Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sum 41 - Order In Decline (July 19, 2019) Album • Page 17

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bd007h, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I will give this another shot, but I didn’t really like it on first listen. Can’t tell if it’s the songs – though I liked some of the guitar work, especially the solos, and Never There and Catching Fire were pretty good and gave me Yellowcard vibes – or the production because overall it just felt processed and lifeless.

Brent likes this.
  2. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

Would be interested to hear what you dislike SBM. I'm split on that album but for reasons most people probably wouldn't think of. It's a really inconsistent album to me from a production/mixing perspective. They heavy songs were mixed by Tom Lord-Alge and the rest by either Chris Lord-Alge Or Deryck and from all indications the TLA mixed songs were going to be a part of an EP only. So whenever I listen to it I hear the differences in mixes and it bothers me. Not to mention the non-TLA mixed songs are different stylistically as well. Just feels like a split-identity album.

Tomozaurus likes this.
  3. chelsealouanne

Regular

That's why I did not like "Never There" as much as I thought I would, but have a listen to the acoustic version of "Catching Fire":

KidLightning likes this.
  4. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Got the Urban Outfitters variant today. Seriously such a good album

Kuri44 and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  5. Tomozaurus

Regular

Youre definitely not alone in this. I like the album, but these days when I listen to it, I pretty much only listen to the CL-A tracks and skip the others.

6. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Muse 41 is what I got out of listening to this.

Kuri44 likes this.
  7. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Yeah this album isn’t doing it for me outside of Catching Fire and Never There. I wish i liked it more.

8. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I've listened twice now and it's definitely a HUGE improvement over 13 Voices, I like it a lot. I'm actually a bigger fan of everything Chuck-on than I am the earlier stuff so I don't really agree with the "best album since Chuck" consensus at all though. In fact I actually really don't see how you could HATE SBM but love this one

Definite highlights from me outside of the singles (which are all great) are The New Sensation, Heads Will Roll, The People Vs (whoever said this sounds like an old Offspring song was spot-on) and Catching Fire, which is damn near the entire album

Davjs and JRGComedy like this.
  9. pbueddi

Trusted

This could totally miss the point, but maybe the fact that it's more of a political album is part of why it's better than SBM (This coming from someone who likes SBM for the most part).

10. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Been listening to this more the past week and I would say this is about on the same tier as 13 Voices for me. I love 13 Voices so that’s not a knock at all.

Turning Away has grown on me but still am not too big on Catching Fire. Also, I know this isn’t a popular opinion but I don’t really like Never There and Heads Will Roll is fine but feels half-baked.

So far my favorite tracks are A Death In The Family, The New Sensation, Eat You Alive, and The People Vs..

Davjs likes this.
  11. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I have to say I would actually be interested in them trying to go in a poppier direction again with the next album, like another in the vein of Underclass Hero. I love that album a ton (I know I'm in the minority on that though) and would like to see how they tackle that kind of sound in 2019

bd007h, mmhmm, ZooZooChaCha and 2 others like this.
  12. pbueddi

Trusted

I'm totally with you, but I'm not sure that it's likely. However, I feel like they could do something close to UH without being quite as pop-orientated. Maybe a cross between UH and DTLI? if that makes sense.

BlackwingE likes this.
  13. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Underclass Hero is my favourite and after that All Killer No Filler. I don't like most of what's on the other albums. I feel like they have two types of fans, haha. I'm excited every time they release something though.

14. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I hope they never go back to their poppier sound.

Tomozaurus and Davjs like this.
  15. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

I love this album

16. Davjs

Trusted

Catching up now that I've spent the weekend with it. Some random thoughts...

I agree with Turning Away not being up there with their past album openers, but it's a great song on it's own merits. The guitar solo is killer but I think you can say that about almost every song on here, Dave and Tom really killed this album.

Heads Will Roll definitely puts a little damper on the high energy streak of songs 2 through 6. I don't know where else I'd place it but it does stop the flow of some great heavier tracks.

They released the 4 best songs pre release for sure, they knew what they were doing.

People Vs. sounds like an Americana era Offspring song. Love it.

I also agree with the Catching Fire acoustic being to preferred verison.

I'll be the one who says this isn't their best since Chuck. SBM still takes the cake, but this is a close second. There are no tracks on this that give Reason to Believe, SBM, Jessica Kill, the Road out of Hell trilogy or Blood in My Eyes a run for their money. I love that they kept their heavier sound from the best parts of Infected, Chuck, SBM and 13V and have seemed to mostly have that as their sound now. I really do love this so far and glad they are still around.

JRGComedy and mattylikesfilms like this.
  17. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

[IMG]

Absolutely agree.

Davjs likes this.
  18. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

I’m all for a return to Underclass Hero/DTLI sound. Those are my favorites.

19. ZooZooChaCha Jul 22, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 22, 2019)
    ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

This album rips. Heads Will Roll is probably my favorite so far.

Get a bit of a Green Day vibe from it and I like it. Someone said they can picture Billie Joe singing Catching Fire in an alternate universe - Heads Will Roll is that one for me.

20. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

All Killer - 13
    DTLI - 32
    Chuck - 10
    Underclass - 7
    SBM - 31
    13 Voices - 22

Billboard peaks. I never paid a ton or attention to this stuff with them, I wouldn't have guessed the follow up to Killer was their worst on the charts and Underclass was their best. Not in a billion years haha.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  21. pbueddi

Trusted

It's weird too because I believe UH has sold more copies worldwide. I know record sales were different back when DTLI was released, but their chart positions are kind of interesting.

22. pbueddi

Trusted

I haven't seen the guys included on the "bands on tv this week" section. Wonder if they will do a performance like with the last album.

23. Davjs

Trusted

That's wild since I would have guessed that Still Waiting was their biggest song. Also Hell Song did pretty well right? At least the music video got a ton of play at the time.

Petit nain des Îles and pbueddi like this.
  24. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Fat Lip is easily their biggest song, but I agree that it seems like Hell Song and Still Waiting were everywhere

Jason Tate and Davjs like this.
  25. manoverboard365

Trusted

DTLI came out the week of Black Friday. I'm sure it sold a solid number of copies first week, but it was outshined by all the black friday sales and holiday purchases.
    Crumby decision by their label. Unless you're Taylor Swift of Adele, no one should be releasing albums between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Davjs likes this.