Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sufjan Stevens - The Ascension (September 25, 2020) Album • Page 24

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by username, Jun 30, 2020.

1. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Go Sufjan!

2. congruence

Got a light?

This album feels like being wrapped in a warm blanket that occasionally gives you electric shocks lol, I mean that in a good and bad way. I can’t get behind the idea this is missing anything, it’s got catchy parts, glitchy wackiness, beauty. I think because he set the bar so high for some people with other albums it becomes easy to compare but listening to it as it’s own piece I still feel like I’m listening to a man who is beyond human in his levels of genius

ItsAndrew likes this.
  3. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

This album really has grown on me. The first few listens left me feeling a bit lost, but this is the kind of album that you are rewarded for repeated listens. I like it a lot more than I thought I ever would after the first listen.

Argus and Aaron Mook like this.
  4. Returned to this album for the first time in a few weeks and wow it's even better than I'd remembered. Got some new headphones recently and this was my first listen with those. There's so much cool stuff going on deeper in the mix on some of these tracks.

5. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

LWS likes this.
  6. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

coleslawed likes this.
  7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Pure insanity

8. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

This year continues to surprise...I don’t think I have room for this in my top 10 of 2020.

9. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Doubt this makes my top 25 tbh

10. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Feels weird saying this but I also have a feeling this will not crack my top 10. Not sure if it will even crack my top 25 but we will see.

11. It did not make my top 30

12. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I still think there are some great moments here, but it’s kind of a chore to get through. Feels like his first miss (though I wouldn’t say it’s bad).

stars143 likes this.
  13. It's not in my top 10 but def in my top 25. I think it's an experience record that I have to be in the mood for, but when I'm ready to listen to it in full, it really does things for me.

ItsAndrew likes this.
  14. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

It's currently #9 for me. I agree it's something that I will go back to when I'm in the mood more than something I listen to all the time, but that's kind of how I am with all Sufjan.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  15. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Definitely is one of my favorite album covers/designs from 2020

16. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it is currently #29 on my longlist, which is perfect

doubt it makes the final cut

17. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Yeesh. This is number one on my list.

18. one of my bigger disappointments this year, unfortunately

Rowan5215 likes this.
  19. The_Pioneer

Regular

Idk if I’ll make a formal top list, but this would likely be #1 for me (Though I haven’t listened to much music from this year).

I haven’t really revisited it as much as I’d like, but I was just enamored with this thing and it came at a time when I was struggling to get into any new music.

The title track is one of the best songs I’ve heard in maybe the past couple years.

Argus likes this.
  20. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Honestly don’t think this is correct. Though maybe cuz I listened to C&L for the first time a lot in the spring, revisited Illinois, and plus listened to The Ascension a handful of times.
    F16F34C1-E437-4720-8D7F-C0F4AF2123A0.png

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  21. zmtr

Trusted

This album is shaping up to be fantastic

coleslawed and Cameron like this.
  22. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Good job Steve

zmtr likes this.
  23. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious