Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Suicide Squad (David Ayer, 2016) Movie • Page 60

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Katana could be so damn cool if they didn't make her so pointless.

2. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

my worst movie experience of the last 10 years was watching suicide squad on a plane ride on mute

Zilla, awakeohsleeper, tucah and 4 others like this.
  3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I literally forgot about her, lol.

In my "please don't waste time on a Suicide Squad sequel when most people would be happier with a Harley Quinn film" plans, if I really wanted to use Katana again, I'd probably just have Waller send her after Harley. It'd be a minor beat in a film more focused on her relationship to Joker and Poison Ivy, but it'd be a fun little bit to acknowledge that she was broken out of Waller's facilities without letting the Squad weight her down. Plus, Katana would probably get fleshed out more in that kinda minor appearance than she was in Suicide Squad, lol.

4. I can't see how SS was even fun. There wasn't a character to like. Harley was like a Hot Topic nightmare. Deadshot was just Will Smith being Will Smith and everyone else had a combined 8 lines. Such a drag of a movie in my opinion. I'd gladly watch Batman and Robin over this movie at least that one is so bad you can laugh along with it but SS was just so blah.

5. younglikeme

ii // YLM

Is Suicide Squad a great piece of filmmaking? No.
    Does it have objectively redeemable qualities? Yes.
    Are there fans of this movie in spite of its faults? Absolutely.

Now let's compare... & to make it easy, let's only back 30 years to 1989's Batman... (imo) Suicide Squad falls somewhere above Catwoman, Batman & Robin, Steele, Green Lantern, & Superman Returns, but below Watchmen, Man of Steel, BvS, & then of course below the top tier of the Burton Batman dilogy, TDK trilogy & this year's Wonder Woman. Even if we included the Superman movies from the 70s, I'm not sure its place on the list moves very much.

& don't get me started on the culture of love for Marvel & the culture of critique for DC... not to say both aren't warranted in some measure, but acting like Suicide Squad is worse, not only that but abysmally worse, than some of it's Marvel counterparts is patently ridiculous & indicative of this problem.

6. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Suicide Squad was way better than I thought it was going to be based on the media's reaction. I didn't know much about the storyline from the comics or anything, which probably made me like the movie even more. I thought it was pretty decent and entertaining. Hopefully the joker has more screen time in the sequel. That was pretty disappointing. I liked Leto's take on the Joker.

Davjs and younglikeme like this.
  7. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

People enjoy Marvel more despite their flaws because, generally, they get the main character right. That can make a film enjoyable. But when the main character isn't likable/relatable or inspiring; even if it's a well crafted film otherwise, many people just won't be that interested.

Take Homecoming, why Peter wants to help people is not really explained in the movie. There is a like in Civil War that hints at the Uncle Ben stuff, but it's never explored. Despite not really giving explicit motivation on screen, Peter does indeed want to do good and help people, even when it will impact him negatively. I think people like that and it's something to aspire for. Even if it was not written that well, it's still effective for the broader audience and most viewers.

Until Wonder Woman, DC hasn't really done that recently. While there are totally bias fan boys, I think the overall view of DC vs Marvel makes total sense.

8. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

This movie is easily worse than every single MCU movie and they have some baaad movies.

a nice person and Alba like this.
  9. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Not worse than Green Lantern, much worse than Batman V Superman.

younglikeme likes this.
  10. younglikeme

ii // YLM

Fair points & I'd agree Marvel gets it right MORE of the time than DC, but even when I think DC does get it right, for example in Man of Steel, the reaction is palpably, & overwhelmingly, the opposite. I read constantly when MoS was released that the portrayal was too dark & too far a deviation from the character we know but a) that was part of my enjoyment of it & b) I prefer a quiet, stoic, introverted Superman (he is an outcast after all who will perennially struggle with acceptance & normalcy his entire existence as he watches everyone he's ever loved die around him... so yeah, maybe that's why it was a little dark... but I digress).

& there in lies my point... I totally agree with your assessment but it's littered with caveats I don't normally see extended to DC. For example, they did many things wrong with Deadshot but to say Will Smith did nothing with the role as I've seen be said is laughably untrue. He added depth & emotion to an otherwise poorly written role in a way I haven't seen Will Smith do in a minute. I LOVED Homecoming (probably neck & neck with Guardians as my favorite Marvel offerings) & it's miles above SS but just as you were able to point out some issues with it & dismiss them for the greater good, I think there's been some "greater good" in the DC universe so far that people are, for some reason, happier & more ready to dismiss.

I think some of it comes down to which characters you're a fan of too, ya know? I grew up in the early 90s feeling like Iron Man was a cheap rip off of Batman, & Captain America was a lamer, even more goodie rip off of Superman so I never took a liking to any of those characters & thus, never their movies either. Marvel to me came down to Thor, The Guardians, X-Men, & Punisher. The MCU revolves so heavily around 2 guys I've never really took to in any iteration so you can imagine my difficulty being objective, but I'm trying.

11. I think my main gripe with SS is the time spent introducing characters that should have already been introduced.

Having a team up closer to what the Avengers offered would have made for a much more streamlined film.

My other issue is that the film didn't know how to handle Harley. They play up the fact that she's crazy and a badass but also try to garner some sympathy. She's a sympathetic character for sure but the movie doesn't handle it well.

If this film had come out after at least a few of the characters were previously introduced, handled them as actual villians and threats, and made the Joker the villian, it would have been a much better film ie Assault on Arkham.

Just my opinion and I don't mean to take away from anyone's enjoyment of this or any film. I love digging into these films and reading other viewpoints cause I can definitely have some tunnel vision with respect to my opinions.

12. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Cavil's Superman is the worst victim to this era of incompetence in making DC movies. Personally, I hope WW has started a new era, but we shall see if she is the rebirth or the exception of DC movies.

Cavil's superman is uninspiring, selfish, and generally unlikable. He cares little for humans unless their name is Lois Lane or Martha Kent. Beyond that, he views saving people as a burden and some painful obligation rather than doing it because it's the right thing to do and has the ability to help. There is no joy or passion there. He looks depressed when they finally show him saving people in BVS. Who could care about that kind of Superman? Then they rush to his death in only his second movie, which is entirely pointless emotionally because he is a selfish jerk. Then, story wise they make it entirely pointless by having the dirt rise as the last shot. It's a massive waste of time and does nothing to gain any sort of enjoyment of his character. I was glad he died, though I knew he couldn't really die. Of course he was always coming back, but they don't even let the moment have its time if you somehow actually cared for him. He has been so poorly handled.

As for Will Smith, yea, he did fine. You're right, DC doesn't get the greater good stuff because their greater good isn't that good. I don't dismiss the HC issues, they are there, but the movie succeeds anyway. DC movies just don't. Their highlights just don't overshadow their flaws. The highlights are too few and not high enough. And again, they just don't get their main character strong enough to carry the film. Marvel, generally, does get that crucial part right. It makes all the difference.

Superman is awful so far. Batman was decent, they did a good job initially showing his selflessness in running towards the destruction to help people. Stuff like that is what makes Batman the best part of BVS. But he kind of goes off the rails with rage for that superman right and isn't super likable in that sequence. Then he suddenly changes due to that horrible "Martha" scene. Just painful.

Dead shot was good, but it wasn't his own movie. Too many characters eating up pointless screen time.

Wonder Woman was amazing. It was truly her movie and her story and they knocked it out of the park. So despite having a pretty standard final fight of "stronger evil version of hero" villain, the movie still totally works.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  13. younglikeme

ii // YLM

I get what you're saying, I really do, & so I think it must just be a matter of differing opinion. I can see why you saw him as a selfish jerk with a painful obligation, but I saw it as more realistic than an alien with a strict moral code. If I were an alien stuck on another planet, having to hide who I was because I'd be captured & experimented on, it might take me awhile before I warmed up to the idea of being that world's savior. Honestly, how many of us have enough periodic disdain for humanity that we don't question whether or not it's worth saving? That makes sense right? We can debate Cavil's portrayal & maybe you didn't get that vibe from him, or maybe it wouldn't have mattered either way & you don't like the type of Superman they created regardless. But that's also why I said in my original post that a lot of this may just come down to hero preference. I may be more likely to make excuses for characters I like & vice-versa.

Totally fair assessment again, I just don't personally see it as lop sided as you do.

14. drewinseries

Drew

I would love to see more Waller/Deadshot/Harley, but that doesn't need to be a SS sequel though I would go see it.

15. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

It was quite possibly the worst film I've ever watched. I'm still mad. Lol

a nice person and Alba like this.
  16. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Watched this recently as I noticed I hadn't watched any DC films post-The Dark Knight Rises and it was one of the most soul sucking and head bangingly stupid films I have ever seen but least it wasn't as long as the likes of Man of Steel or Batman Vs Superman which were also life draining.

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  17. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. An utter failure on virtually every level.

Jusscali and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

the sequel has to be called 2icide Squad

19. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

20. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Davjs likes this.
  21. Davjs

Trusted

22. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Sequel's delayed, apparently because of Will Smith

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  23. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

If only it was cancelled

Alba and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  24. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Please delay forever

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  25. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Well I for one instantly exclaimed "I was more of this!" when I left the theatre