Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sum 41 - 13 Voices (October 7, 2016) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Fox83

Trusted

God Save Us All (Death to POP) is circulating on the internet now. It leaked somehow (the song, not the full album). I think Chuck fans will like it. I think it's fair to say it could have worked on DTLI as well. Nothing mind blowing, but it feels like a comfort song if you like those few albums.

2. doubledribble

Regular

Plus Green Day comes out same day. Tough spot for the band.

3. Mia

Yeah I can't find it, but I'm actually excited to hear it. Sum 41 and Yellowcard were my two favorite bands growing up, and...well...let's just say I'm more than both a little pumped and a little sad this week.

Fox83 likes this.
  4. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

PM?

5. Haven't they been doing that a lot lately? TBS, this, and I feel like there was another bigger band that released something with zero marketing.

6. Fox83

Trusted

I streamed it. Didn't download. I stumbled across it on Sum 41's reddit sub. It may still be there.

7. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Not really feeling the God Save Us All after first listen. Reminds me of Linkin Park and The Offspring.

8. Mia

Found it. It is very linkin park-y. Although it's not bad, it seems a little generic.

9. Fox83

Trusted

Yup. When I compared to Chuck, I was thinking about There's No Solution or I'm Not The One. Some back-end filler type songs. I'll still take this song over most of Screaming Bloody Murder. Just my opinion of course.

10. Had the same thoughts.

11. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

12. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

I think Screaming Bloody Murder is underrated. It came out at a really bad time for the band, just as they were really starting to fall off so alot of people wrote it off. But Scumfuk, Happiness Machine, Jessica Kill, Holy Image of Lies, and Crash are all pretty good. Of course, I only came to that conclusion several years after it came out. For a very long time I thought it was an awful album.

ekjohnson4, Fox83 and mattylikesfilms like this.
  13. mattylikesfilms Sep 28, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 28, 2016)
    mattylikesfilms

Trusted

The only thing that's slightly arrogant of Deryck to say is how he thinks people don't feel anything with pop music in comparison to rock. I mean, I think a big portion of pop music is garbage that you might like cause it's catchy but holds no actual weight, but to say that's the case across the board is silly.

Anyways, God Save Us All is pretty solid to me. It's not as great as Fake My Own Death but all I know is this song is better than "War" which.. oof... not good. Also, It's only the opening guitar riff that sounds like Linkin Park.

Davjs likes this.
  14. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

SBM is a great record that I always dug since day one. Never got the hate at all for it. Sure, it blends together a little at times and the additional two tracks Deryck paid out of pocket to record hurt the flow (Baby You Don't Wanna Know, Time For You To Go) and overall album but I loved it. I'm glad more people are enjoying it in retrospect.

15. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Yeah the whole anti-pop thing was lame

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  16. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I love SBC, including the two songs listed above

17. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Linkin Park is mehhhh but I have always loved The Offspring, especially their first four albums.

18. Fox83

Trusted

I think he's mostly referring to his peers that have more pop leanings than they did a decade ago. I sort of took his comments as pandering in a way. I think he's just taking a stance to please rock/Sum fans.

19. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I like those two as well but they definitely hurt the flow of the record and feel weird. Should have been released as b-sides or a EP in my opinion.

20. Mia

Really? I'm actually a HUGE fan of War. I think it's the best one released so far, but hey, to each their own :p

21. Kuri44

I haven't been impressed with these songs at all. FMOD is probably my favorite, but these comes off to me as sounding like SBM b-sides/bonus tracks

22. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Yeah, I reaaallllyyyy hope the best of this album is still to come.

23. Davjs

Trusted

I agree, I loved SBM from the first listen. To me it was the most "Chuck" they've been since.....Chuck lol. The album opening with what sounds strangely similar to the T2 Theme let me know that this album was going to be awesome.

Jessica Kills, Reason To Believe, Holy Lies and the title track are some of their best songs IMO.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  24. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

The one-two punch of Holy Lies and Sick of Everyone is one of the biggest highlights on that record. I really don't get how anyone who loved Chuck didn't love the hell out of that.

25. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Yeah I found the song and video cheesey which I feel low key bad about since I know the director ha.

Maybe the song will click with me once I hear it in context with the whole record.