Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Swans - The Glowing Man (June 17, 2016) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Apr 6, 2016.

1. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Right. I forgot I read that this morning, but I was disappointed to see it. Surprising because they've mostly been quiet about this album since the allegations came out. I really hope they don't review it.

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  3. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

4. cwhit

i like that site a lot too, but yeah.

5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Just curious how you would have said it differently. It seems like a fair way of identifying the allegations and objectively reviewing the album. They could have just avoided the issue all together.

beachdude42 likes this.
  6. cwhit

the biggest issue was comparing the issues against beyonce to someone who (while trying to sugarcoat it) is an admitted sexual assaulter.

7. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Yeah, reading an opening paragraph like that did have me scratching my head a bit.

8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

9. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

well, considering theyre only allegations insofar as they arent in the legal system, because gira more or less admitted the situation happened but just "interpreted" it different, i think thats vile and disingenuous. also to pretend like beyonce is somehow personally responsible for the abuses capitalism visits upon people is fucking ridiculous.

Nick and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  10. Horrorca

Trusted

I haven't read the TMT review yet (I will), but I find it amusing that you release Beyoncé of her responsibility so easily... "It's the system, what can she do". She is a very wealthy and somewhat powerful person conducting business. She is personally responsible.

11. Horrorca

Trusted

I am actually quite happy in the way this thread has been conducted. It's cool to read people discussing a difficult topic in a civilized fashion.

amorningofsleep likes this.
  12. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

I am not absolving her. I am saying it is absurd to compare sweatshop labor with a personal act of rape. They're two very different things and they operate in different contexts, and I would be more interested in learning how much control Beyonce has over those sorts of things since her line is a "collaboration," ie her branding and she models it, but she might not have control over backend things like production and pricing or even precise designs.

13. Horrorca

Trusted

everyone is personally responsible

14. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

15. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

ok. then everyone is equally as culpable as beyonce and there's no point in singling her out.

16. Horrorca

Trusted

honest question: why does people who don't want to listen to/engage in conversation about the music read the reviews?

do you want to feel angered? I mean, are you expecting to read something that will enrage you?

17. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

because maybe someone somewhere will have something meaningful and poignant to say about the album and the allegations. and you're not gonna know unless you read whats out there. and some things people read might upset them yes. that's a perfectly justifiable emotion for a human being to have and theres no reason to get mad at people for being honest with their emotions. but we all want to read and absorb music criticism and that's what we're going to do.

18. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

and im someone who is 100% going to listen to this album. but come on.

19. Horrorca

Trusted

you first said:

"also to pretend like beyonce is somehow personally responsible for the abuses capitalism visits upon people is fucking ridiculous"

saying she is not responsible

and then:

"then everyone is equally as culpable as beyonce and there's no point in singling her out"

as if you had said she was

I'm confused...

20. Horrorca

Trusted

so... someone who thinks

"no one should support Gira by listening to his music but let us all talk about the reviews of his music" makes sense?

to me that's wild, but ok...

21. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

22. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

have you ever read a review for an album you hadnt listened to and then never listened to the album? i do it all the time actually

23. He was operating under your assumption.

I have zero interest in this album or thread, but as a moderator, I feel as though you're acting intentionally obtuse and attempting to rile others up. Just a warning as we have been talking about this thread behind closed doors that if this in any way turns hostile, the thread will be deleted.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  24. Horrorca

Trusted

of course

my point is, if you can read about it and engage with it through a review, why not engage with it by listening to it, I don't get it

why is listening to an album "supporting" a rapist, but reading ten reviews praising it not? [not directed at you @stillbrazy ]

I don't know, it's too much energy spent in something someone doesn't want to get involved with...

25. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

reviews arent the album, reading reviews isnt supporting the album