not) committed and unethical act? who gets to decide what is unethical enough to deserve being stolen from?

9. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

you're giving the discussion a blanket that no one else is. it isnt simply unethical or illegal acts where people are drawing the line, it's rape. plain and simple. that's too much for people to reconcile with and listen to the album, and why shouldnt it be?

Aaron Mook likes this.
  10. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

rape is unethical enough to be stolen from imo

Aaron Mook likes this.
  11. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

and make no mistake, what michael gira did was rape, it doesnt matter if he didnt perceive it as such.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  12. Horrorca

Trusted

is it ethical to break the law/social contract?

13. Horrorca

Trusted

make no mistake, I am not defending Michael Gira's actions

14. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

ive been pirating music since i was 12 and im not stopping anytime soon so if we're just about to discuss the ethics of pirating i'll bow out lol i guarantee i put more money into the music industry than the large majority of people who buy 100% of their music legally

amorningofsleep likes this.
  15. Horrorca

Trusted

if you read this thread, I never said people HAD to listen to - people have the right to not listen for whatever reason

what I am trying to express is that listening to the works of SWANS doesn't mean I (or anyone) support Michael Gira the person's actions in his private life or rape

16. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

i would agree, others wouldnt, its ok for people not to agree

Aaron Mook likes this.
  17. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I'm not suggesting anything. Just saying there's another way to listen.

18. Horrorca

Trusted

@stillbrazy

I agree - I just like reading opinions about this stuff : why would you post in a forum if you don't want to discuss something

and if you don't, don't post - why go into a discussion saying why are we discussing this?

weird...

amorningofsleep likes this.
  19. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

because this is the kind of discussion that is understandably far more delicate than others and should be treated and respected as such

Aaron Mook likes this.
  20. Horrorca

Trusted

you said:

so... umm... music is cool but maybe his car isn't

are you familiar with the concept of taking the law into one's hands

or maybe the social contract?

it's just wild to me that people actually think that way

what if someone believes you committed a crime you didn't commit and stabs you in the street or steals your wallet

21. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

music is not a car

music is not stabbing someone

music is not stealing a wallet

this is called a false equivalency

essentially youre drumming up situations that ARENT this situation at hand (stealing music from a rapist) and trying to apply them TO the situation at hand. it isnt working

Aaron Mook and cherrywaves like this.
  22. Horrorca

Trusted

but you literally said:

that's why I am asking

23. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

ok for music to be stolen from ill clarify that

24. Horrorca

Trusted

also the law doesn't say stealing music from a rapist is ok, his car not so much

come on

25. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

come on what? i dont have any qualms or apologies with stealing music from a rapist. if that's unethical to you then so be it i suppose.

Aaron Mook likes this.