Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sufjan Stevens Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Letterbomb31, Apr 26, 2016.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

yeah that was the best set I've probably ever seen

2. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

3. cwhit

gotta watch that

4. damn

5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Right?!?!? From the setlist and above video, it seems like the Pitchfork set was an extended version of the Coachella set, did he do all of Impossible Soul again?

6. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

DUUUUUDEEEEEE

His set at Panorama was probably the greatest thing ive ever seen. Holy fucking shit.

cwhit likes this.
  7. Kyle is hk

Everyone who hasn't seen him do Adz sets needs to empty their life saving and fly to wherever he is preforming next

8. cwhit

sure did
    from the moment the set started to the second it ended i was captivated

irthesteve likes this.
  9. cwhit

my friend missed sufjan because he wanted to get a better spot for kendrick. rough, rough situation

10. Kyle is hk

Idk man missing an entire epic set from a legend just to be slightly closer for another act that didn't really overlap seems like pretty poor decision making

mescalineeyes likes this.
  11. cwhit

from what i saw of the kendrick set though it seemed life changing

12. Kyle is hk

Just saying the festival wasn't packed enough that it was necessary. His setlist was pretty killer though.

13. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I watched like the first 4-5 songs of Sufjan then went over and had a great spot for Kendrick. Sufjan was cool, but I'm not into Age of Adz at all so after the Carrie & Lowell songs I was out.

14. cwhit

i don't get the people say "i'm not into the adz songs!" and still not be awed by the performance. i mean he had a shorter set time so he didn't play a lot of the stuff that helped supplement that stuff but it was truly a performance in every sense of the word

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  15. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I think the "performance" aspect of it is what disappointed me actually. I hated the way he turned "All of me wants all of you" into like a groovy 70s sex jam, for instance. It sort of robbed some of the songs of their emotion and turned them into a spectacle that felt weird for the sake of being weird.

Idk, I just wasn't too into the whole thing so I left and Kendrick was one of my favorite sets of the weekend so I don't regret it.

16. irthesteve

yeah, the performance without ANY music is still impressive. Adz songs are amazing live too however

cwhit likes this.
  17. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Adz is amazing. My fave Sufjan by a large margin.

18. irthesteve

Easily agree

19. Kyle is hk

I ended up just sitting in the grass for Kendrick. Was just too exhausted after Sufjan/The National back to back, after a second straight 10 hour day in 97 degree heat, to try getting up there.

Despite the brutal heat, pretty awesome weekend overall though. The selfish part of me hopes the coming years stay as not-packed.

20. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Same
    Same, haha. Had a really great time all 3 days. I wonder if Gov Ball was also undersold this year?

Top 5 sets for me were probably LCD, FKA Twigs, The Julie Ruin, Kendrick, and Run the Jewels. Had a blast at The Front Bottoms too, loved seeing them in that environment.

21. Kyle is hk

From what I gather GovBall was pretty packed, so we'll see how next year goes with Panorama being more established.

Top 5 Sets for me would probably go 1) Sufjan, 2) LCD, 3) The National, 4) Arcade Fire, 5) Broken Social Scene (or Silversun Pickups). There were quite a few acts I really enjoyed that I had never listened to like Foals, Oh Wonder, Front Bottoms, and Kurt Vile.

Despite going through like 4 camelbacks per day each, My girlfriend actually succumbed to (we think) heat exhaustion Sunday night, but luckily it didn't hit her until after LCD Soundsystem was over.

I'll be honest, I realllly didn't like FKA Twigs live. It was probably just the combination of the setting and heat, but I just couldn't get into the mindset for her. We left after 2 or 3 songs because the random noises just felt excruciating.

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  22. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Totally understandable, I was totally lost in the FKA set though. It was mesmerizing for me to the point where I kind of forgot where I was and how hot it was.

I also loved Broken Social Scene and Foals. Was a little disappointed in Arcade Fire, but only because I had seen them on the Reflektor tour and this was basically the same. They still put on an amazing show.

Sucks about the heat exhaustion, one of my friends had to leave a few songs into LCD and go sit down/get food and water because he felt like he was gonna pass out. The heat was definitely brutal, July in NYC is pretty much always going to suck though if they stick to that timing next year.

23. TedSchmosby

Trusted

The only album by Sufjan I've listened to is Carrie & Lowell, and even then only two or three times, but I listened to Aaron Freeman's solo album Freeman the other day and couldn't immediately figure out what it reminded me of, but realized by the third track that it was Sufjan vibes that I was picking up. Like, I don't know if I'd be able to differentiate the two. I'm going to go back to Carrie & Lowell soon, but I was wondering if any of you guys that are more familiar with Sufjan think that there are similarities? I know that when you're just warming up to something, it might take a while to dig a bit deeper and be able to disassociate it with other things you're more familiar with, and I'm not too familiar with either of these albums so maybe as I listen to them more I won't find them so similar

24. arewhyayein

Regular Supporter

Watching the weekend one performance of his from Coachella this year got me into him in a big way. I had given Illinoise a few listens and I own and enjoy carrie & lowell....... but watching that set was just something else. I've watched it a few more times and listened to Age of Adz a ton since. Can't believe I'd never heard it.

irthesteve likes this.
  25. Kyle is hk

You didn't happen to be on the Hoboken ShareTheBus did you?