Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sun Kil Moon Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by sophos34, Jun 21, 2016.

1. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

surprised there's no thread for him. yall should check out the jesu album if you havent. still love benji and ive really come around to universal themes but you know ghosts of the great highway is a fucking classic.

Cubbi likes this.
  2. OotyPa

fall away

subbing because i love mostly everything mark has put out

3. cherrywaves

Trusted

I can't get into Universal Themes, and really haven't cared about anything he's done since the Album Leaf collab (which is super underrated), but his stretch run of the last two Red House Painters and first two SKM albums is downright astonishing. Four near-perfect records

Cubbi and Aaron Mook like this.
  4. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

April and Benji are the best things hes done. Also really enjoy Among The Leaves. I wish he didnt have to be a drunk asshole to people but his blunt, ornery, troubled nature is what makes his music as emotionally compelling as it is.

Every song on April is perfect though. Some of the best mood music to just lose yourself in.

Cubbi and Aaron Mook like this.
  5. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

If you can listen to "I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love" without wanting to call your mom, you're not human.

6. Randall Mentzos

Dude yes. I at least text her every time. I dont really cry at movies or sad songs but THAT song makes me tear up sometimes.

Cubbi likes this.
  7. Horrorca

Trusted

one of my favorite artists of all times

intelligent, moving, unique music

dude doesn't give a fuck about trends and has been consistently focused in his craft for years, something I admire in any person, regardless of field

he has developed such a unique voice and continues to break new ground, now with his ultra-literal/confessional approach

he has soundtracked so many moments of my life, it's not even funny

if I had to choose five albums (no order):

- Down Colorful Hill
    - the rollercoaster album
    - Ghosts of the Great Highway
    - April
    - jesu + SKM

got tickets for the November show in NYC - hyped as fuck as I've never seen him live

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

It's too bad he's such a dick because he's very talented

9. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

i operate under the assumption that anyone talented is a dick these days lol

10. Horrorca

Trusted

well, that's what makes him so real to me

he can be a really kind and sensitive guy (I've heard a lot of heart-warming, positive fan stories + those lyrics) and he can also be a total dick (as we all know + those lyrics) - some people think he's funny, some a total douche, and that's the case with most real people

I can identify with that, that's cool

but, ultimately, his art is great

11. Randall Mentzos

Nah.

But i will say that, if someone is a dick, they could be having an awful day or working through some struggles from their past so you can never assume theres no reason their attitude would be so negative.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  12. Randall Mentzos

Also i saw him live in a synagogue in Washington D.C. once. Man did it sound so amazing echoing off all the wood in there

13. Horrorca

Trusted

14. OotyPa

fall away

Enjoyed this track but it's not stunning like some of his other stuff. Although maybe my standards are high bc his other stuff is just so good

15. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Not sure if I'm emotionally ready for a new Sun Kil Moon album. Those literally exhaust me.

16. Horrorca

Trusted

Yeah, it's not one of his best, but I'll take SKM's worst over many artists' best

you have almost seven months to get ready LOL - talk about a lame roll-out

that said, dude's so prolific it doesn't even matter

17. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Haha, I know. I think I've listened to the Jesu/SKM collaboration one full time through though. Takes me a while ha.

18. Horrorca

Trusted

the jesu collabo is one of my favorite albums any of Justin or Mark has done - get to it

Steve_JustAGuy likes this.
  19. 0rb

is this a dream? ✫・゜

I love everything this man puts out. War on Drugs song is so funny.

20. Horrorca

Trusted

21. OotyPa

fall away

Christ... lmao

22. OotyPa

fall away

To be fair this is the first time I've heard anyone write about this super uncomfortable topic and he makes some valid points, despite the delivery of the lyrics lol

23. Horrorca

Trusted

that's part or Mark's charm, speaks his mind regardless of others' comfort

some people like that approach, some others hate it

24. OotyPa

fall away

that outtro is so hilariously awkward