Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sum 41 – “Fake My Own Death” • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 28, 2016.

1. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I never understood the hate for Screaming Bloody Murder. It's not their best record but it has a ton of great tracks. Underrated for sure.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

I go back to Screaming Bloody Murder way more than Underclass Hero, that album has like 1 or 2 songs I revisit the rest I just don't bother with.

testtime likes this.
  3. Davjs

Trusted

Oh yeah, the only two I don't really care for are the Baby You Don't Wanna Know and Time For You To Go. They sound like the same song and reminds me of Greenday. How can an album that opens with the Terminator 2 theme be bad? I knew from those moments that I was in for a treat. To me this album is more like Chuck than anything else they've done.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  4. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

If you look at the mixing/production credits on Screaming, like 6-7 of the songs were clearly funded by the record label--they're better mixed and sound crisper than the other tracks--and that makes me think it was originally going to be an EP (Deryck said as much awhile before the album) and then it was expanded to a full-length and filled with some tracks that weren't as good. I listen to Screaming like an EP and love it.

This new song rips. Pumped for more.

5. Jackbo487

Regular

Wow, this is basically what I was hoping to hear now that Dave joined back up. Absolutely ridiculous video but that song rips...

6. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Baby and Time are actually the only two tracks that Island said no to after spending a good sum (pun intended) on the record. It makes sense cause they completely break the groove of the record so to speak. I like the songs but they would have been better as bonus tracks.

Reason to Believe, Screaming Bloody Murder, Scumfuck, Jessica Kill, Holy Image of Lies, Sick of Everyone, Happiness Machine, and Blood in My Eyes are all great songs in the bands catalogue. Definitely better than anything off Underclass Hero in my opinion.

Davjs likes this.
  7. Davjs

Trusted

Interesting. What songs off the album are on this EP?

8. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

I'd have to go back and check the liner notes- pretty sure it's basically all the songs you just listed. Mixing plays a bigger role in how people take to songs than many people may realize.

9. Jackbo487

Regular

Just hit me that part of Fake My Own Death reminds me of Thanks for Nothing, maybe the chorus?

10. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Definitely thought this song reminded me of a song off Infected. This must be it.

11. thecobrakais

Regular

this is how you make a comeback! loving the energy, but most of all, i love how healthy derek looks.

mattylikesfilms, RileyWitiw and Davjs like this.
  12. delvec19

Trusted

Hence why I put "IMO" after it.

13. Davjs

Trusted

why did my quote not capture that part? Edited? Anyway it doesn't matter, of course it's your opinion. And it's wrong because Jessica Kills is one of their best songs :-)

14. delvec19

Trusted

Sorry 1 song doesn't make an album. Just didn't come close to anything on their first 3.

15. Davjs

Trusted

Well obviously I love the album as a whole, just pointing out it has one of the bands best songs.

I like it better than Half Hour of Power, Killer/Filler and Underclass, but it's below Infected and Chuck for me. Since this band does the heavy tracks along with the pop punk ones, it's fun to see the fans divided.

16. Jacob Davidson

Regular

I'm seconding the Chuck vibes. Sounds like their harder stuff

17. FakeGyllenhaal

Wow I like it a lot.

Last I had heard a few dudes had quit the band and Deryck looked like he had one foot in the grave. Happy to see they are doing much better as a band and as people!

18. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

Is Sum 41 really pop-punk? I feel like some of their music has slightly darker themes than most pop punk bands.

When I hear the term pop-punk I immediately think of bands like simple plan. Let's call metallica or rage against the machine pop-rock.

I dig it though, has me hopeful for the new album. I feel they will have plenty of angst to draw from.

19. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Yes, they really are.

Raku likes this.
  20. Frinet42

Regular Supporter

Finally a sequel to Chuck!

21. Davjs

Trusted

Depends on the album. No way I'd say chuck, screaming bloody murder or some of infected are pop punk.

22. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

It's mainly a joke. It gets really old answering that question and trying to justify it and yada yada

Davjs likes this.
  23. rushlinburg

I love the music but those lyrics....bleh.

24. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Safest, or the best all around record? I think they took time to take the best parts of what Thrice is and made what I think now is my favorite cohesive Thrice album...

25. Both could be true. But I don't think it's their best.

Davjs likes this.