Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sum 41 Talk “Still Waiting” Video 15 Years Later

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Deryck Whibley of Sum 41 talked with MTV about the making of their video for “Still Waiting” and poking fun at The Strokes:

“Everyone else had kinda disappeared, and it’s now like 9 in the morning, so it’s one of those kinda parties,” Whibley said. “Julian and I [were] in the lobby drinking, and I just told him, ‘We got this idea for this video. What do you think? Do we have your blessing or do you hate it?’ And he was dying laughing. He goes, ‘Please do it! You have to do it.’ So we said, alright, cool, we have his blessing.”

“The way we looked at it was how quickly genres can come and go, and you can be the It band of a genre, and all of a sudden, a year later, it’s a whole new thing,” Whibley said. “That’s why the intro was so important to us because it set up that we’re making fun of ourselves. We’re irrelevant now because of all these new bands that are the new cool thing.”

2. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Classic.

jorbjorb likes this.
  3. ARo24

Regular

Glad to see Deryck is still doing well. This is such a great song too. Insane to me it’s 15 years old.

4. BradBradley

Regular

This is cool. I guess I took it as a goofy jab back in the day. It's even better knowing that they had hung out and Julian thought it was a funny idea.

5. I watched this video recently. The song still rocks.

slimfenix182 likes this.
  6. kiguel182

Regular

That intro is definitely a classic. Still cracks me up.

7. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Love this video - the guy who plays the label exec. is hilarious.

8. adleon18

"The Strokes, The... I can´t see you,The Vines The Hives, The White Stripes, check this out: The Sums" hahaha Classic

9. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

"Blink 182, Green Day 75 - these bands aren't cool" :crylaugh:

10. tomtom94

Trusted

Cool that the Strokes were in on it. I always assumed that Stevo's behaviour in the video and the use of pseudonyms was a dig at The Hives.

11. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Not for nothing, but Julian has always seemed like a really cool guy. And this song being 15 years old is incredible.