Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sun Kil Moon - Common as Light and Love Are Red Valleys of Blood (February 28th, 2017) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Got about thirty seconds into this before I turned it off. Dude's voice is so grating to me at this point.

2. I think that might just be a stylistic decision though? It bums me out too, but his singing voice sounds pretty good to me on recent live recordings like Lost Verses Live and Live at Biko

3. I will say, asshole or not (and he's definitely an asshole), this man has made some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard, as well as some of the pettiest, as well as some of the strangest. Only four tracks in and this is pretty strange.

OotyPa likes this.
  4. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

what are you guys on about with the first track? its fine

Aaron Mook and OotyPa like this.
  5. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

This spoken word part is so oddly placed.

6. "God Bless Ohio" is not a reggae song lmao

OotyPa and sophos34 like this.
  7. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Man, I liked the first track but after that it's really falling off. Only at track 3 though so we'll see

8. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Whatever website plug in that uses does not work on my phone, so I probably can't listen until tonight. Excited to give it a spin though.

9. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

yeah like what

Aaron Mook likes this.
  10. 0rb

is this a dream? ✫・゜

It is strange, I'll be honest, I'm more interested in his new Jesu/SKM LP.

11. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Yeah, this isn't what I was expecting at all.

12. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

lmao what the bass and drums were doing at the start put me in the mind of reggae, it does not unfold like reggae.

anyway i got four songs into this before getting completely exhausted

13. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I just finished the album. It was terrible, and I'm a huge Kozelek fan

14. Horrorca

Trusted

first spin - here we go!

I really loved the last two so... let's see

15. Horrorca

Trusted

3 songs in hahaha and this is soooo weird

this will not win him any new fans I'll tell you that

it does have a weird dub/hip hop vibe - probably attributable to the percussion and bass

16. tucah

not champ Prestigious

the opener is fine then i got through two more tracks before i realized i can't take two hours of this

17. cherrywaves

Trusted

18. the jury's still out on this one for me but i just did the math and this album is two hours and 11 minutes long

19. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Oops, I tagged you in the other thread before seeing this.

20. tacobelle

I heard someone describe this album as something that shouldn't be listened to in full like your typical record, but something you experience in small servings like an anthology of short stories. Given the sheer girth of this thing, I think I'm gonna consider their interpretation as canon.

Benny Burrito and Aaron Mook like this.
  21. I think I like this album more than most people will but like I said, I definitely need more time to sit with it. There are certainly parts that don't work and songs I would cut ("Vague Rock Song," "Seventies TV Show Theme Song") but I think there are also some very beautiful moments (particularly "Butch Lullabye"). It's not Benji, it's not entirely like anything he's released before (I suppose his album with Jesu comes closest), but it is something uniquely Kozelek and I appreciate and enjoy that.

Benny Burrito likes this.
  22. Submitting my review of this now