Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Superstore (NBC) TV Show • Page 11

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Garrett, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Sandra’s “YOU THINK! I just can’t anymore” was perfect.

Joe and I Am Mick like this.
  2. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

So I’ve been reading interviews with the showrunners today about what they had intended to have happen had they been given the chance to keep going and they said that they got the cancellation news after they’d already completed filming the first nine episodes. They had the back half of the season already planned out, but had to scramble to change things. The original plan before they knew it was “the end” was to finish the season with corporate deciding to put a giant wall up in the middle of the store, segregating the employees into two warring factions. On one side would be what the store has always been and on the other would be the fulfillment center it became in the finale where the employees would be forced to focus solely on internet orders and have zero customer interaction. They were supposed to fight this new corporate mandate and ultimately lose the battle, which would lead to a sad season ending where they all get split up. That split was intended to set up the next season where they were going to tackle how corporate grinds workers to the bone in places like Amazon warehouses. The Dina/Garrett relationship was supposed to reach a similar conclusion in the season finale but it would happen RIGHT when the store gets split in half and Dina realizes “I don’t want to be separated from you.”

They said there was a bit with Garret that they had to cut out for timing which would have been nice to see. Garrett was supposed to finally get his “dream job” working at Game Stop (because he mentions applying there like four times but never even getting an interview) because Glenn helps him out. Then you’d see Garrett at this dream job but you immediately see him disconnected and texting on his phone because he realizes the real joy of working is the family you create and so THEN you’d see that the person he’s texting is Jonah.

I’m not sure if they would have brought back Amy or not, but they did mention the relationship with the lawyer was never intended to work out so who knows. That is one thing I’m grateful for ultimately. The sudden ending gave them the chance to bring back Amy in a really satisfying way and ultimately she is actually only absent for like ten episodes in total.

Carol was actually originally going to get a HUGE settlement from her lawsuit and she was going to use part of it to buy Sandra’s apartment building, thereby becoming her landlord to further torment her in the following season lol.

They also had to cut out a scene where corporate tells the employees they have to dismantle the robot and send it back to them in parts. But the employees have all become too close to it so as a nice gesture to the robot and a middle finger to corporate they reprogram the robot to think it’s heading for a vacation in Buenos Aires and just let it...roll off on its own into the sunset headed for its vacation.

They also had planned to shoot more of Jonah’s burgeoning political career, so you would have seen that he did get on City Council and then ultimately runs for Senate against Josh Hawley. They were really going for it in the end, but just had too little time to work with.

3. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Well fuck, I want to see all of that

4. trevorshmevor Mar 26, 2021
    (Last edited: Mar 26, 2021)
    They didn’t have a lot to work with but they really used what they had. Definitely cried a bit there at the end. Hope the spin off actually happens

Only finding out after they’d filmed 9 episodes is brutal. I feel like networks shouldn’t be allowed to pull that kind of stuff! Imagine thinking you had at least another season and a half only to find out you have to wrap it up in 5 episodes

Nyquist and CarpetElf like this.
  5. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I was never THAT emotionally invested in this show, it was always more of a background watch for me a lot of the time, but damn they really nailed those last two episodes

I'd never call this one of my favorite shows or anything but it was consistently really enjoyable and I'm glad it got to last as long as it did

6. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

It's not my favorite but with the pandemic and needing to hyperfixate on familiarity, this is easily my most watched show of all time.

7. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

This is easily one of my favorites. Everything about it is done extremely well. Gonna really start season 6 with the gf tonight probably

8. It sucks that it got cancelled just as there seems to be a much larger cultural focus on retail workers irl recently. Like I know they tackled the union stuff and immigrant workers relatively early on, but having a show that highlights this perspective in the age of COVID/essential workers, Amazon fulfillment centers, and the conversation around wage divide and stuff is really.... cool? Idk like obviously the show didn’t spent 100% of its time ~saying~ something, but it’s cool to have a network sitcom that’s not just about some quirky family lol

9. That was a nice ending, especially considering the cancellation was a surprise. Gonna miss having new episodes to watch.

10. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Great show, great finale.

11. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Brett was on the show for six years, said two words, and one of them was censored. Kind of wish they did that bit one last time and shown his interview being just him sitting in silence.

I Am Mick and trevorshmevor like this.
  12. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

trevorshmevor likes this.
  13. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Just finished the finale. Good way for it to go out.

14. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

What Jonah said in his audition tape really articulated what I kind of always felt about like department stores (we don't really have stores like Cloud9 here, or just barely). It was a nice moment.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  15. Bummer days re: the spinoff news

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  16. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I never expect any spin-off news to amount to anything, I would have been stunned if this one made it

17. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I miss this show.