Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sufjan Stevens Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Letterbomb31, Apr 26, 2016.

1. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Nope, I walked to "save money". That was a mistake haha, getting off the island every night with 10,000 other people all trying to walk over the same small bridge was not worth it. I had taken the ferry to GovBall in years past though and that pretty much has the same problem. Were the bus lines bad?

2. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

Yeah I originally had ferry passes but I got a refund when the announced they were using ShareTheBus to do direct rides from hoboken. No lines since they were ticketed. It was a little more than double the ferry cost but worth it for direct rides. Only downside is you have to get to the festival at 1 and leave after the last show no matter what.

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  3. Horrorca

Trusted

revisiting 7S for the first time in a long time

such a powerful record

it's amazing how consistent this man has been and to such powerful extent

I love how he returned to this style after such maximalist albums in between - and acing everything in its own unique way but always with his unique vision

one of the greats for sure

awakeohsleeper and Lucas27 like this.
  4. Lucas27

Trusted

Seven Swans isn't my very favorite Sufjan record (not with Illinois and Carrie & Lowell on the table), but I just recently decided that "All the Trees of the Field Will Clap Their Hands" might be my favorite Sufjan song. I love how joyful the album is as a whole in comparison to his other work. Would love to hear another album in that same thematic vein, especially after Carrie & Lowell.

5. Horrorca

Trusted

interesting

while I do understand why you feel it's joyful, I feel it portrays a sense of awe, even a little bit of fear of this unknown presence and its mystery - which make sense because it is a pretty much a biblical album

Lucas27 likes this.
  6. zmtr

Trusted

Somehow I went all this time without ever listening to All Delighted People

It's incredible.. I feel like an idiot.

7. Horrorca

Trusted

it's my favorite Sufjan album so there...

zmtr likes this.
  8. dlemert

Trusted

I listened to Illinoise this weekend for the first time in a while and man that record is so timeless.

9. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

the title track of seven swans live at pitchfork was maybe the best live moment i have ever seen, partially because it started off the set and i wasn't prepared for what was to come

teebs41 and Gjpeace like this.
  10. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Seven Swans is the best, the songs are just the best he's ever written. Comparable moments on all the others but 7S is the only one that I really think is basically flawless. For someone whose appeal is often the bombast of the arrangements it is fairly clear at this point I think that he's at his peak when understated.

Lucas27 likes this.
  11. Horrorca

Trusted

I think ADP is his best because he balances all his facets into one immense statement

the minimalism/maximalism, the intimacy, the awe, the love, and the amazing songwriting and arrangements

plus it's got my favorite songs of his

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  12. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Adz and Illinoise are still my top 2, then I don't know after that

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  13. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Adz is my favorite but I like just about everything

I'm not picky with Sufjan

Lucas27 likes this.
  14. Lucas27

Trusted

As a Christian, I always equate that awe and fear with joy, even if the album itself is still pretty melancholy. It's a reminder to me that there's a hope beyond myself, however scary and mysterious it might be.

Age of Adz is crazy brilliant. But it's too much bombast for me. I'm with Surfwax about preferring his understated moments, although I love the balance in Illinois. Surprised Carrie & Lowell isn't being mentioned more in the favorite Sufjan album discussion.

I haven't listened to All Delighted People much, which is embarrassing because I consider Sufjan my favorite songwriter. I need to listen more. Been getting big into The Avalanche lately for the first time.

Also, Michigan is incredible. The more I listen, the more I'm convinced it's his most underrated record.

And I basically just talked about his entire discography. I get hyper on the internet when I'm stuck in bed.

15. Horrorca

Trusted

comments above in caps

Lucas27 likes this.
  16. Lucas27

Trusted

Good stuff. I don't know that I've ever seen someone respond to a comment in that manner. I'm honored. :) Going to listen to ADP again very soon...I know I've been missing out. And thanks! Hoping to be free of this cold tomorrow so I can get on with my life.

Or in keeping with the thread, "I want to be well, I want to be well, I want to be well, I want to be well..."

17. irthesteve

With the holidays coming up, no one forget to listen to some Sufjan Christmas!!!!

Anti-Counter-Culture and Nyquist like this.
  18. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

Listened to Stalker for the first time tonight. It's very shocking and unexpected in many ways to me, but I really enjoyed it.

19. irthesteve

It was never even found out if that is a Sufjan album or a fake

20. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

I feel like if the release itself was a gimmick by Stevens & Co., there'd have been a bigger publicity push. I'd hope it's not a fake in that the artist who would have actually made it should have just been proud of their work and released it.

21. zmtr

Trusted

I don't know if I can call it my favorite but I've been playing it on repeat over the last week. I think I never listened because I was told it was kind of an "idea dump" before Age of Adz. I just can't get into Adz. Love every other record though, and Impossible Soul is good.

22. zmtr

Trusted

Neither All Delighted People OR Djohariah feel bloated to me at all. Both songs go by in a flash. It's incredible.

23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Djohariah is dope. Gonna be a real dummy here and say that C&L is one of my favorite albums ever, I like a lot of songs on Illinois, listened to All Delighted People a few times and his Christmas stuff sometimes and literally nothing else of his.

I'm a bad fan.

24. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

25. fame

i thought this was chorus.FM?? Prestigious

i'd be very surprised if you didn't enjoy seven swans tbh

Lucas27, OhTheWater and Letterbomb31 like this.