Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sun Kil Moon Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by sophos34, Jun 21, 2016.

1. zmtr

Trusted

so.. I'm listening to Benji for the first time

fuck

2. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Mark struck gold with that album. I remember my first time listening to it. Had me crying in the shower lol.

3. cherrywaves

Trusted

I saw he put out another collab album, anyone listen?

4. zmtr

Trusted

Ben's My Friend has gotta be one of the best songs ever

5. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Blue crab cakes...blue crabbbbb cakes...

6. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Late to this post, but holy shit! Welcome to your new life!

zmtr likes this.
  7. zmtr

Trusted

It's so good man. Haven't even made it to any of his other albums yet

truelovewaits likes this.
  8. zmtr

Trusted

sports bar shiiiiiiiit

9. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Before you listen to his newest stuff, check out older Sun Kil Moon and Red House Painters. The new stuff is pretty divisive.

10. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

i still haven't listened to RHP yet whoops. def interested in what they evoke everytime someone describes them

11. Horrorca

Trusted

I love the first RHP album so much - it's crazy how much Koz has given me - I am extremely grateful for his art and growing up with it

12. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

The RHP discography is better than Sun Kil Moon's imo, and is essential for fall. Def check dat ish out

EmmanuelSCastle and cherrywaves like this.
  13. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

I never cared for him until Benji, and I’m split on everything he’s done since. Universal Themes is very meh, but the new record with Jesu (both, really) are decent, even if he’s constantly saying things in his songs that I think are bad. He just reminds me of a lot of my rural-suburban Ohio family and that’s not a good thing, but it makes it easy to connect to for me.

14. Importer/Exporter

Benji is a stone cold classic though.

15. Horrorca

Trusted

I'm going to the NY show next week - so fucking pumped!!

16. drewinseries

Drew

Seeing him in Cambridge, MA. Have no idea what to expect really. Is he playing guitar on this tour? Or is he going to be like drunk uncle rambling.

Either way I'm super excited.

17. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Haha, is he known for being one of those "you don't know what you'll get" shows?

18. Horrorca

Trusted

same here, brother

I could listen to this man reading grocery store lists and I would love it

19. drewinseries

Drew

Sometimes I look at it like "Pretty Mark" and "Sloppy Mark." Pretty Mark being most things before Benji, and Sloppy Mark being everything after. Sloppy Mark not indicative bad, but there is a significant drop in finesse in his recordings Benji onwards, I'm sure he likes it. Benji is where Pretty Mark started to evolve into Sloppy Mark.

20. drewinseries

Drew

Update: show was a mix of beauty and drunk uncle. All amazing. Arrangements were fantastic with a beautiful string section to really bring it to life. Played essentially none of the songs I wanted to hear, but that's fine, the show was easily one of the weirdest but most interesting shows I've ever been to. Mark with the crowd was hilarious. He's really good at adding tension, then cutting it.

"Do I give off the vibe of a guy who takes requests?" Was snapped at a dude yelling song names the entire night.

21. Importer/Exporter

What was the set?

22. drewinseries

Drew

It was all over the place, I'll relay what I can remember. Some songs I didn't know/hard to remember. He played for 2+ hours.

Opened with Somehow The Wonder Of Life Prevails
    God Bless Ohio, after this song called out an obnoxious girl in a dress who kept talking.
    Astronomy
    Few songs off an LP that came out two days ago, and a recent EP, Night Talks I think
    Chili Lemon Peanuts
    Micheline
    Dogs
    Here Comes My Girl (Tom Petty Cover)
    Celebrated Summer (Husker Du Cover) Improvised. Mark literally took the guitar from the guitarist and started playing. Had Steve Shelly hold a beat, but Mark kept forgetting the words. Had a girl jump up on stage and hold an iPhone to him with the lyrics. He said he wanted to "get it right for Grant." The entire band came in when they could, it was a beautiful moment.
    A newer song about a dream with Elliott Smith, incredibly haunting with the arrangements.
    Around this time he asked the girls in the front row how old they were because they didn't seem 18. Then he went on a rant about younger women are always beautiful yet men get older, seemed like a semi mid life crisis rant. He also kept asking them what songs were on his new record (referring to Common As Light) and they didn't say anything and he replied "story of my life"
    House Cat
    Encore with Beautiful You.

There were certainly more songs, he played for a little over 2 hours. But as I said, some I didn't know.

23. EmmanuelSCastle Oct 8, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 8, 2017)
    EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Sounds like he was being kind of gross at times tbh

cwhit and OotyPa like this.
  24. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Yeahhhh ew. I cant say I respect Mark as much as I used to. I understand he’s speaking his mind and that’s just kinda who he is, but I really preferred the days when the line between artist and personality was way less blurred

25. drewinseries

Drew

They also did The Possum.

Also, I didn't really find his thing gross. Just seemed brutally honest. The crowd seemed to think it was funny/was involved.

The improv Husker Du part was really special though.