Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sufjan Stevens Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Letterbomb31, Apr 26, 2016.

1. zmtr

Trusted

Sufjan has been a part of my life for a decade now and I have no problem putting C&L #1

2. Lucas27

Trusted

Literally think of this song every time someone mentions The Revenant. I'm so happy this exists.

3. Lucas27

Trusted

Seven Swans and Michigan should both be to your liking. If you're a bad fan at least you have a lot to look forward to.

4. Horrorca

Trusted

the only thing that feels like an idea dump and that isn't perfect on ADP is the Classic Rock Version of ADP

besides that, as concise and perfect an album can be

zmtr likes this.
  5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Yeah, as much as the full version is WAY better than the edited down version, I still always listen to both when I listen to the album for some reason

6. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Hey everybody, perhaps you all could help me. I just heard Carrie and Lowell and I loved it! For some reason I've never heard any Sufjan stuff before. Where do you think I should go next? He has so much music it's kind of overwhelming haha.

ChiliTacos and irthesteve like this.
  7. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I would listen to Illinois next.

chhholly123 and Letterbomb31 like this.
  8. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Definitely listen to Illinois as it's his best work, but you should also check out Seven Swans. It's stripped down just like Carrie & Lowell is.

chhholly123 likes this.
  9. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

And if you really like Illinois, follow that up with The Avalanche. It's just b-sides and outtakes from Illinois.

chhholly123 likes this.
  10. wood&wire

just one of those ghosts

Considering the time of year, you might want to just dive into his Christmas music (Songs for Christmas and Silver & Gold). There's no way you'll get through all of it, but it's pretty special.

chhholly123 and airik625 like this.
  11. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Thanks!

12. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

AdzAdzAdzAdzAdzAdzAdzAdzAdzAdzAdzAdzAdzAdzAdz

arewhyayein likes this.
  13. Horrorca

Trusted

1. listen to Illinoise to reaffirm his greatness for you
    2. then, ADZ for a little bit of OMG who is this crazy genius and what is this
    3. afterwards, All Delighted People, one of the best albums ever recorded and his crowing (unsung) masterpiece
    4. you have now blind faith in this man and his art, and can freely explore the rest of his works as you please... you can go symphonic, minimal, weird, fun, dark depending on your mood

14. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

"All Delighted People" finally hit me about a month ago, and I realized it very easily could be the best song he's ever done.

zmtr and Kyle is hk like this.
  15. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

I wish it got its own album cycle. It should be hailed as a classic

zmtr likes this.
  16. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

Illinoise was my first foray into Sufjan's music and I loved it pretty much immediately. It's much more grandiose than Carrie & Lowell, but also has songs that match it in style and quality imo. Age of Adz is very different, but probably my favorite of his releases. If you're into pop music like Prince, Kate Bush, or Animal Collective (probably bad examples, but it gives me those impressions anyhow), I'd say to definitely look into that. I've been spinning All Delighted People lately and enjoy it a lot, but I'd say to listen to the others before.

Does Carrie & Lowell give anyone else a strong Blood on the Tracks vibe?

17. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I need to crack out All Delighted People again. Because Adz followed it soon after I never properly listened to it.

Anti-Counter-Culture and zmtr like this.
  18. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Carrie & Lowell is one of the greatest albums I ever heard. I was profoundly moved by it and can remember exactly where I was/what I was doing when I first heard it. I checked it out on the strength of the review on AP (I think @sophos34 wrote it!) - the way he wrote about the song "John My Beloved" made me spotify the song, then the full album, there and then - and I am so damn glad I read it. Album will be a favorite of mine for a lifetime.

sophos34 likes this.
  19. zmtr

Trusted

I really don't like Age at all unfortunately. I very easily prefer All Delighted People. Which I hadn't listened to since this year because I thought it was all b-sides or something.

20. irthesteve

Age is certainly my favorite, but I love Illinoise nearly as much

21. mesi

Regular

No love for Michigan over here? Still my favorite Sufjan album. Tried listening to All Delighted People again today, still feels a little too disjointed for me.

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  22. Lucas27

Trusted

I just realized I never posted in here after doing so, but I listened to All Delighted People after your praise and have been listening non-stop since and I think it's easily my favorite behind Illinois and Carrie & Lowell now. Don't know how I've let it slip through the cracks. It's the perfect blend of traditional Sufjan with the Age of Adz sound.

"Arnika" is probably the most underrated Sufjan song ever. Can't believe I'd slept on it so long.

23. Lucas27

Trusted

MI is gorgeous.

24. irthesteve

Today = Christmas Infinity Voyage and Christmas Unicorn. Infinity specifically is extremely underrated and overlooked

25. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

if you like carrie and lowell and have never heard anything else by him you should go for seven swans next imo

chhholly123 likes this.