Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Super Dark Times (Kevin Phillips, 2017) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Oct 2, 2017.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

upload_2017-10-2_13-7-30.png

Solid buzz about this, cinematography seems to be the highlight

2. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

gonna try and watch this tonight

3. I thought this was pretty good. Strong directorial debut from Kevin Phillips, and the lead performances were strong as well. Really nailed the mood and cinematography with this one.

4. I think this was my favorite film of the year. Still gathering my thoughts, but for a directorial debut, it blended genres masterfully and really nailed every individual component I can think of. Some of the cinematography (particularly the dream sequence in the woods) was just unreal.

SteveLikesMusic and SpyKi like this.
  5. Night Channels

Trusted

This is now on Netflix

Aaron Mook likes this.
  6. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Started this the other night, but fell asleep. Then Black Mirror dropped. Need to watch the last half ASAP.

7. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Dammit, I just paid to rent this 2 weeks ago! But I am glad this director is getting my money because the camera work in this is A+.

suicidesaints likes this.
  8. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Well this was pretty fucked up and had kind of a surreal feel to most of it.

suicidesaints likes this.
  9. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I liked this when I watched in back in October, but I didn’t like it as much as I thought I would, being that it’s basically all my favourite things in one movie. Watched it again tonight and got a lot more out of it. I actually felt I understood Josh’s arc this time

10. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I thought the movie was fine but I didn't really understand Josh's arc much at all.

mike1885 likes this.
  11. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I thought the movie lacked direction at first and I was definitely surprised by josh's arc I suppose

12. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

might check this out, one of the best ambient dudes around did the score and turned me onto it

Aaron Mook likes this.
  13. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Man this really impressed me. As many have pointed out, the josh arc could have used a little more explanation. But all the smaller character moments, especially between the main character and both his mom and Allison were just stellar. I really felt the teenage angst and longing.

Aaron Mook and SpyKi like this.
  14. Sal Paradise

Trusted

Finally got around to watching this. I really enjoyed it, and have been thinking about it all day. Also while I don’t buy into it, I found the Allison theory interesting.

15. Extremely late to the punch on this but really really loved it. The first like 30 minutes or so especially was fantastic, I love that it didn’t rush into the plot and really just let you kind of acclimate to the environment. Also not entirely sure I understood Josh’s arc — feels like I can kinda put the pieces together but it would’ve been nice to see just a bit more of what led him from point B to point C.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  16. I know this comment was a year ago so maybe you don’t really remember lol. But on the chance you do, what is the Allison theory? My assumption is that she was working with Josh in some capacity, but I’m curious if there’s more to that at all

17. Sal Paradise

Trusted

yeah the theory is basically that she is in on everything after the accident. There are some YouTube videos that dive into it but I don’t remember which one I watched

trevorshmevor likes this.
  18. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Late to the party, but I just watched this and really liked it. Some aspects of the 3rd act felt a little shaky, but for a debut it was remarkably confident and well-made. And the cast was great. Looking forward to seeing more work from Phillips.