Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sum 41 – “War”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Sum 41 have released their new song “War” on Spotify in certain regions. It’ll be live on all digital outlets tonight at midnight.

2. CaptainInsano Aug 24, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 24, 2016)
    CaptainInsano

Was expecting a really heavy song... Still loved it though.

Side note: I may be off on this, but I think these are the lyrics he wrote when he was right in the middle of rehab when he was weighing if the rest of rehab was worth it or if he should go back to drinking.

3. ibanez966

Fuck region locking.

CaptainInsano, Fox83 and bd007h like this.
  4. Fox83

Trusted

Pretty catchy. Seems like a great pick for a single. I want more Dave though.

5. TDenverFan

Regular

Music video:

6. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Hopeless has so many good bands right now.

7. Pretty sure the album was written mostly by Whibs.

Raku, Fox83 and pbueddi like this.
  8. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Yeah that video it just to cringey as hell for me...

I love "Fake My Own Death" but this song is just ok. Nothing memorable at all.

Jonesy likes this.
  9. aniafc

Trusted

They always need that slow song. Hopefully there's not too many more like this, though it's not terrible. I agree with you, it's just okay.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  10. Carlos

A lot of people saying the song isnt as powerful as Fake your Death etc. But I think this is the most powerful song he has written, and kind of imagery the lyrics paint, as well as the video say. He was fighting for his life because of alcohol abuse, he was ridiculed and embarassed about the style of music he plays, his past marriage, he lost contact with who he was. It seems he has embraced what he is now and not give a fuck, and at least he owns up to it. And no, he isnt doing alright, that is why its war, he still has a lot to fight emotionally with every day. This might be the most skinless song he will write hopefully in his lifetime next to Crash, because I dont think this guy can take anymore tragedy. Now all he has to do is move back to Canada and not leave us in the dirt,

Raku, slimfenix182 and doubledribble like this.
  11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I do like their slow songs when it's done right. "Pieces" is amazing and gives me feels but this is some radio filler type of song.

12. chickenlover

Said I'm okay, but I know how to lie.

And again: Boring.
    A lot of anticipated releases this year fall so flat.

13. pbueddi

Trusted

Really enjoyed the song. Was waiting for a little more "punch" in the chorus, but it's not bad. Liked the lyrics and what this song probably means to Deryck.

14. Fox83

Trusted

[
    I assumed so too. I'm just curious to see if Dave has some interesting contributions, unless he's just a touring guitarist for them now. I also know they recorded the majority of the album separately, à la Neighborhoods. So, I'm a little nervous. We'll see.

15. Davjs

Trusted

This was a nice song. One faster/heavier type and then a softer on in the vein of Some Say and Best of Me, not a bad way to go IMO. Excited for the album.

Also I'm a sucker for videos with nice band performance so I dug the video.

Raku and Spencer Rhoton like this.
  16. somethingliketj

And that's why you always leave a note.

I thought this was pretty vanilla. Sounded just like a b-side from Chuck, or even Underclass Hero.
    Been highly underwhelmed by the presence of Brown Sound on these couple songs - bring on the geetar solos!!

17. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

From their Facebook page about this song:

"so we have officially picked the first single now. this song is called “war”. i picked this song because of it’s importance to me. i feel this song literally saved my life. i was at my absolute lowest point of what seemed like a never ending recovery. i was at a tipping point where i could have easily just given up and went back to my old ways of alcohol abuse which would’ve ended up killing me, which at the time felt like a better option. when all of a sudden, in mid thought, these lyrics sort of appeared in my head and i grabbed a pencil and paper instead of a bottle and started writing. when i read it back to myself i realized i had written words that i would need to live up to if i wanted to survive. whenever i had any thoughts of giving up i would read these lyrics myself to remind me that i need to keep fighting harder and what it was exactly i was fighting for." - deryck

Raku and Davjs like this.
  18. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Love this song, and the significance to Deryck.

Raku likes this.
  19. Jackbo487

Regular

This song has a late-era Linkin Park feel to it, especially Dave's guitar tone and the structure, IMO. Don't mind it, I fully understand the importance and meaning to Deryck...just hope the rest of the album is harder stuff

20. ohitsjustrob

"The only truth is music." Supporter

I like the song, could do without the video, it was kind of a cheesy video I think. If I just listen to the song though, its pretty damn good.

21. SayHello

Regular

Weird choice for the first, official single...

22. BigMouth Aug 25, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 26, 2016)
    The context for this song is awesome, the result is boring as hell. I'm glad Deryck recovered and that he's turned it into something positive with this, but I am not into this song.

chickenlover likes this.
  23. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

Not exactly sure why, but I the second I heard this my immediate thought was "this sounds like it should be on the new transformers movie soundtrack". Not exactly sure if it gave me a Linkin Park vibe, but that's where I feel this belongs. Not horrible, not great, good filler song....while metal bots destroy each other and possibly Earth.