Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sun Kil Moon Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by sophos34, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Horrorca

Trusted

the Sufjan bit is ridiculous, embarassing, hilarious and all good fun at the same time

the transgendered people basthroom part is ridiculous and heart warming and hopefuly will reveal a lovable part of Mark to all the PC squad/critics

I have a big love for this man's art and I would like to share it with all of you

I just hope everyone enjoys at least once this weird bewildering experience - that's all

mostly quality posting in this thread - I appreciate that

2. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Maybe stop using PC like it's a derogatory term and not just being a decent human being?

3. George

Trusted Prestigious

Listen to Josh T Pearson's Last of the Country Gentlemen. While it's not exactly the same thing as SKM, I think both share similarities. Both do long, meandering mostly acoustic songs, with very confessional, stream-of-consciousness lyricism. Both are very self-indulgent, in a good way.

Josh T Pearson isn't at all humurous, and it's a very lyrically heavy and exhausting album, but I find there's definitely enough similarities, so if you like SKM - you'll probably find something to enjoy with him.

I can't find any studio stuff on youtube, but this will do;

Give the album a listen if you have the time.

4. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

Oh man, that album is killer, but I only listen to it, like, twice a year, haha.

George likes this.
  5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

what the fuck???

Carrow and Contender like this.
  6. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Peter Broderick does the "narrate my life" thing. A lot of hip-hop is like that too

7. George

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I love it, but bloody hell, it is exhausting!

8. Horrorca

Trusted

ok here's the thing

I don't use PC as derogatory - I have nothing against decency and PC

I use PC squad as derogatory

all these dudes popping in threads they don't care about waiting for someone to say something "problematic" just to point it out

like there's a lot of interesting ideas in this thread and then some of you just scan the posts hoping to find something that you can "oh oh"

congratulations, you're a police officer

9. Horrorca

Trusted

I'll check that Pearson album, thank you

also comparing "a lot of hip hop" to this is a lazy comparison

to borrow a bit from @Gjpeace its like comparing Proust with Harry Potter - yeah, both are books about the life of some dude... but that's it

10. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

What are you on about? It's clearly the label PC that you are using to try and diminish the perspective of those (justifiably) offended by some of Mark's work. It's not adding the word "squad" that makes it derogatory, it's the way you've used being "politically correct" (read: sensitive to things you can shrug off) as some negative stance.

Carrow, Zac Djamoos and TheVandyMan like this.
  11. Horrorca

Trusted

hey listen

I don't mean to be an asshole

I don't want to offend anyone - I just don't know that feeling (and I understand that doesn't make it ok)

I just think M is a good guy and I really like his shit and I wish everyone could enjoy it and be moved

but all good

12. cherrywaves

Trusted

Lol no one else was talking about him being offensive except for you.

Carrow likes this.
  13. Universal Themes is still way underrated aside from "Cry Me a River Williamsburg Sleeve Tattoo Blues." Kinda puts the difference between Benji and this new record into perspective.

sophos34 likes this.
  14. cherrywaves

Trusted

"Birds of Film" is beautiful. I'm due to give that album a relisten

Aaron Mook likes this.
  15. "Cry Me a River..." is just so fucking petty and indicative of where that music journalist part of "Chili Lemon Peanuts" comes from and it's really disappointing, but aside from that, a lot of the music and storytelling on Universal Themes is really beautiful. The total stream of consciousness aspect works better over the span of eight tracks than it does 16.

16. 0rb

is this a dream? ✫・゜

I agree Aaron, I think 16 songs is too long. He releases so much music too I don`t know how he does it.

17. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

universal themes is great, took me a while to come around to it.

so far, this is good, the hate for it is blown so far out of proportion is comical. its too long and some songs are clunkers but theres quite a few keepers

Aaron Mook likes this.
  18. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I wouldn't call it bad, but I havent managed to get all the way through yet because of the sheer length, and this style of lyricism really does nothing for me. So I'm pretty indifferent to it. I will try Universal Themes again though.

19. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

idk why youd try to get through this album in one sitting. just pick back up where you left off next time you listen to it

Aaron Mook likes this.
  20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Listened to Benji for the first time a few days ago, there are actually some really heart shattering stuff on there which was surprising knowing this dude's reputation a bit

Aaron Mook likes this.
  21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

i can't imagine feeling so engrossed in this guy's banal ass rambling to return to it as though it were a fascinating season of television

I tried again and the album really does nothing for me. With Universal Themes and Benji, at least the storytelling has coherent themes and narrative arcs. that's enough poetry to the art, so to speak, for me-- but with this record, it just feels like he's killing time by chatting me up a wall. Destroys the illusion for me

22. cherrywaves

Trusted

I adore this version of Carry Me Ohio and for all the live albums he has, none of them have this song done in the fingerpicking style

Aaron Mook likes this.
  23. This is about where I'm at, gonna give it one more listen tonight while working on thesis and then do some writing about it

24. drewinseries

Drew

Birds of Film is such an amazing track. I've been spinning April pretty non-stop lately.