Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sturgill Simpson - Sound and Fury (September 27, 2019) Album • Page 9

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DarkHotline, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Yea that’s a bit of a leap there

2. shea

RIP Supporter

I’m one of few people apparently that doesn’t love this record, but I just left from seeing him play the whole thing and GOD DAMN what a show.

3. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

DaydreamNation likes this.
  4. Damn hope he's alright. If it's been this long I'd imagine he's over the worst of it by now

Aaron Mook likes this.
  5. If he got in on tour in Europe I wonder if anyone from his or Tyler's band and crew got it since they went on tour together right after

6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

noooo

7. atlas

Trusted

coronavirus has tested positive for Sturgill Simpson

ItsAndrew, JBoch, radiodead and 3 others like this.
  8. phaynes12

the big homie’s IG presence is off the rails. he loves his memes.

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  9. Barcara

Regular

I'm not sure how to embed but Sturgills latest IG post says his label (finally) dropped him.

Pretty obviously the whole Dick Daddy schtick (and I imagine Sound and Fury) was him throwing up the middle finger to them and he got his wish in the end.

He's now doing a charity fundraiser, and with his new found freedom he says if they hit $500,000 by next Saturday he'll release an album this year. If he reaches $1,000,000 he'll release two.

EDIT: Here's the text:

We have raised over $100,000 in five days for severely wounded US Special Forces Soldiers and the families of those KIA, Musicares Covid-19 Relief, and Nashville Tornado Relief and the eBay auction items are already higher than a giraffe’s ass...you guys are truly amazing human beings.
    All of you.

So now hear this... •If we raise another $100,000 by 5pm Saturday May 23rd I will perform a one hour solo acoustic concert on IGTV Live •If we raise $500,000 by 5pm Saturday May 23rd I will put out a record this year • ——————————————————————— (EDIT)
    I’m as tickled as a puppy with two peiners to say that I accomplished what more than a couple high powered attorneys told me could not be done and got out of my label contract with one single psycho-ass performance art interview (TOTALLY worth the fall out). Never ever EVER underestimate the power of the word “no” or being “difficult” kids and like I always say,..if ya ever want the suits and the critics to take you seriously as an artist, first thing you gotta do is make em’ believe you are completely and utterly batshit insane. Lucky for me I got that shit in spades.

So now hear this...since I now have total creative/artistic freedom to do whatever DA FUCK I want again, and since I got laid off by the ‘Rona and lost my job I officially ain’t got shit else to do so...
    IF WE RAISE $1 MILLION DOLLARS BY SATURDAY MAY 23RD I WILL PUT OUT TWO RECORDS THIS YEAR....Thats right...you heard me...TWO.
    Some quick math for ya..if every one of my followers bought a $10 DDSS enamel pin then my freckled ass will be spending a shit ton of time in a studio this summer instead of going on my seven years overdue/now cancelled/post-tour family vacation to the land of speedo’s, topless tapas, and suntanned perineums that I promised my wife I’d unplug my workaholic ass long enough to take her and the kids on.

If you fail this will be Dick Daddy’s last post.

www.sturgillsimpson.com (link in bio)

Go. There. Now.

10. zmtr

Trusted

Sounds like he's recording a bluegrass album

11. fantastic news tbh

zmtr and Anthony Brooks like this.
  12. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Yea i loved this album but I’m ready for a return to that sound

zmtr likes this.
  13. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

sooooo excited for that

zmtr likes this.
  14. shea

RIP Supporter

Bluegrass videos been removed from his ig but there’s this now:

wonder if there’s not an album and they were just rehearsing for this? It’s the only post on there now.

JBoch and DaydreamNation like this.
  15. He deleted all his old insta posts before posting the bluegrass stuff too, I think that might just be his style now haha

And they were in a studio fwiw

zmtr and shea like this.
  16. phaynes12

hell yeah, that'll be nice to have recovering from this wisdom teeth surgery

DaydreamNation likes this.
  17. shea

RIP Supporter

i remember he said he would possibly record 2 albums depending on how much money he raised but i missed if there was any follow up on that before he deleted everything.

a friend of mine was saying he read he's just reimagining old songs in a bluegrass style but i haven't been able to find any info on that.

18. According to Instagram, I believe he just said "I promised you a record" (singular), and the video/caption definitely hinted at him revisiting his catalog "the way it was meant to be heard," mentioned something about grass or roots, but I don't recall all of the specifics

shea likes this.
  19. Y'all I'm not sure Sturgill knows exactly what he's up to any more than we do but that's fine by me, I'm along for the ride

20. shea

RIP Supporter

i get that vibe as well. someone commented saying they were surprised this live stream was going to be available on twitch and he replied something like "somebody is setting all this up for me. just found out what twitch is yesterday." lol

21. atlas

Trusted

yeah I've just accepted that Sturgill is gonna say whatever and I'm just along for the ride

phaynes12, shea and DaydreamNation like this.
  22. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

I revisited Sound and Fury for the first time in a while yesterday and it still rips just as hard as it did the first time I heard it. Such a unique album. Like everyone else said, I don't care what he puts out just as long as he keeps giving us new music.

23. phaynes12

it’s fantastic lol. i’d take 5 more of that sound but i’ll also take anything from him

24. Kylee

Regular

Same here. Sound and Fury is my favorite album of his.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  25. phaynes12

sailors guide is still my favorite but it’s close