Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Summer Came to an End, No New Brand New Single • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

2. heywassuphello

spare only the ones I love

LOL. Funny that people still compare BN & TBS. Totally different bands for years now. I love both & just want new music from BN at some point. Don't care when it is as long as I'm not dead when it happens. That would suck I guess.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  3. Adam is a bad songwriter that can't sing. TAYF is the only album I have ever consistently liked by the band. I made it through the new one and deleted it. Hated it.

4. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I remember you saying you liked where you want to be when it turned 10

5. Jason Tate Sep 22, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 22, 2016)
    I have hated that album since day one. Hahaha. Laser beam production and over written repetitive trash.

I hate that band. But enough about them ... Back to Brand New.

6. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I agree it'll never live up to the hype, but Modest Mouse released Strangers to Ourselves after an 8-year-period and I thought it was pretty damn good.

bobsheiskawy likes this.
  7. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Couple of thoughts reading through this thread:

1) Will the Brand New/Taking Back Sunday comparisons ever stop? I mean, what's the point anymore? After 2004, neither band sounded alike and both have went on WAY different paths. Let's give it up.

2) I know in a lot of Brand New threads, people will accuse other people of acting 'entitled' to receive new Brand New music and while I do agree that no fan DESERVES new music ever, it's a whole other thing for a band to send an e-mail to all their fans specifically saying there will be another single released in the summer for a 2016 album release and then just now following up on it. That said, it's whatever. It's not surprising. I'll take new music whenever it's ready.

8. The Mysterious

Yes...but a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts

DAMN it.

9. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

It's weird that this band has made my favorite album ever (TDAG) and one of my top ten (Deja) and yet I don't really feel like a fan cause I expect nothing from them. And to me Daisy is just ok and I killed Mene for the first week and haven't touched it since. Didn't even feel compelled to buy Nightmare. So I guess it comes down to they haven't made anything I love in like a decade.

10. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

So I guess when they said I Am A Nightmare was from an upcoming release they meant the 12" single.

I'll just take the liberty of assuming we aren't getting anything before Q2 2017. Putting "I Am A Nightmare" on the next album would just seem weird after it's been floating around for so long.

I wonder why they are holding back on an album. Perhaps writers block or something like that? Never seen a band that wasn't on hiatus take such a long break in terms of an LP release.

11. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Anyone else really entertained by the fact that Jason was probably waiting since the news hit that Brand New would have a record out to post this? The pessimistic realism with this band is mad funny.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  12. Don't think for a second I didn't look up the date summer ends and put it in my task manager for today. ;-)

13. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I don't know nearly enough about what was going on with Modest Mouse in those years to truly comment, but I have to imagine they didn't spend the whole time hyping it up. Weren't they even on a hiatus? It's different if you're not constantly expecting it. I'm sure I'll love the new Brand New album when/if it comes, so hey whatever. Haha

14. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

No, Modest Mouse never went on an official hiatus. In fact, they still played quite a bit of live shows throughout that 8-year drought and even played many songs live that would eventually appear on Strangers to Ourselves. Literally Shit in Your Cut and Lampshades on Fire were around for 3-4 years before it was officially put on Strangers to Ourselves.

bobsheiskawy likes this.
  15. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

I believe Modest Mouse released an EP of material left off We Were Dead but I could be wrong. Not that that says much but just pointing it out that it's more material in between release than Brand New has done so far.

16. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

They released No One's First and You're Next in 2009, which was B-Sides and unreleased material from Good News and We Were Dead sessions. Really, no different than Brand New releasing TDAG b-sides. Only difference is Modest Mouse released it way earlier than Brand New did.

coleslawed likes this.
  17. Sander

kflkmflkm

predictable

18. Jack Wilmott

Self-described freestyle wizard poet.

I just went back and listened to Mene and I Am A Nightmare. If they do ever release another album in the vein of those 2 I'll almost definitely dig it.

See not much love for those 2 songs but can they really do another DAG or Daisy again and do it justice.

NationalPhenomenon and Kevin360 like this.
  19. LosManosFuertes

Love This Place Supporter

I see both sides of the coin. I agree that artists do not owe their fans anything. Of course they don't. Entitled fans can be annoying and ridiculous. However, isn't an artist without fans/listeners kinda like the tree falling in the woods with no one around to hear it type of thing? It's a symbiotic relationship. Fans get something from their favorite artists and in turn support them and that support allows the artist to keep doing their thing. I feel like both sides have their responsibility in that arrangement. Oh well, though. That's just my opinion. Sad to see no new Brand New song before the end of summer...

20. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

Well they've been releasing one new song a year, so hopefully we get Sealed To Me or something in 2017

21. Kevin360

People joked about this, but it's seeming more likely to be the case now. One song a year.

coleslawed likes this.
  22. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Things to do today:
    Go shopping, wash the car, spit in the face of entitled Brand New fans, put up fall decor, etc.

Jack Wilmott likes this.
  23. Kevin360

You forgot taking videos of your cats. ;)

Jason Tate and Bryan Diem like this.
  24. Terry

It's much more accurate to report the opposite of what that band says will happen, will happen. Watch: Brand New will say things to string along fans. See, now that will actually happen!

25. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Would love new music that doesn't sound like Daisy.

One of the more disappointing records I can ever remember being pumped for its release.