Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sum 41 - 13 Voices (October 7, 2016) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Jun 29, 2016.

1. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

omg it really is punk hotel california haha

2. Fox83

Trusted

This is basically Screaming Bloody Murder with the edge that Chuck had (and Dave brought?). I think it's more SBM than Chuck, but fans of either record should at least be "OK" with this. My only complaint is that most the choruses aren't really hooking me in like some of their stronger work, but it could all grow on me (SBM had even weaker hooks, in my opinion). I'll certainly be listening to the instrumental work on this repeatedly if nothing else.

3. Fox83

Trusted

Alright, I'll amend my comment to point out that Twisted By Design may have the catchiest chorus on the album. Definitely a memorable one. And I love love love Steve-O, but Zummo is really delivering here - thankfully!

bd007h likes this.
  4. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I really wish the tour was coming anywhere near me, it's weird but I always feel like I find it harder to get into albums if I don't catch the artist on the tour for it. At least I got to see them on Warped

5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Damn I'll have to listen to this leak..

6. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Whoa, "Twisted By Design" is damn good. After one listen to this, I'm immediately taken by the energy they rediscovered after diminishing returns from the last two. Really happy to hear it in Deryk's voice how better he feels. Some cheesy moments here and there, but I sort of dig that haha (courtesy of my father's adoration for 80's metal).

pbueddi likes this.
  7. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

So are the three released songs some of the weaker ones on the album?

8. pbueddi

Trusted

for sure, minus fake my own death. although i do really enjoy the lyrics of War. god save us all is by far the weakest on the album. id replace it with one of the bonus tracks.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  9. Fox83

Trusted

I think so, but it's hard to say definitively when you're asking to compare with 30% of the album. Ha. There are at least three songs I'd take over ANY of the released songs you've heard so far, maybe more.

10. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah this album is a jam

11. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I like the acoustic version of war all lot more than the full band version

12. smoke4thecaper

Minus "Fake My Own Death," absolutely. It's far more instrumental than I had anticipated. The Brownsound is definitely back for real.

13. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I'm getting so excited reading through these comments. Can't wait to hear the first track and last track especially!

14. The positive response has me excited. I'm waiting until Friday, though.

15. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

I'm planning to listen tonight when I get home from work. My expectations have definitely been raised from this thread.

16. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

"War" and "Death to POP" are easily the worst tracks on this record IMO but they sound even better in context with the whole record.

This album is pretty solid upon first listen. It's Chuck and Screaming Bloody Murder combined into one, essentially.

17. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

"Goddamn, I'm Dead Again" is classic Sum41 and I love it.

18. smoke4thecaper

Title track is a ripper. The hook on it is classic Sum. My favorite after "Twisted by Design."

19. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

This is the album I've been waiting for since Chuck, but it's some years too late. Still fun though, albeit the cheese.

Davjs likes this.
  20. pbueddi

Trusted

why is it too late? if you enjoy it, what does it matter? just asking.

21. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I suspect I'd love it way more if I was still in like early high school, whereas this isn't what I generally listen to anymore so I don't know if I'll go back to it much at all. But, again, certainly enjoyable enough at the moment and I'm happy for Deryck.

22. pbueddi

Trusted

gotcha. understandable.

23. stonecoldnimrod

Trusted

wait... there's bonus tracks for this album??

24. smoke4thecaper

Yes, 4 - two bonus, two acoustic

25. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Man, I really miss the classic Sum choruses. This album rips, Brownsounds solos are awesome. And I do love how chuck/SBM it is, but the lack of really hooking choruses hurts it. I hoping probably won't happen, but I hope they pull a Yellowcard and put out another record in like a year, and make something a little more Infected/Underclass-y.

Kuri44 likes this.