Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Supergirl (CW) TV Show • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I mean, you should REALLY finish the first season either way. You're a fellow Agents of SHIELD fan, so you know how much that show has improved since its humble beginnings; this grew faster and higher. The back half had some wonderful episodes.

2. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I agree with @Tim. Definitely finish it up at some point.

3. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I was shocked that Metallo developed so fast, I was expecting at least a few episodes of build up first

4. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I liked what we got from Superman/Clark, but I really don't want him around for more than another episode or 2.

But still, a really solid premiere that did handle having two Super people around very well. The abrupt end to Kara/Jimmy was jarring. Clearly they are going to downplay his role with the move and that is a way to explain his absence at times. Still sudden though.

Still love every scene Supergirl is in. Such a joy to watch.

5. Tim

This season is already off to a great start. Shame on all the DC fans out there who aren't watching, especially for those who slog through BvS and Gotham.

I'm really happy with this Superman/Clark and definitely want to see him interact with Kara more. Part of me still wishes he'd never showed up, and I don't want him to ever steal the focus away, but I could see some great moments with the two of them throughout the season. As long as they handle his presence well, I'm all for him settling into a strong recurring role (a la Barry's dad in Flash S1) long term after this current storyline runs its course.

Lena Luthor is already a really interesting character. Can't wait for more of her.

Raku likes this.
  6. Good premiere. I really like this Superman. And as someone who absolutely loves Cavill's Superman, it's nice to have a more light-hearted portrayal. He feels like the Superman that Cavill's has been working toward in his character arc, which makes sense.

Melissa Benoist remains being the most compelling lead actor to watch on a superhero show.

7. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I'm glad they put the brakes on Kara/Jimmy. I'd rather she develop a relationship with someone else more organically. Last season she was obsessed with Jimmy from day 1. I don't like rooting for couples like that.

8. Greg

I mean, I don't think they were super great together or anything. But it was really jarring how sudden and out of nowhere it was within the show itself.

9. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Gotham is such trash. I gave up like four episodes into season 2. Such a missed opportunity. Even Arrow at its worst moments is better than that. Supergirl is far, far superior.

10. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

11. Davjs

Trusted

As a huge DC fan, how does this cheese fest even compare to all the amazing things in BvS? I agree on Gotham but come on.

12. A lot of people prefer the bright and hopeful nature of Supergirl/Superman(CW) as opposed to the dark and self-serious nature of the DCEU.

Raku likes this.
  13. Davjs

Trusted

Yep, it sells more for sure. Gotham isn't bad because it's dark though, and Flash isn't good because it's lighter. To me it's about the stories and writing, but I get that a lot of people just want the jokes.

14. Tim

BvS is bad storytelling disguised as "edginess." Supergirl is great storytelling with wonderful characters and character arcs.

If you dismiss fun and optimism as a "cheese fest," that's your prerogative, but darkness is neither better nor worse than this show's tone. It's all about what you do with it, and recent DC films have done horribly.

Raku likes this.
  15. Davjs Oct 11, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 11, 2016)
    Davjs

Trusted

And see, I could say the complete opposite. I guess it's all about taste. Like I said above, Flash is fun and has optimism but is not as cheesy and lame because of good writing. BvS had some story issues, but as a DC fan I love all the stuff they did right, same with the rest of the films.

Didn't mean to come in here and bash, just wanted to see what people thought of the new Superman but your comparison of this show to the movie is redonk, like Supergirl does anything on par with the DCUE :-)

16. Greg

Supergirl is far more satisfying than anything in the DCEU.

I don't want to spend much time bashing, so I'll keep it short. In general, While the movies have the budget to make the action scenes more impressive, the writing is generally very poor and makes those potentially impressive action scenes boring, trite, and ultimately not that satisfying.

While being on Tv holds the show back in doing bigger set pieces, the writing is far more compelling and the characters way more enjoyable. Cavil could be an amazing Superman, but unfortunately the movies have no interest in doing that. The Supergirl Benoist is doing has her struggles and doubt, but ultimately her being a hero prevails. You can enjoy her character and her story.

There's no comparison. I just started watching Flash and that's much better than the movies already. Substance vs empty action scenes. It's an easy choice to which is better.

This is way too long.

Kingjohn_654 and Raku like this.
  17. Dodge725

Trusted

Just echoing how great the premiere was. Superman was awesome. The world building was really deep (mentioning Gotham, Lex, Lois, Intergang, etc). I'm excited about Lena Luthor and I hope they base her off of Alexandra Luthor from the Superman: Earth One books because that's the most interesting version of a Luthor I've seen in a long time and would serve the show well since she has a much clearer reason for hating Super-people (revenge) than just the exetential god/power question that always gets muddled when not in a comic book.

The one thing I didn't like was her becoming a reporter. A little too much ripping off of Superman for my tastes.

18. Tim

19. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

20. "Are you crying?"
    *sniffle* "...No." :crylaugh:

I enjoyed that episode. Pretty cool that we got Superman and MM fighting together. Grumpy boss guy is a nice addition. So, is Calista Flockhart done with the show?

21. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Definitely enjoying this more than last season. Very strong 2 episode run so far.

22. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Cat :(

Raku likes this.
  23. Dodge725

Trusted

Maggie Sawyer was amazing. I hope this introduces the possibility of Batwoman but I know that's probably a little too hopeful. Mon-El and the Daxam into was cool too. They are building a lot of lore very quickly and it's all worked really well, especially the alien bar. The political commentary was very heavy handed and even as someone who wholeheartedly agrees with their point, I found it to be too much. Still a good episode with a lot of great introductions.

Whalejaw likes this.
  24. Tim

Watched last week's episode earlier, then this new one. Really, really like both of them. Cat's regular presence is really gonna be missed, but with any luck, she will become a strong recurring guest star. (Same with Superman.) I'm excited for more Martian Manhunter story. Alex is SO into Maggie...

BackyardHero11 and Whalejaw like this.
  25. Hello Megan!

This show is the best.

Dodge725 and Allpwrtoslaves like this.