Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Superorganism – Superorganism

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 23, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The story behind how band members meet is typically an interesting topic of conversation when they are interviewed for a press release. This is no exception with Superorganism, as their story is incredibly unique, much like their dynamic brand of music. The group consists of eight members, spanning the globe from England, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and South Korea. A large portion of the group met and formed a band called The Eversons, with now-lead vocalist Orono Noguchi finding the group from her YouTube recommends playlist, only to later submit vocals to an Eversons’ demo that the group collectively loved. With that, Superorganism relocated to London, England to form the majority of their debut, self-titled album.

With a recent stamp of approval from Sir Elton John himself and a shiny new record contract with Domino Records, Superorganism have crafted one of the strangest and mesmerizing debut albums to come out in quite some time. Featuring a blend of samples, programmed beats, heavy synths, and delicate vocals from Noguchi, the group is quickly making a name for themselves.

Since Superorganism are so difficult to categorize, it makes sense for them to name themselves after a group of organisms that depend on each other for survival. With the eight members that make up the group, all of their unique backgrounds and musical influences are heard in some capacity in this debut, meshing into one big slab of electronic indie-pop. Their first released single, “Something For Your M.I.N.D.” was prominently featured in the latest FIFA soccer video game soundtrack, and is a trippy slice of sounds catchy enough to get stuck in your head for days.

Other tracks on here, such as “The Prawn Song” with its hip-hop beat and near-rapped vocals from Noguchi, sounds like something Weezer would love to get their hands on. All of these sounds build up to a fun and bouncy chorus of “I’m happy just being a prawn” that clearly shows that these group of musicians could care less about fitting in with the status quo. Instead, Superorganism would much rather that you move along to the beat and absorb the vibes being put out from the record.

What makes this album so much damn fun is how modern they sound, without even trying to be. It’s almost as if their approach to songwriting is finding fun sounds, samples, and riffs to build around a basic pop song structure. Even though these sounds are at times random, if not surprising, the album is still a cohesive work of art that tells a unique story from start to finish. Somehow, it all works out just fine and by the time you navigate your way the final track “Night Time,” you are already mapping out time for your next spin of this great record. It’s Superorganism’s world, and we’re all just living in it.

2. Frinet42

Regular Supporter

2 songs in and I'm digging this a lot

paythetab likes this.
  3. MrAirplane

Trusted

great album. their tiny desk was just released recently too, definitely recommend it

edit: bandcamp link to stream the album

paythetab likes this.
  4. AnxiouslyAwesome

Brainless

Reminder that the everson's had several members accused of sexual assault and that Orono went to live with them when she was like 15

5. MacbethSin

Regular

Haha that Tiny Desk session is ridiculous. Have been coming across Night Time on Spotify playlists all over recently, really cool song

6. somethingwitty

Trusted

Their live show is awesome...very trippy visuals

7. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I think for every review you’ve done, I’ve agreed with the level of recommendation chosen

8. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i looked into this, this is....very odd

9. somethingwitty

Trusted

Any articles or anything you can point to? I just did some searching and couldn't find anything.

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  10. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Huh. I don't know what to make of this.

11. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

It looks like most the information about the band and the assaults have been scrubbed. That's really creepy.