Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sufjan Stevens - The Ascension (September 25, 2020) Album • Page 22

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by username, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Lucas27

Trusted

Yeah, this is the biggest surprise. There are plenty of Sufjan records I love, but the repeatability factor isn't there. This record is longer than the rest of his albums and honestly (maybe) not as dynamic or diverse in ways. There's no way it shouldn't feel tired and bloated, yet I feel compelled to listen to every song in a way I don't feel with any other Sufjan record (besides maybe C&L).

ImAMetaphor likes this.
  2. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

3. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Figured out that I can take or leave these tracks - Ativan, Ursa Major, & Gilgamesh. When I leave them, this album is way easier to put on for a full run through.

4. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

i must admit i see where @phaynes12 is coming from, each song on this is literally a shining gem but at the same time i been ready to wrap up for about 20 now

waking season and phaynes12 like this.
  5. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

right haha? it's kind of a slog as a whole but it's hard to cut much at a smaller level

waking season likes this.
  6. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I really liked this but it’s also so long I don’t know how much I’ll return to it in full. I absolutely love Run Away With Me, Make Me an Offer I Cannot Refuse, Tell Me You Love Me, Lamentations, and Landslide though.

phaynes12 likes this.
  7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Strange to me that the length is such a talking point for a Sufjan album, Illinois and Adz are both just as long, and I'm pretty sure Michigan too

ComedownMachine and ItsAndrew like this.
  8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

While true, Adz and Illinoise are WAYYYYY more dynamic. Not saying that in any way as a negative about this album, but both those albums go in so many different musical directions that it's easier to digest.

waking season and jordalsh like this.
  9. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I find this to be a surprisingly immersive experience.

10. JM95

Trusted

I'm hesitant to say that this album is 'too long' but it's definitely the case for me personally. There's some really cool stuff here but the sound palette is too similar across record for me to be able to listen to this for eighty minutes.

11. congruence

Got a light?

wow...singles didn't really pull me in but I will never not give him a chance and as of now it is still sinking in but "The Ascension" hit me first and now feeling like "Tell Me You Love Me" is one of his best, just amazing

waking season and Serenity Now like this.
  12. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I can’t say I enjoyed this album tbh. I love Age of Adz but this paled in comparison.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  13. mad

I was right. Prestigious

my opinion on this album is that all of the songs are good

14. zmtr

Trusted

Hot take: I would take multiple singular tracks from this album over the entirety of Adz

coleslawed and waking season like this.
  15. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

.......... futile devices?

DaydreamNation likes this.
  16. zmtr

Trusted

phaynes12 likes this.
  17. username

hey you lil piss baby

Wild that this record has proven so divisive, I would not have expected it. It’s like the logical blend of all that he’s been up to for the last decade. Interested to see how it’s treated by the time we get to EOTY coverage.

coleslawed, ItsAndrew and azzy01 like this.
  18. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

It’s definitely been growing on me. Ursa Major, and Gilgamesh are my favs

19. My Magnolia Record Club pressing came in yesterday, very excited to spin in tonight with a few drinks

Cameron likes this.
  20. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

Finally got to listen to this. A bit long and there was a stretch in the middle that lost me but those last 3 songs are incredible. The Ascension in particular feels absolutely revelatory.

21. sooner518

Regular

really struggling with this album but "Tell Me You Love Me" is really damn good.

chhholly123 and congruence like this.
  22. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I am honestly glad people are getting something out of this album I'm not getting (and really wish I was) but.... this take physically hurt me :/

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  23. zmtr

Trusted

sorry buddy

it’s an incredible record, don’t get me wrong.. just doesn’t connect with me like the rest of his stuff

sawhney[rusted]2 and Lucas27 like this.
  24. Lucas27

Trusted

Listened to Age of Adz earlier. It's a brilliant record. I don't argue with people who say it's his best because it's a work of genius. But man, I just find it hard to love. It's like a piece of machinery that's impressive, but I don't find easy to connect with apart from a few key songs.

The Ascension really resonates with me on a personal level the whole way through. It's definitely not as dynamic, but it's just as impressive to me and easier to listen to and connect with.

sawhney[rusted]2 and zmtr like this.
  25. azzy01

Regular

My exact thoughts. I really thought this would have been better received. It has the experimental nature of adz mixed with the intimate lyrics and vocals of Carrie (more or less). It's definitely a contender for my fave album of his. This is Def one of the most perplexing cases I've seen yet

ItsAndrew likes this.