Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sum 41 Band • Page 68

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Colin Your Enthusiasm, Apr 3, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

2. 333 GANG

ACAB

All Killer
    Chuck
    Infected
    Half Hour
    Order
    Underclass
    Bloody Murder
    13 Voices

I don’t dislike any of their records, but the top 4 are a step above the rest for me.

3. marchofmarty

there is no happy here Prestigious

20 years ago today All Killer No Filler was released.

4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

And my 13 year old self was loving it

ZooZooChaCha and JamesMichael like this.
  5. pbueddi

Trusted

6. pbueddi

Trusted

Interesting bit of info from the SBM era (some of it is common knowledge at this point).

7. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Major labels are pure shit almost every time and I’m glad they had a large (no pun intended) sum of money to buy their way out. I’m sure Island did wonders for them starting out but I’m also sure the record label they signed to back in 2000 vs 2010 are very different.

Anyways, it’s an unpopular opinion but I agree with Deryck - SBM is my favorite record of theirs to date with Chuck being a close second.

Jivin2709 likes this.
  8. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I guess with that context I can forgive them that song title Death To Pop

I thought it was just old man grumbling lol

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  9. pbueddi

Trusted

I wouldn't put it as one of my favorites, but I still think it's a really good record. It would be even better without Time For You To Go and Baby You Don't Wanna Know. Interesting how he says it was a fun record to make. If you watch the documentary, you can kind of see how things were going for Deryck at the time. Definitely not a lot of healthy behavior. I'm glad he has been doing so much better these past few years.

10. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Those two are the outlier tracks for sure and definitely should have been kept off the album lol

BornToRun and pbueddi like this.
  11. pbueddi

Trusted

But that Deryck pushed for oddly.

12. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

They're also arguably the poppiest songs on the album so it's weird that Deryck was upset that the label was pushing for more pop after fighting for those songs so hard

mattylikesfilms and pbueddi like this.
  13. pbueddi

Trusted

Im still curious how they got nominated for the Grammy as well. I mean, it's super cool, but it's not like Blood In My Eyes was a big hit for them. Seemed very random.

14. Jivin2709

@CorkRockingham Supporter

Completely agree with this unpopular opinion. In my eyes, when you look at their catalog, from an artistic standpoint, looking at SBM as an *album* in the truest sense, its not even close that it is far and away their best. And it only gets better when you watch the complete batshit insanity and decadence that defined its creation, as put on display in "Don't Try This At Home." That he was out of mind the whole time and cranked out his most sophisticated, complex work, while giving the best vocal performances of his career, is truly astounding. Even moreso given that it followed Underclass Hero, which - and maybe I'm totally misreading the room here - I think we can all agree is probably their weakest and most disjointed (love the three singles as I might - "With Me" should have been the biggest hit of their career). And despite them having two or three generational zeitgeist hits in their arsenal, I actually think Deryck is a massively underrated songwriter and taking this record into account, adding in that he almost died, came back and made a record as strong as 13 Voices after the fact only proves it (though I know a lot of people have problems with that record, I think the first four song run on there is a battering ram and as strong as anything they've done - another totally unpopular opinion haha).

15. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

[IMG]

16. pbueddi

Trusted

only thing i will say is that i love underclass hero lol

Phantom Mountain and danielm123 like this.
  17. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I’ll never understand why but hopefully he got a decent check for Time For You To Go’s music placement on 2011’s Green Lantern lol

pbueddi likes this.
  18. DannyZach

Trusted

Chuck and DTLI? are the golden eras…I can listen those anytime

19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I honestly never thought they could've taken the DTLI sound and go harder, but they did and Chuck is great.

JamesMichael and DannyZach like this.
  20. Jivin2709

@CorkRockingham Supporter

Lol I don't actively dislike it - like I said, I love "Underclass Hero," "With Me" and "Walking Disaster," and also dig "King of Contradiction" and "The Jester," the album's two outliers - I just think it was a half-baked idea that got stretched into an entire album. My main points of contention are the things I have never heard anyone else mention, that being that the same vocal melodies are continually recycled (see: "Walking Disaster," "Dear Father," "Best of Me" and "Pull The Curtain"), while the same B-note strumming is also recycled across "Walking Disaster," "March of the Dogs," "Pull The Curtain" and "Confusion & Frustration." A little "Inside Baseball" but hey, to each their own, we all have our things. People wouldn't have strong opinions about these things if we didn't love the band.

pbueddi likes this.
  21. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I really don’t like the majority of Underclass Hero. It just feels like a huge regression with a few halfway decent but half baked tracks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

22. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

They need to tour more. My biggest sum 41 critique.

23. pbueddi

Trusted

that was baby you dont wanna know! I remember going to the movie and being surprised when i heard it!

24. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

hahah whoops - you’re right!

25. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Underclass Hero is my second favorite by them lol

Chuck is 1 and SBM is 3