Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sufjan Stevens - The Ascension (September 25, 2020) Album • Page 23

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by username, Jun 30, 2020.

1. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Adz feels like a folk record that used electronic instrumentation, and this feels like an actual electronic record to me. A lot more repetition and builds and whatnot. But Adz is also prob the one I’m least fully familiar with out of the last 4 proper albums (getting there though - i do love it) so I may not be the best judge there

sawhney[rusted]2 and Lucas27 like this.
  2. Lucas27

Trusted

This is a very interesting observation. Hadn't thought of it this way.

3. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I always found Adz exceptionally easy to relate to I guess. I think "Vesuvius" and "I Want to Be Well" are some of his most thrillingly emotional (and also just best) songs

title track on here is the only thing, so far, that's giving me that same rush of emotion :(

4. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Adz is cool but doesn’t work for me the way his others do

5. Lucas27

Trusted

Those are the two on the record (along with "Futile Devices" and a couple moments on "Impossible Soul") that I'd say really move me emotionally.

6. congruence

Got a light?

Only hearing Carrie and Lowell and some other songs here and there and no Adz seems to have helped my enjoyment of this album. I don’t think anything has hit harder lyrically/personally than the title track on here in a long time

Aaron Mook likes this.
  7. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

The main thing I noticed on first listen was the lack of textures this album has. He tends to layer his compositions with harmonies and instruments and ambience to the point where they feel like they’re exploding with color. This album felt very stark in comparison, almost cold and hollow. I’ll have to give it another listen soon, see if this grows on me.

8. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I’ve been trying but this just isn’t sticking for me :/

BoldTitan likes this.
  9. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I like this album a ton, but can't listen to it outside of a pair of good headphones. Maybe that'll help you guys?

10. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

It didn't grab me on my first listen, but after spending quite a bit of time with it, I'm really enjoying this record.

11. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

The Ascension is still one of the best songs I have heard this year. So good.

congruence and mad like this.
  12. congruence

Got a light?

This album is so chaotic and beautiful, not sure how else to put it... certainly takes a certain mindset to get fully into it

13. ImAMetaphor

About half the times I've listened I've had the thought "this is my AOTY" and half the times it's been "this doesn't work" so I don't really know.

SmashRipsaw likes this.
  14. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

This gets better with every listen. This is my AOTY unless something truly incredible comes out in the 2 months.

awakeohsleeper, LWS and Argus like this.
  15. congruence

Got a light?

Not yet at AOTY for me but this certainly has some of the best songs I have heard all year on it and there are so many moments I am in love with here

Argus likes this.
  16. Matt Chylak likes this.
  17. BoldTitan

Trusted

Really sad this was the direction after the masterpiece of C&L.

18. ImAMetaphor

I like the direction, but a lot of it just feels like it’s missing something to me.

19. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

i like this more than C&L

20. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Yeah C+L is like, my... 5th? 6th favorite Sufjan project

21. ImAMetaphor

C&L definitely reigns supreme for me, ha. But it was also (maybe) my first Suf album. Either that or Michigan, I can’t remember.

22. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

23. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yeah after my fifth listen I enjoy this immensely. Nobody mentioning Death Star enough. Songs a jam

Aaron Mook likes this.
  24. ImAMetaphor

Death Star - Goodbye to All That is definitely one of the better parts of the record imo.

25. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

I wouldn't shut up about Death Star the day the album came out.