Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Swans - The Glowing Man (June 17, 2016) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Apr 6, 2016.

1. amorningofsleep Apr 6, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 17, 2016)
    amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

[​IMG]

via young God Records
    FULL ALBUM STREAM

Tracklisting:

1. Cloud of Forgetting
    2. Cloud of Unknowing
    3. The World Looks Red / The World Looks Black
    4. People Like Us
    5. Frankie M.
    6. When Will I Return?
    7. The Glowing Man
    8. Finally, Peace.

2. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

sub

3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

fuck this rapist piece of shit

4. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

5. Horrorca

Trusted

Soundtracks for the Blind (and Various Failures (comp, I know)) will always be my fav SWANS - the new stuff is impressive, but doesn't move me

6. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

do not support or listen to this album made by a rapist scumbag.

7. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

awful

8. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Whoever deleted that FPS thread should do the same with this

EngineDown likes this.
  9. Horrorca

Trusted

a concept I thought everyone was aware of...

10. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

why do you want to promote a rapist
    you can talk about what you want. but WHY do you WANT to?

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  11. Horrorca

Trusted

read my posts - I literally said nothing about M. Gira or rape (for or against); I want to talk about SWANS

I do understand if people cannot separate SWANS from Gira or from rape, and I respect that, but you should also respect someone's decision to do so

but even if someone wanted to talk about rape and M Gira, don't censor (asking why would someone want to talk about anything is a form of passive-aggressive censoring), it's dumb and you are not a dumb guy - if you think about something, if it moves you in any way (positive or negative), you'll probably want to talk about it (at least that's me), is that wrong? and if you don't want to, then just don't

I don't think we should pass judgment on someone who wants to talk about something, such person might have given it a deeper thought than what you assume - talking about/listening to something does not mean condonance or support - and artists are not monoliths, no one is

much love & respect

d.

beachdude42 and Garrett L. like this.
  12. CoffeeEyes17

jesus fucking christ

13. Horrorca

Trusted

eloquent answer

14. StevenW92

Regular

Wasn't there a long discussion on Art vs Artist following 'Bill Cosby Innocent'?

I'm pretty sure the wide conclusion is that if people can separate the two then do so, if not you have the right to express that. But deleting the thread would be massively hypocritical.

For the record I've no intention of listening to or supporting this artist.

15. CoffeeEyes17

I'm just stunned that you're willing to support and promote a KNOWN rapist and abuser. Do you I guess

matthaber and cwhit like this.
  16. Horrorca

Trusted

I am not supporting a rapist - I am talking about a piece of art

why is it so hard to understand?

art =/= artist

if some Dr. finds the cure for whatever and then kills an innocent dude - should we reject the cure?

please give an answer besides "pffff" to that

if you're answer is "that's a different scenario", I would like to understand what makes it objectively different

EDIT: switched "invents" with "finds"

17. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I would like to know why you think those are appropriate scenarios to compare?

Aaron Mook likes this.
  18. CoffeeEyes17

you are talking about a piece of art that is directly related to a rapist. Discussing that piece of art is promoting said rapist. I dont think an album and a cure for a disease are at all relatable and thats kind of a weird comparison to make. A cure is not art.

And again, you are supporting a rapist by choosing to ignore what Gira has done and sweep it under a rug to talk about this album. Thats just not a good look.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  19. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I won't be "supporting" this guy or band in any capacity

gotta ask if any of you ever listen to Michael Jackson

20. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

or are Lakers fans

21. CoffeeEyes17

i mean if you plan on pirating it thats fine I guess but i dont think i could in good conscious listen to this knowing the guy behind the mic is a rapist and abuser with hard evidence against him

i mean yeah and im going to assume youre using MJs past pedophilia charges as some sort of "gotcha" thing but thats just reductive and doesnt help open a dialogue nor educate so.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  22. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Kinda sick of the all or nothing boycott mentality. I don't listen to MJ or support the Lakers, but using that as a means to discredit or whatever isn't cool.

23. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I probably won't be listening either personally. And they have put out some of my favorite records years ago.

It's not a gotcha. It's not reductive. There is plenty of dialogue to be had about that.

24. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

It's just weird to see how strongly this community went against FPS and all the Pure Noise stuff, but when the activism against an artist isn't as widely spread then people have a problem with getting called out.

cwhit and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  25. CoffeeEyes17

it just seems weird to randomly bring up those two examples that have nothing to do with this. trying to discredit me or others by using those examples is just kind of shitty ya feel

Aaron Mook likes this.